Official OLBG Cheltenham Preview Tips - The Racing World Is Watching!

whatcanisay
2yo
Tips

Re: Official OLBG Cheltenham Preview Tips - The Racing World Is Watching!

Postby whatcanisay » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Cheltenham seems tougher than ever to pick in advance with so many trainers keeping their options open but this year aside from the obvious (douvan and Altior) the best bet for me has to be uknowhatimeanharry as he won at last years festival showing battling qualities and this year all he has done is travel so well over all his rivals and serious threats are thin on the ground with the Mullins horses being rerouted elsewhere and he's beaten almost all the other contenders,so he likes the course certain to stay and hard to pick a rival to beat him,11-8 looks big,NAP of the festival.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks Buckz990 what we do need to make the preview a worldwide success and in line for a 2018 Academy Award for best factual documentary is:

1. For members to tell their (twitter, facebook, google+,instagram, snapchat, people in the pub, next door neighbours, ) friends about the streaming of the preview night
2. Excellent selections on this thread.

sportingsamcan
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby sportingsamcan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks Buckz990 what we do need to make the preview a worldwide success and in line for a 2018 Academy Award for best factual documentary is:

1. For members to tell their (twitter, facebook, google+,instagram, snapchat, people in the pub, next door neighbours, ) friends about the streaming of the preview night
2. Excellent selections on this thread.
Point 2 is really important from a personal view, I want to showcase and tell the world why we have the best tipsters on the OLBG site and app.

If i don't have your input I am going to be sat on stage saying very little for two hours :(

Thanks to those that have contributed so far. Keep them coming!

bigjeff
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby bigjeff » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 pm

I don't normally comment but here goes.

For me, my pick would be in the first, Airlie Beach, 7yr old mare trained by the great Willie Mullins. She hasn't run this year but last year she had 7 outings, 6 from July to Dec and she won every race. Her weight has been steady but it is the ground that can prove this mare a winner, on all the fields she ran on last year the going was GD and GD to SFT, and with racing seven times and winning seven times with four different jockeys, i can see this horse taking a steal on the opener, but the going is the main thing, anything soft or soft to heavy and upwards I can see her getting pulled, but at 12/1 , worth an E/W easily...

ARQ007
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby ARQ007 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 pm

My best (AP) bet for the Festival has to be Unowhatimeanharry, a four time winner at Prestbury Park who's looked imperious this season. He's won 8 in a row, on all types of ground, and has beaten some seasoned campaigners in the process. With question marks around all his major opposition in the Stayers hurdle (will they run? will they stay? can they recover from an uninspiring run LTO?) and the fact that this horse always seems to have a little left in reserve when he wins, he surely has to be on everyone's short-list for the Festival.

campbell64
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby campbell64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:42 am

15:30 Cheltenham 16 Mar 2017Sun Bets Stayers' Hurdle (Grade 1) (4YO plus)

Tip Cole Harden Current Price 9/1

Unowhatimeanharry will be considered by many as a meeting banker, however there are chinks in the armour. My selections trainer did a TV interview prior to finishing runner up to todays favourite, He stated that his horse was not quite spot on but will give the others something to think about on ground the horse didn't really enjoy. Of course we all now know Cole Harden was beaten just over a length, but was staying on again. The extra distance I think will benefit my selection and if gets the preferred good ground could I think halt the favourites winning run. I keep watching replay's of the above last time out encounter and Unnowwhatimeanharry was definitely coming to the end of his tether at the finish. Was giving Cole Harden 8lb that day, running off levels in this race but better ground and extra distance I hope will offset this?

After a long but brilliant campaign Unkowhatimeanharry is also my Lay

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 am

Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle - Friday 17th March

Selection - Death Duty - 5/2 (General)

Represents leading connections and a horse that Gordon Elliott has called "His best ever Novice Hurdler". 4 from 4 over hurdles, having boasted an impressive Bumper record last season. Won impressively on last start to claim the Grade 1 Lawlors Novice Hotel. Trip and sounder surface are an unknown, but clearly progressive and the one to beat.

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:05 am

Pertemps Network Final Handicap Hurdle 2.10 16th March

I am going to place over a runner from this handicap where a number of runners still hold their declarations but a percentage will not run.

PRESENTING PERCY is my answer to this race and the annoying part, his price is fairly poor at 6/1 and at this stage could be well worth the wait until the day, with the view he could be a bigger price.

What I have seen with many of the field, they may not be progressive as first thought, where this six year old looks to progressing in the right way.

Breeding could be the pointer towards this ones chances being by Derby winner Sir Percy, with this, conditions with ground and stamina can be his forte to adapt to what is on offer, as he looks to have a good cruising speed and he gave notice with him winning at Fairyhouse where Davy Russell had an armchair ride (so to speak).
This was over twenty furlongs, the step up in trip on better ground could see him reversing positions with his defeatist Electric Concorde when they met at Leopardstown, this day Jim Culloty charge was a pound better off.

Trainer Patrick Kelly has two runners declared for Cheltenham and this one looks to be a positive one, with him entered PRESENTING PERCY only for this race.

Hopefully we can see a big run from this one on Wednesday.

curlycov
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby curlycov » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 pm

TRIUMPH HURDLE: MEGA FORTUNE

Ante post favourite Defi Du Seuil has been at the head of the market for the last couple of months and deservedly so but a closer look into the form now lacks real depth to it although his two wins at Cheltenham are valuable to have experience wise.

But the one I like is the Gordon Elliott trained Mega Fortune who has creditable form in Ireland this term but it was his win last time out at Leopardstown that showed that he is definitely going the right way. Noticeably ridden closer to the pace and perhaps more importantly wearing cheekpieces on for the first time over hurdles, won with them on the flat. He reversed the form around with Bapaume which shows that he is going into the festival going forward form wise and the track at Cheltenham ought to play to his strengths.

lonhro
Handicapper
Tips

Postby lonhro » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Bunk off Early looked like winner in the Deloitte until the last 100 yards. That was over 2m 2f, so shorter distance in the Supreme will help on slightly stiffer track.... I think the form of that race is strong with a few decent horses behind and pointing to a run next time out. 8/1 is a good price with the possibility that Ruby may take the ride (if recent negative vibes RE Melon are to be believed)

Bacardy's finished like a train in the same race, and is also decent price for the Neptune with the step up in distance sure to suit. The form makes the EW double very appealing.

bigmalky71
Handicapper
Tips

Postby bigmalky71 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Yorkhill is my Cheltenham tip winning 9 of its 11 starts
Yorkhill moved from Colin S McKeever to W P Mullins after
winning a points race at Tattersalls Farm in Ireland in December
7th 2014 then went on to win two bumpers in 2015. Then in 2016 won
4 out of its 5 hurdles stars including 3 grade ones which included
winning the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle at the
Festive last year beating Alan King's Yanworth and since taking
to chasing has won twice at long odds-on, winning at Fairyhouse
on the 17th of December beating Burgas by a easy 14 lengths then
followed that up with a win in a grade 3 at Leopardstown over
2 miles 3 furlongs on the 22nd of January beating Jett by 1¼ lengths
and even though Yorkhill is entered in the Racing Post Arkle chase on
day 1 i think Yorkhill won't take on Nicky Henderson's Altior and will go
for the JLT Novices' Chase which is over 2 miles 3 furlongs on the
16th of March currently beat price is 15/8

The Executioner
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Executioner » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Pertemps Network Final ( Handicap Hurdle )

Arguably the toughest and most competitive of the festival races with many established handicappers being taken on by some improving and unexposed novices. A big field is always guaranteed and the task to find some value on the betting is never easy. However I have had my attention drawn to one particular runner for some time now , that is the Harry Fry trained Wotzizname. He's a lightly raced 7yo son of Fruits Of Love who joined his current connections back in the spring of last year following some promise between the flags. This will be only his fifth run under rules, winning two novice hurdles in April and May with any amount in hand with a view to a campaign over fences this season. Wotzizname disappointed on his chasing debut at Aintree in November where his jumping was far from fluent at times and he was comfortably beaten by the Paul Nicholls trained Arpege D'Alene. He was then given two months off and I feel it may well turn out to be a wise decision by his trainer to return him to the smaller obstacles. A run at Musselburgh last month when fourth beaten a shade under four lengths in total behind El Bandit will hopefully put him cherry ripe for this, and the three pounds pull in the weights can only help. Wotzizname acts well on a sound surface and also soft underfoot conditions which is in his favour and unless I'm wrong appears open to further improvement.

El Bandit is likely to be in the starting line up and is one of many with chances. While the season's big improver Tobefair is a real winning machine for his stable and was earmarked for this race some time back. Presenting Percy looks to be the main Irish Challenger but looks dreadful value to me at around 6/1 having to race from a mark some thirty one pounds higher than his Punchestown win in November and sixteen higher than his most recent success last month, the GB assessor has clearly taken a strong view of the Irish form.

Betting is all about value, and at 33/1 currently with Paddy Power Wotzizname strikes me as outstanding EW value , and those are odds which I can only see contracting before raceday , with the concession of NRNB now being in place he rates a must bet for me.

Selection: Wotzizname ...... EW @33/1 ( Paddy Power ) NRNB
2017 , 50x3yos To Follow ( Part 1 )
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412109

2017, 50x3yos To Follow ( Part 2 )
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412111

2017, 20x2yos To Follow
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412443