Gold Cup - Friday 16th March 2018 (Day 4)

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Gold Cup - Friday 16th March 2018 (Day 4)

Postby Gman84 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Sizing John as short as 4's now after todays win with Djakadam out to as much as 25's with Betfred. Coral the best remaining price on Sizing John at 6's.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Personally, i would expect Yorkhill to run in the Ryanair rather than the Gold Cup.

Even if he was to run in the Gold Cup, i certainly couldn't back him at his current price of 8/1 considering he has yet to run over further than 2m 5f
What has Mullins got to win it then because Djakadam isn’t going to progress to taking the victory.

I think he’ll try Yorkhill but will come up short on the day and Might Bite will stretch away having jumped the last.
MIGHT BITE did what was required today. Thought Coney Island jumped well yesterday and looked a solid stayer too. Shaping up to be a good renewal

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:16 am

The Christmas Chase at Leopardstown brought more questions than answers although I can’t see Yorkhill coming to this now and maybe they go back over hurdles.

The form of Christmas Chase going forward to the Gold Cup is mixed at best so I wouldn’t be overly concerned for the likes of Sizing John or overly encouraged by the Gigginstown 1-2-3.

Of those that run today I think Minella Rocco’s run was encouraging. Travelled well, jumped sound, was a little tapped for toe when things developed into the turn for Home but stayed on well and in a similar finish up the hill he’d be eating up the ground. Still some 33’s with William Hill.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:23 am

It's been a strange couple of weeks, could we yet have another shock result in March or did any of the big guns just have an off day, and bounce back in Jan/Feb when they next run, if they don't run it will give us even more to think about
OLBG Moderator

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:14 am

It just makes it look extremely open. Nearly every major contender has put in a stinker except for Might Bite and even his King George win wasn’t what I would call impressive...more workmanlike (which seems a strange description for a horse as quirky as he is) but he does have the form in the book so deserves to be fav and he should be better on good ground.

The only principle we don’t know lots about at present is Native River who is still hanging around not far off the top of the market as much by default as anything else. He’s having a racecourse gallop this week apparently and will either run on trials day or in the Denman Chase in early Feb. It’ll be interesting to see which of he other main contenders try either of those races.

Will we even see Sizing John. Reports suggest he wasn’t right and the vets checked him over afterward and the Harrington team are running tests. Robbie Power said he didn’t feel right so at least there appears to be an explanation for his poor run. I thought he was ok but hit one about 4 or 5 out that seemed to knock the stuffing out of him but RP seems to think he wasn’t right way before that.

Basically, I think if you’ve already backed something, don’t let one poor run get you down too much, a lot can change between now and then and it’ll come down to who runs best on the day.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:21 am

I guess one thing I’ve actualky failed to mention is the actually winner of the Christmas Chase. Is Road To Respect a real contender in people’s eyes?

He had the right type of profile in that he’ll be a first time GC runner, 6yo (7 when the race takes place) with not too many miles on the clock and lots of potential. He’s improved past Outlander, who beat him in the JNWine at Down Royal, he’s won at the festival (won the Plate last year) and seems better for the step up to 3m+.

I guess he’s just got to prove he can do it again but profile-wise, there’s quite a lot to like and he has to be Gigginstown’s number one contender now surely?

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:33 pm

I’m not sure why Coney Island is not being considered a threat. Jumped and stayed on well. Could be a little Ew price

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Haven't a clue about this race at all :P

PompeyJim
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Thistlecrack ruled out of Gold Cup for second successive year due to injury.

Really disappointing news after his promising run in the King George where he showed much more compared to his racecourse return from injury at Newbury before Christmas.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Might explain his 2 disappointing efforts this season.....you say promising run in the King George, I think he's looked half the horse he did from 12 months previous in my opinion.

PompeyJim
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 pm

He did look half the horse he was in the King George Brownie3 but that effort was a major improvement on his comeback run over hurdles at Newbury where he stopped to nothing, even allowing for the fact that was his first start in best part of a year connections were obviously hoping for more at Newbury.

I'm disappointed because I think the race loses an important cog with the hope he may have been able to give the main principals a run for their money on the back of the Kempton run where he got fairly close to Might Bite when they turned into the straight.

I'm always a bit wary backing returning horses after they have suffered major injuries as it seems to take the edge off them (Sprinter Sacre not included!) and in particular Thistlecrack's case as we probably will never know as regards winning a Gold Cup, perhaps that ding dong with the late great Many Clouds at Cheltenham last January really has left it's mark.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 pm

With a couple of firms now NRNB I've gone in on Road To Respect at 11's with William Hill.

With Thistlecrack out of the picture, Sizing John having a question to answer and my selection having the right kind of profile (2nd season chaser, former festival winner) I just think that price won't be about on the day, it'll likely get close to half of the price so going in now and have the protection of NRNB.