The OLBG Cheltenham Preview Night

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Re: The OLBG Cheltenham Preview Night

Postby jaydubs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 pm

I think I would like them to talk about other horses in the race.. I didn't feel they mentioned enough... hardly any winners were mentioned .. it all focused on Douvan Yanworth Uknow..harry Djakadam etc... which we all know about....

Then again the week could have been different..

I think I just want a bit more thought provoking chat rather than Yanworth is brill .. Neon Wolf is unbeatable. .etc

sportingsamcan
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby sportingsamcan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 am

Hi guys all feedback welcome, both positive and constructive criticism.

It was widely well received by the members and public I spoke to during the week at Cheltenham.

The performance of the panel tip wise as a criticism is a tough one. I take the point, but they are all a little hamstrung by connections to yards ect plus have to positive about their own horses. Can you imagine if you had a horse in training with the Tizzards and Joe was dismissive of his chances?!

As for Mite Bite, lets be honest the way he went after that last I fully expected Tom to be right!

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 am

That straight " spooks " plenty of horses, doesn it ? They're used to turning back onto the course and Ruby rode one which bumped the far rail. Some don't like the cute at the end and slow - it's not necessarily the hill they don't like, it's that's dead end.

I got Might Bite wrong from a breeding perspective, an angle which also led me to believe that Sizing John was a Ryanair horse and wouldn't stay the Gold Cup course. Even though Midnight Legend's offspring have an excellent record at Cheltenham and both Midnight Chase and Midnight Prayer have won there beyond 3m2f, i convinced myself that Sizing John would have been better over shorter. Scorpion's can generally not be trusted and are mediocre over fences but freaks do occur - just look at Altior. By a horse whose bred staying chasers prone to jumping errors...then that comes along.

I was right about other things, kept hitting the woodwork in a few Each Way multiples :
Whisper ( 2nd ), Divin Bere ( 2nd ) Gold Present (2nd ) Wholestone ( 3rd ) Disko ( 3rd ) were close but lacked the cigar finish. Backed the Neptune forecast ( still not paid ) I smashed Let's Dance in the Mares Novice

The preview's helped - it was a festival where i think many punters will have needed to react to the changing fortunes during the week ( and shortly before, what with the late withdrawals ) and that's when the previews can be invaluable - pundits might raise a point which you disagree with but which guides you towards a decision or selection.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:52 am

From a spectacle angle racegoers want to know about the principal Grade 1 races. From a punting angle, every race is equal. Finding the winner of the Grand Annual is just as important as finding the winner of the Gold Cup.

For sure, around the country the most popular bets are going to be the Gold Cup, Champion Hurdle etc, because these are the events that get talked about and bet on by the 'few times a year' punters.

But when it comes to actually attending a preview evening I would guess that punters who make the effort have already made up their minds to some degree about the principal races. Do we really need to discuss Douvan, Unowhatimeanharry, Altior etc? Surely punters who attend preview meetings or even watch online are already clued up on these horses?

I'd like more information on who is running in what race, horses who've gone under the radar, those who are flying at home, whispers from the lesser stables etc, and maybe that's the angle OLBG as sponsors can insist upon?

On here, we had long-priced winners, starting right from the off with the winner of the Supreme which several punters identified as having an excellent chance ( 'if' the stable could get him to actually start). I would've definitely considered that one if one of the panel had spoken about it, because it would've supported a couple of the tips made on here.

All in all, it adds some excitement to the pre-Cheltenham week but isn't telling us anything particularly earth shattering. Maybe OLBG as sponsors can insist upon a different angle and this is what the OLBG preview night becomes known for as these type of events become more popular?

I can see a day in five years time where the festival is so popular that the local village hall has an ex-jockey, a local trainer, some bloke who worked for Venetia Williams and the church vicar as the panel. The preview popularity has yet to even scratch the surface before interest in them plateau's out and then takes a downturn.

That downturn in popularity will surely depend on how useful they are. Therefore, perhaps even more importance should be placed on finding what is most useful to punters. A survey maybe? Preview evenings seem to have developed based on pre-Cheltenham excitement rather than really identifying what their usefulness and purpose is or could be.

bishbosh
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby bishbosh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Great post :win:
Sums up exactly what punters want

You can sit there all evening and tell me about yanworth but i had made my mind up about beauver dair etc
What i want is to know is gordon elliot saying this horse is a machine but i cant get him to start last attempts but he did eventually go last time came 6th but caught them up... so then u make a decision to look at that race and throw a few pound ew if u feel 'maybe' hes right.

I want an honest assesment of handicap marks given and whats firing at home etc under the radar make a decision and take a price before the bookies react.
If I study and fail so be it
But to not study is like opening your window and throwing your money out hoping the wind brings it back in

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Didn't O'Leary make the " worst horse i have " comment a couple of years back when one won a handicap ?

Storyteller withdrawn but still wins the race...