Your Cheltenham Approach

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Your Cheltenham Approach

Postby nors » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:31 pm

With Cheltenham taking place during the working week i wondered how members would access the Festival. Some may be lucky enough to be going on 1 day or all days but this thread is more about those not attending any days and their approach.

So how do you:

1. Choose and arrive at your selections?

2. Get your bets on?

3. Watch the races?

4. Check the results?

If members could give a snapshot of their 4 days others i think would find it interesting.

Mine would be:

Watch the Morning Line

Study the Cheltenham Festival Guide looking for relevant stats.

Print all the race cards, overnight and on the day look at the markets noting horses being supported and drifting.

Read the Racing Post online.

Read the tipping comments/forum looking for nuggets of info on horses that i hadn't read about.

Normally decide on 1 win and 1 place bet, i may try some doubles and trebles mixed with away cards. I suspect at Cheltenham i would have around 6 bets a day

Place bets with bet365 and trades on Betfair.

Watch races on RUK.
Last edited by nors on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

drobgod
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby drobgod » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:48 pm

I go on the Sunday, take in the preview on the Sunday evening, walk the course or at least visit the course on Monday and then prepare for the Tuesday once back from that.

I'll be attending both Tuesday and Wednesday.

From a punting point of view each year I try to have around three bets per day done and dusted before the week of the Festival otherwise I'd find it impossible to have enough time to study six or seven races a day to the degree I like to.

So I'll be punting ante-post from the start of the season on maybe a couple of horses per race, usually the top class races in the hope they make it on the day.

Then on Monday once the decs are finalised I'll study the races I have left to bet on that day. For example this year I have yet to play in the Arkle, Handicap Chase, the 4 miler and the last race the Novice Hcap Chase.

I always combine a few in case they come in like last year when I had Lord Windermere, Very Wood and Savello in doubles and trebles at huge odds.

I'll study them by combination of Sporting Life and Racing Post websites, watch recorded races and check out the trends book.

I'll punt with whoever has the best odds on offer, watch the races at the track or in my office at home come Thursday/Friday.

BarloTheFox
Group 3 Class
Tips

Re: Your Cheltenham Approach

Postby BarloTheFox » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:58 pm

So how do you:

2. Get your bets on?

3. Watch the races?

4. Check the results?
I would say... but my boss might see this :shock:

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Well 1 and 4 are ok Barlo, you can do those ahead/after of work, Skybet have a look busy at work screen - if that helps anyone during Cheltenham. http://www.skybet.com/boss-look-busy

wichuda
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby wichuda » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:53 pm

I always say to people rather than go through the field trying to pick a winner go through the field and get rid of the ones you think cannot win and see how many you have left. if prices dictate a profit back them all.
Never be put off by prices and always remember horses can run below there ability but cannot run above there ability so even if they have one decent piece of form they may have been saved for Cheltenham.
On the Irish runners look to the ones that have won at Navan, if they can get up the Navan hill in a driving finish they can usually get up Cheltenhams.
I won last years Cheltenham tipsters comp from Fridays selections.
I had my three winners in £1.5 E/W Lucky 15 33/1, 20/1 and 10/1 paid Just over £10K.
The 4th one was unplaced :(

BarloTheFox
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby BarloTheFox » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:55 pm

That might come in handy!

Monday Lunchtime I go to my local Betfred and pick up a stack of slips. I write my slips out the night before - I have learned the bad way that being affected by market moves etc - and as long as no significant ground change I go to Betfreds at 1.15 pm each day and put my daily bets on and watch the 1st race there (added bonus is they normally have food laid out!) Then I go back to the office and conveniently make a coffee at 2.05, 2.40, 3.20 and 4.00 each day (the office at TV is in the office kitchen). Not the most productive week of the year, but my colleagues enjoy the endless cafeine supply.

Systemight
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Systemight » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:03 pm

Like Nors i am up for the morning line,then switch over to At the Races whilst trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Once finalized the Important bit is next...who to bet with.

Maybe its Betfair if i want to lay something,Corals(money back if horse falls),Hills/Stan James(money back if 2nd all channel 4 races),or bet365/Ladbrokes( free bet if a winner at 4/1 or more) etc,etc,..Seriously,has there ever been a better time to be a punter?!.

After then its a trip to the gym and an hour on the exercise bike,shower,and back home just in time for lunch and then the Channel 4 coverage.

Like most punters its easily My most favourite week of the year, and should it all go wrong??...

...there is always the trip to the Midlands National at Uttoxeter on the Saturday to pull it all back...lol
..because there is always another day...

Systemight
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Systemight » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 pm

...should have added i am not really a stats/trends man,my view is that they are over analysed to death for the festival and its hard to find an edge.

Rightly or wrongly its more of a Systematic approach for me,like looking at horses who had their last (prep)run at Leopardstown for example...
..because there is always another day...

pokerslut
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby pokerslut » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 pm

I take a weeks holidays for the festival every year.I have all or most of my bets done or at least decided on before the racing begins. I go away for the day on the Tuesday with a gang from work, we spend the day in the pub watching the races. Once racing is over we play poker for a few hours. We'll also pool money and decide on a bet for the champions league that evening so were all on the same bet. Late bar then and bed at whatever time.

Wednesday morning and I must get the train home. Straight out the door then with the wife to the local. My wifes sister and husband come along and the kids drop in on their way home from school. Chip shop all this week.

Thursday I'll go down to the pub with friends and probably take it easy in anticipation of a big finish on Friday.

For Friday see Wednesday but we all head back to ours that night for a games night, gin rummy, family fortunes, ludo you name it we play it.

That has been my ritual for a long time now and I cant see it changing anytime soon.

Bring it on....

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Radically changed for me in recent years, but here's my own snapshot:

BEFORE 2013: I always bought the Timeform Phone Service for the Festival, and noted Pricewise picks. In addition I would look for certain trainers who had shown they were good at getting horses to their best for the Festival.

NOW: I can't bet nowadays but for the sake of personal satisfaction (or frustration lol) and for the OLBG comps, I'll contimue to look at certain trainers plus any horse wearing 1st time cheekpieces. The last couple of years have produced some surprisingly good returns using that

2. Get your bets on?
BEFORE: Up and ready with final list of selections as soon as the phone lines/internet betting opened, get the best prices before they are cut.

NOW: Can't bet anymore, so will 'bet' here on OLBG.

3. Watch the races?
BEFORE: Huge advantage to working in the betting shops was having it all live with a decent shop atmosphere to help. Last two festivals I was there courtesy of OLBG on Champion hurdle day to watch right there in person, then next day listening to the races on Five Live as I drove back to Scotland.

NOW: Have to try to find a feed so I can watch the races, although it means watching from 8am here.

4. Check the results?
I like to review the races, looking for any future pointers, and future festival types.
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

mc1000
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby mc1000 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:56 am

1. Collate all the data strewn all over the floor on scraps of paper from the last few months which have been painstakingly written so as to leave no stone unturned in my quest for my long overdue early retirement wager.
2. Having already over the last few months covered most every runner at the festival ante post I now change my mind and back most of the others.
3. Having foolishly promised the Mrs last year after being cleaned out at the festival not to waste my money again and instead go to Switzerland on holiday this year I now spend all day making increasingly pathetic excuses to wander off so as to be able to watch the races on discretely hidden mobile devices that I do not know how to work and are probably costing me as much as the bets.
4. Check any results of races I have missed due to my technical ineptitude hoping for at least one consolation winner only to be further disappointed.
5. Most importantly (you missed no 5 'nors') spend the rest of the week listening to my better half pointing out that if only I had backed the one horse she had randomly backed (you know lucky no 5 the one with the nice pink colours) I would have been better off.
(Just out of interest anyone know of a number 5 with pink colours running next week) ???

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:44 am

So how do you:

1: Paper shop early: get my Favourite papers, so can glimpse
thru the form etc.
2: Morning line only watch in brief here and there,for going,
and tips.( Use to like it more in 1980 s when Mac was on,)
3: Quick look at tips online , check for latest NR s etc..
4: Make my selections all thru the week, on moderate scale.
5: Bookies a stroll to my local Bookies ( hope a nice sunny week.)
6: Plus stick to limit to last for the week :yes: , as same days might
not even fancy a bet.

7: Then comes getting so close to race time, sit back and enjoy
the racing hope make a big win or two.. :cool: :hope: