Cheltenham Festival 2017 Review

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Cheltenham Festival 2017 Review

Postby nors » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 pm

So 2 days in what are members take on the Festival both from a general point of view and from a betting point of view?

There seems more interest than ever from the non regular betting public

My tipping has been abysmal especially Tombstone who inexplicably ran so poorly. Douvan and Neon Wolf losing i expect has buggered up quite a few bets today.

LiverpoolAC
Handicapper
Tips

Re: Cheltenham Festival 2017 Review

Postby LiverpoolAC » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Mfrom a betting point of view not to bad mainly thanks to a big lump on altoir yesterday and wins for beuvar dair and Tully easy today I'm gonna break even thanks to last minute backing the field against douvan.

As a whole I feel it's been a poor Cheltenham this year doesn't seem to have much star quality about it with a lot of big names missing due to injuries and feel about 3/4 of the races would have had different results but can't do much about that

horage
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby horage » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Willie Mullins horses are sick ;by the look of it not out of form or a bit below par but sick;gordon elliott and nicky henderson look to

have their strings fit and ready to win ....still 2 days to go and more surprises to come.

Derbz87
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Derbz87 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Wouldn't write Mullins off too much Melon and Footpad probably ran if not to form then above it on Day One. Apples Jade was the best mare on the day Vroum Vroum and Limini ran their races. Somethings obviously not right with Douvan today. Bacardys was terribly hampered in his race, we'll never know where he'd have come. Belshill actually ran quite well, surpassed my expectations. The handicaps they've never done that well in. He's got a much weaker novice hurdle team this year I'd say and that could have a knock on effect down the line. Some very good chances tomorrow, arguably his best of the week behind Douvan in Yorkhill and Lets Dance/Airlie Beach and Un De Sceaux has a chance too.

Summarising it so far.... looked a weak Supreme going in and I have a feeling the slightly slowly run affair may mean the better horses didn't necessarily come to the fore. Labaik will remain an enigma as long as he has these issues at the start. Front three in the Neptune look useful and pulled clear. Altior did enough in the Arkle and is still very exciting. Superb mares hurdle race. Handicaps have been entertaining and puzzling as ever.

I'll eat humble pie because the stand-out performance so far has been Buveur D'air. May have been an average Champion Hurdle but he thrashed them, I got that one completely wrong before hand but I'm sure I won't be alone. He's been the star so far for me.

I still maintain I was correct to suggest opposing Might Bite in what had to be one of the freakiest looking races I've ever had. If the horse can run and jump at that speed all the way round without the quirks he might well be a Gold Cup horse. I'm not sure what Nico was doing on him to be honest because he very nearly got the fractions all wrong when he probably had the race sewn up like he did at Kempton, before he got near the hill. He jumped the last very tired and then tried to run out and practically came to a halt through exhaustion with what must have been a furlong maybe more still to run. It looks if anything that Whisper got to him too early because that coupled with the loose horse seemed to galvanise him and he just about got up but he must have been a good 12 lengths clear at one point and in the end the two of them nearly came backwards to the staying on Bellshill. 10/1 quotes for a Gold Cup to me seemed laughably bad although he is still a young horse, has a lot of talent and the right trainer to hopefully reign in these tendencies.
Last edited by Derbz87 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 pm

With regards to the Mullins form I have a feeling that they've perhaps approached the festival a tad over-confident. Ruby appeared far too relaxed on the ITV morning show for me and he seemed 'to lack the 'hunger' of say Jack Kennedy. Maybe that extends to the stable, I don't know.

As ever, it's been fascinating, but nothing spectacular as yet. Although I was very impressed with the Bumper winner's acceleration. Time will tell whether the form works out on that one and perhaps a tracker on the top 10 places will show how good it was over time.

The form of last years Supreme seems to be working out well, with Petit Mouchaire placed in the Champion Hurdle and Altior, Buveur D'Aire and now Supersundae all winners. Only Tombstone today has fluffed his lines.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Any more thoughts after Thursday's results?

Hoping to do a review of the pre Cheltenham forum posts so hopefully we can learn something for next year.

Have any big ante post bets come in?

Which races threw up a lot of shocks?

Which members mentioned which horses where we can praise the poster for his/her insight.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:04 pm

The dust has settled on Cheltenham 2017 can members give us their thoughts, did we learn anything that we can use at Aintree or Cheltenham 2018 or in our future betting.

Tuesday and Wednesday i lost but Thursday and Friday i won. I backed these horses in some ways on Friday. This was my best festival for a long time, i can thank Shrews and Micko who if i was unsure between a few horses then i checked their trends and went with the better trainer trend. Robmulls blogs were brilliant during the Festival and again his narrowing down of the field really helped. All the Cheltenham blogs enhanced my enjoyment and helped me win more cash.

1.Defi Du Seuil - P Hobbs - R Johnson - 5/2f
1.Penhill - W Mullins - P Townend - 16/1
2.Monalee - H De Bromhead - D Mullins - 8/1
1.Sizing John - J Harrington - R Power - 7/1
2.Verni - P Hobbs - T Cheesman - 25/1
2.Gardefort - Miss V Williams - D Jacob - 20/1
4thDandridge - A Moore - D Russell - 13/2

I do think that a mixture of bookies, exchanges, spread betting really helped me profit, you could compare and contrast and if one had better prices then go down that avenue + if all three were positive on a horse you felt confident that they knew.

The offers from the bookies were fantastic and that must surely have helped profits? In the last i had 2 free bets on both Gardefort and Dandridge, so i paid nothing and won xxx.

Cant wait now for Aintree as i normally do better at Aintree than Cheltenham, Lets see.

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Postby Zipster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm

I personally am not quite sure what to make of the festival this year, I kind of lost interest halfway through day three and then only watched the Gold Cup on Friday although the others were on in the background whilst I watched other things.

I decided pre-festival that I was going to do things different this year and stakes would be kept to a minimum, with the exception of 2015 my festival experience from a betting perspective have not been great so this year I decided to go into the 4 days and dutch my picks each day and with the prices of my picks it meant on 3 of the 4 days just 1 winner would leave me in profit of the day and I managed to hit a winner each each day so all bar Thursday were profitable when I only hit Un De Sceaux so it was a small loss that day.

I only went into the festival with one ante-post bet which was on Melon at 10/1 so that was no good.

I personally found the level of quality at the festival was poor this year, I backed Sizing John in the Gold Cup because it was a poor GC and he would not have won it in recent years, a lot of strong favourites just not turning up, I wasn't on him but Tombstone was very poor, Douvan shocking and both Death Duty and Cantlow also disappointed for me. There was a lack of favourites putting in runs to match their prices I felt.

On the other side of the coin, I thought the OLBG Mares race was one of the best at the festival, what a cracking finish that was, Defi Du Seuil was the standout performer for me with Artic Fire winning off such a lump of 11-12 not too far behind him.

So for me, from the betting side, I have come out on top which is the most important thing, from a viewing spectacle, I lost interest!
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

xamgin
2yo
Tips

Postby xamgin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 am

That's cool!

NickS8
2yo
Tips

Postby NickS8 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Hey, really good review !