Cheltenham Festival - Thursday 16th March Discussion

Macca77
2yo
Tips

Re: Cheltenham Festival - Thursday 16th March Discussion

Postby Macca77 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 pm

The form of the Mullins yard is a massive worry, that's why I've gone against Yorkhill in the 1.30, Top Notch has done everything he's been asked to do this year, bolted up last time out and I fancy him to do the same here this afternoon

Clearo611
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Clearo611 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm

I agree with the comment about Geraghty stating that the onfact Ride he would really miss this week is Uxizandre. Given the horses he could have got on (favourites for champion and stayers hurdles spring to mind) that speaks volumes to me. I agree that UDS will find it too quick and get tapped for toe. There also has to be the nagging doubt about the Mullins horses. Could their and Ruby's week have gone any worse?

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Just a friendly reminder that a brand new one-a-day competition starts today over in the horse racing forum. We've been at Cheltenham all week and go again to start the new race by picking one in the Pertemps Final. Cash prizes for the winner and runner up and we have a good bunch of regulars but always good to see new blood :win:

Derbz87
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Derbz87 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Mullins novice hurdlers this year have all been a much of a muchness really - Senewalk was supposed to be the next big thing but that went wrong and he's being saved for next season. Melon was really late making his debut and has been miraculous to get where he has in such a short space of time. We should have seen the writing on the wall when he sent out Crack Mome to contest the Moscow Flyer and he got turned over by Any Second Now, the third horse Runfordave runs in tomorrows Martin Pipe so clearly that wasn't a great renewal. Bacardys wasn't fancied for the Deloitte and then they ummed and AH'd over running him in an Albert Bartlett and then somehow he ended up 7/2 yesterday for a Neptune. By contrast Yorkhill came over here last year took the Tolworth in impressive style and then they were really bullish about him in whichever race he ran in even against what looked a banker in Yanworth. The quality just isn't there this year for whatever reason, I don't know if Gigginstown pulling the horses has had a knock-on effect down the chain? Last year he took Petit Mouchoir and Bellshill with Min to the Supreme. It's probably too early to write off the likes of Bunk Off Early and some of the others but they were very light on experience coming in and could just prove to be really average horses. Even the bumper horses - Carter Mckay was reasonably well fancied yesterday and flopped but it's been well documented that earlier on in the season Mullins suspected he had a really really average bunch of bumper horses compared to past years.

TurboBetting
2yo
Tips

Postby TurboBetting » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:06 pm

The form is a huge concern, yes, however I read somewhere this morning that Yorkhill has been the only (or one of very few) Mullins' horses to be afforded a public workout before the festival - so perhaps that might be there to confuse us even more.

Also, Yard issues aside - how is the betting in the order that it is for the Mares Novice Hurdle? Airlie Beach has a Grade 1 victory against her name last time out against the lads by a cosy 6 and a half lengths too. Let's Dance on the other hand, yes has won a Grade 2 but surely the form is with Airlie Beach? I think the value is away from the Ricci horse to be honest.

Nunnylad
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Nunnylad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:17 pm

I agree with the comment about Geraghty stating that the onfact Ride he would really miss this week is Uxizandre. Given the horses he could have got on (favourites for champion and stayers hurdles spring to mind) that speaks volumes to me. I agree that UDS will find it too quick and get tapped for toe. There also has to be the nagging doubt about the Mullins horses. Could their and Ruby's week have gone any worse?
Agree about Geraghty and UDS but with regards to Mullins, is it really that surprising? First day, I expected him to only get 1 winner(Mares Hurdle). Second day, I expected him to get 1 winner(Douvan). It isn't like he has had 4 or 5 proper short priced favourites like previous years, many of his best horses from previous couple years are missing remember, there's no Annie Power, Vautour or Faugheen.

Yorkhill is another horse who, while favourite, it is no surprise if he gets turned over because he is far from straightforward, Jamie Codd calling him the most ignorant horse he has ever seen. UDS, another favourite today, is it surprising if he gets beat? Absolutely not, and many expect him to be beat given how quick the ground is. It's too easy to be like "another Mullins horse has lost, something must be up", but when you look at each race closely, it really isn't all that surprising.

benucci
At Stud
Tips

Postby benucci » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 pm

13:30 1:30 Cheltenham 25 EW Politologue (Daily Racing) 8 BetVictor

"To me its between Yorkhill ad Politologue here, both have strong form in the locker, but Mullins is out of form and Yorkhill is in for a mistake. So if Yorkhill fails to jump neatly i can see Politologue taking advantage of this."

13:30 1:30 Cheltenham 50 Win Yorkhill (Daily Racing) 2.5 bet365

"If Politologue fails to deliver on the good ground i can see Yorkhill hosing up in this also with a few errors. The field isnt that good this year."

14:50 2:50 Cheltenham 25 EW Empire Of Dirt (Daily Racing) 4 bet365

"In a poor renewal i go with Empire of Dirt who loves the Good Going and improves at a fast rate for trainer Gordon Elliott."
Blog 1 closed: Benuccis Paddock Selections
Endbalance after 17 Days: +99,73 Units 1 Unit staked per Bet

marksutherland
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby marksutherland » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:27 pm

The whole thing with the form of the Mullins stable, I don't believe it, just because in the past he has absolutely cleaned up at the festival and this years festival he goes 2 days without a winner, doesn't mean theres something wrong. His horses have been running well in my opinion other than Douvan who lets just say didn't run to form. Horses do that, they all have an off day every now and then, I remember the same happened to Vautour, had a blip and came back next time and won as easy as he liked. Lets say Mullins cleans up today and wins the Gold Cup, all this talk about the stable not being in form will be completely forgotten. Form is temporary, class is permanent, do not be surprised if he has a good day today and tomorrow.

kevgar85
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby kevgar85 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Yorkhill by far the best in that race. Ante post accas still going. Barney Dwan in the next

DhenBhoy
Listed Class
Tips

Postby DhenBhoy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Yorkhill by far the best in that race. Ante post accas still going. Barney Dwan in the next
Beg to differ, TOP NOTCH threw it away with his jump at the second last. Not sure Yorkhill would have held on otherwise.

Nunnylad
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Nunnylad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Beg to differ, TOP NOTCH threw it away with his jump at the second last. Not sure Yorkhill would have held on otherwise.
Nonsense, Yorkhill on the bridle going over the last, Top Notch in full drive. Yorkhill also had a poor last jump.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Just a friendly reminder that a brand new one-a-day competition starts today over in the horse racing forum. We've been at Cheltenham all week and go again to start the new race by picking one in the Pertemps Final. Cash prizes for the winner and runner up and we have a good bunch of regulars but always good to see new blood :win:
Whoops! Correction, it's the Plate at 4:10 that is todays race!