Your Cheltenham Approach

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Your Cheltenham Approach

Postby Brownie3 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:27 am

Get your bets on the morning prices, 8.30am or 9am, whatever it is for each bookie.

Massive prices, E/W terms enhanced.....all sorts.

Loads going on in the Cheltenham shops early doors!

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 am

So how far down the road are you with your approach ? Have you decided on Tuesday's best bets?

Do you have wed/thu/fri selections ready to go.

Have you done anything different this year?

I think i am better prepared this year, and posters on the forum and bloggers should be ready?

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Head down, eyes closed, chucking lemons and hoping to get out alive!!!!!
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 pm

I will be focussing on trends based qualifiers for the non handicap events (especially the 14 Grade 1 races), but will tweak my approach for the 10 handicaps, as I will be relying on the VALUE CALCULATOR to identify selections that appear to be overpriced, as I have tended to struggle in these events during recent festivals, so fingers crossed that the new strategy finds a few winners.

Cheltenham Festival 2017 – Punters Guide – Updated on 8 March 2017
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412199

Profitable Horse Racing Betting System – Introducing the VALUE CALCULATOR
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412142

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm hoping to have most of my Tuesday selections ready by Sunday and with doing the Tipster Blog this year I'm hoping we can have that up for readers on Sunday night. That will give me time on Monday to be looking ahead to the Wednesday. Basically, I want to be a day ahead of myself although some races further into the week I already know who I am backing or have indeed backed ante post.

I'm also going to spend some of Monday looking through the offers. I already intend to use SkyBet's offer of money back if your horse loses in the first race each day but a few bookies are offering some interesting things and it may be worth spending a little time on that or indeed seeing if any bookie is worth a new account if I haven't got one with them.
Grand National - Pinstickers Guide Blog

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/juliebrophy

BadReligion
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby BadReligion » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 pm

When I win I celebrate by blowing my winnings on drinks. When I lose I commiserate my loses in the same way. It doesn't really matter how my day turns out the result is always the same. Incidentally, I read Cheltenham are now enforcing a limit on the number of drinks that can be purchased. Something to do with a fracas that broke last year. That's really going to spoil everyones fun.

Zipster
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Zipster » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:42 pm

So how far down the road are you with your approach ? Have you decided on Tuesday's best bets?

No!

Do you have wed/thu/fri selections ready to go.

No!

Have you done anything different this year?

No!

:D

I am very fussy when it comes to picks and refuse to make any before the night before, Wholestone in the Albert Bartlett is the only one which I have picked out before hand, Did fancy San's Adventure in the Bumper but they is no longer in the race!
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:29 pm

After your performance in previous years OLBG Cheltenham tipping competitions your approach obviously works!

Zipster
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Zipster » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:15 pm

It tends to be all about the handicaps for me and getting involved with them this early is next to impossible until the final cards are announced!
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

JamPizza
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby JamPizza » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 pm

I was at Cheltenham for several years around the istabraq and best mate era and spent many an hour in the pubs afterwards with fellow racegoers discussing where we went right and wrong!

The single best piece if advice I ever hadid was regarding collateral form. It's tempting to back horses that won on the bridle (but beat little), but the better tactic is to back horses that have beaten other quality horses and often been battle hardened. Good luck all!

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

I've had one Lucky 15 so far and will probably end up doing 14 (2 chances from each race)

Melon - Supreme 3/1
Foxtail Hill - Close Brothers 7/1
Uxizandre - Ryanair 6/1
Dreamcatching - Fred Winter 8/1

I normally have one that's done in advance, just to keep the hunger at bay. However, typically at least one from the list gets withdrawn, so that's what I'm expecting. They're all NRNB, so nothing lost, but I'd still rather they all got a run for a change!

Just waiting on Mullins/Ruby plus Pipe and the JJ O'Neill stables to finalise their stable entries before really cracking into it.

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:24 am

my general approach is :-

have a few, very small ante-post bets early, maybe 4 or 5 months before, this season Identity Thief e/w for Arkle was my first bet and that's gone, I had a little e/w bet on Sizing John for Ryanair at 25/1 and that looked great after he won well and was cut to 6/1, then didn't look any good after won well again and was moved to the Gold Cup, oh well.

Other small ante-post bets put as and when I win a few quid/get a few free bets, got a small multiple bet with Altior at Evens, Yorkhill at 5/2, Defi Du Seiul at 6/1, Cantlow at 7/2 & Finian's Oscar at 5/1 all together, they all still look really lively & are now shorter so fingers crossed for that, also had a bit on Finian's Oscar e/w at 6/1 in a single. :hope:

now we are a week before the festival I tend to place a few more small stakes multiples, usually selecting a group of races where I fancy 2 runners and put the first choices in an e/w lucky 31 together & the 2nd choices in a e/w lucky 31, also do a few very small stakes bets mixing up the ones I fancy as win bets.

Yesterday I got given some free spins on a slot game with my on-line account, used the free cash won to pay for this fun bet on the Potts horses :-

Fox Norton - Champion Chase
Supasundae - Coral Cup
Sizing Coldeco - Plate
Sizing John - Gold Cup
Finian's Oscar - Neptune
Aupcharlie - Foxhunter Chase

when they all win at massive odds I'll quite happily retire, well that's the plan and I'm sticking to it........

Then on each day of the festival I'll have specific bets for that day depending on how the markets are, ie this year on Tuesday I won't back again in the Arkle or OLBG race, other bets will be very small stakes for fun, Skybet doing there money back as a free bet if you lose for each first race of the day and so I'll have a win single in those races.

After the racing has finished on the Wednesday, I'll re-assess how the multiples look and possibly do a few little extra ones combining selections from Thursday & Friday, just for the fun of sitting in the pub on Gold Cup day hoping to be cheering home a winning lucky 31/63 etc, I've been lucky enough to do that a few times in recent years and so it's a plan I'll stick with!!! :win:

On a day by day basis my approach will be different as Champion Hurdle day will be spent chilling out at home, probably after a trip to the bookies in the morning, Wednesday & Thursday I'll be other side of the counter in the bookies taking people's bets and I won't be having any of my own as I'll be too busy, Friday plan is get to the pub, get my seat in front of the massive screen but not too far from the bar & enjoy the unbeatable combination of top racing & Guinness!!! :win:
Loving it on OLBG, on twitter @tbuckleythinks :

Top 10 Football Tip markets

Football Tips Strategy to Win