Your Cheltenham Approach

pokerslut
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby pokerslut » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Rob,
I don\'t mean to be going back over this but I work in the courts and there are numerous ways to get out of jury duty.

When you get there in the morning a jury is selected for whatever trial or trials that are going on. If your not required that day your sent home.

Simple way to not be selected is to either look like a complete thug or a real posh prude. Failing that if you are selected your asked is there any reason you shouldn\'t serve, all you have to say is that your mates are police and you feel you would be prejudiced against the accused. Your out the door faster than you like. It is that easy.

DON\'T MISS CHELTENHAM.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:12 pm

With all the excitement on the opening day i do think you need to not get carried away on the Tuesday and make sure you have enough funds and enthusiasm for the rest of the week. It’s very easy to get carried away looking for winners on day 1 and we all need to remember that it’s a marathon and not a sprint.

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Agree completely..............and then every year I do the opposite :) :)

slimey
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby slimey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Last year I do recall certain bookies giving your money back as a free bet if the favourite wins the first ( Supreme) and other bookies laying the favourite to odds of 4/1 or something very similar.

Hence if you like Min....wait for the special.
If you like any other, wait as you'll get your money back as a free bet if Min wins.

I bet small so the maximum bets on offer by bookies are a huge plus.

I like to do a few lucky 15s and the odd large accu tho will be avoiding the first race until the day for the reasons above.

The local glos echo sometimes has a £5 free bet offer.
And a couple of newspapers give £1 £2 free bets daily.

So bet smart, avoid Antepost bets from now till the bookies offer non runner money back.

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:46 pm

slimey, totally agree with your approach.

I am a great believer in extracting the maximum benefits from bookmaker offers and concessions and it is great if punters can get a few free bets via the national and local press thrown in as well.

Cheltenham Festival – How To Secure The Best Value Bets
http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410705

slimey
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby slimey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Nice blog Rob.

I live in Cheltenham, I can hear the roar of the crowd that drains the tannoy racing commentry from where I live.

I will try and get more info up as If your visiting Cheltenham, free places to park near the town centre, the whereabouts of bookies(deals) in the centre before walking up to the course, special events like paddy visiting his shop hopefully the night before to give amazing odds.

I have a couple of mates who work on the course itself, so if you want any questions asked about the ground, fences, old course/new course etc, pls ask.

And Rob, get yourself out of jury duty!

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:43 pm

This might be the best place to post this :

http://files.ctctcdn.com/205db977201/f1 ... ea3bed.pdf

Stats for the festival including top trainers, jockeys and owners for the races. Interesting bit on Neil Mulholland and his comments on Southfield Royale in the 4 miler, Shantou Village and his other fancied runners

http://files.ctctcdn.com/205db977201/ff ... a8161b.pdf

Novice hurdlers and chasers.

Both taken from the excellent Jockey Club website

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:12 pm

@The Market Man

Came across those last year and they did come in handy. Likewise these:

https://sites.google.com/site/gaultstats/Home

The Shark
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Shark » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Great thread :) Thanks for all the contributions so far.

We are using some of these on the new cheltenham tips area of the site

If you have any more general advice about how to find winners, how to bet at the festival please share them here.

Over on that section of the site we also have race preview pages for every race and will be adding lots of members views below. Again any general advice about betting on a specific race would be appreciated - the types of horses to look out form, stats, trends for that race, trials maybe that throw up regular winners etc. - please add things like this to the race specific forum threads so we can pick them up easily and add to these new tips pages.

Alphabet
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Alphabet » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:05 pm

It's very interesting reading different peoples approaches! Mine usually something like this...
I often have an idea in my head of what I intend to back come the morning of the race that I will fine tune, but rarely deviate from. I will already have had ante post bets, so day to day bets depend on how they are looking. When declarations are finalised, I use Sporting Life's racecards for a good look the day/night before racing. I bet online, the offers are too good not to. The day of racing i'll walk to get a Racing Post first thing, sit down to read it over a coffee and check the markets online.

I always book the week off work early, so watch racing either on course (Tuesday this year), my sofa, or the pub.

The race by race quotes from connections in the Racing Post I find interesting, and valuable, nuggets of info. I remember reading these for the 2011 Grand Annual, and Colin Tizzards seemingly confident thoughts caught my attention. It was a great feeling standing in my local with a slip (when I still bet in shops) in my pocket e/w on Oiseau De Nuit watching him cross the line in front at 40/1!

Here's hoping for a repeat!

Mod edit: Please refrain from discussing money on the forum as per rules.
Thank you.

toadie21
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby toadie21 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:31 pm

I usually have festival week off work, but this year only have Thursday and Friday off. So will have to plan Tuesday and Wednesdays bets the night before and will record the races and avoid all results.
Planning my bets has started and I have about 5 low stakes high reward accas in play and now that NRNB all races is here I will probably do a couple more all very low stakes. I have a Cheltenham guide from a couple of years back and I am a bit of a sucker for a trend so that will be used to help narrow the field. Will also be reading plenty of different opinions online. A great go to is the toilet tip section on here.
Then Monday of the festival I'll have my top 6 fancies of the week and do some multiples involving them, I did read a Lucky 15 blog on here about covering all horses at a meeting by micko so will be rereading that.
Tuesday and Wednesday plan the night before, read paper at work in morning and place bets on phone. Singles a win lucky and a e/w lucky and find a bookies for a couple of placepots. Home from work settle down and watch the races.
Thursday Friday plan the night before, grab paper and go to some racing sites online also gather thoughts from OLBG forums. Place bets online but have a walk to bookies for a couple of placepots and the thoughts of the locals and then chill and watch the races.
And of course if all goes to plan a quick txt to the boss to let him know he wont be seeing me again.
BOL gang

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Last year I do recall certain bookies giving your money back as a free bet if the favourite wins the first ( Supreme) and other bookies laying the favourite to odds of 4/1 or something very similar.

Hence if you like Min....wait for the special.
If you like any other, wait as you'll get your money back as a free bet if Min wins.

I bet small so the maximum bets on offer by bookies are a huge plus.

I like to do a few lucky 15s and the odd large accu tho will be avoiding the first race until the day for the reasons above.

The local glos echo sometimes has a £5 free bet offer.
And a couple of newspapers give £1 £2 free bets daily.

So bet smart, avoid Antepost bets from now till the bookies offer non runner money back.
Slimey, if you like doing Lucky 15's, then check out this blog for multiple Lucky 15's, especially at festivals

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410461