Champion Hurdle - Tuesday 10th March (Day 1)

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Champion Hurdle - Tuesday 10th March (Day 1)

Postby Brownie3 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:43 am

Thoughts...

pokerslut
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby pokerslut » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Very quiet on here for the Champion Hurdle.
I spent the year looking forward to getting stuck into The New One and I still might. His last run was shocking but a little forgiveness allowed as conditions weren\'t great. His run 2 back wasnt that impressive either so a few doubts setting in.

Artic Fire has really caught my eye.He has form at the festival being 2nd to lac fontana last year and his last run when 3rd behind hurricane fly and jezki was a real eye opener, Less than 2 lenghts back.

He is 22/1 now with a few in the betting sure to come out and also if he improves again on Sunday at leopardstown I can see him around 8s or 10s on the day.

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:47 pm

I think all in all, this is the race im looking forward too the most.

Just what is and how good is Faugheen, Was The New One an unlucky loser last year and can Jezki retain his crown, fasinating stuff.

I took the 6's Faugheen, not sure I'd be having him at 5/4, but a great 3 way battle for me.

pokerslut
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby pokerslut » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Ive been pondering the same question Brownie.
Alot of 1s before his name but what has he beaten..

Obviously very impressive in last year\'s Neptune but
2nd and 3rd placed haven\'t been seen since so we dont know how good they were.
He beat a decent horse in Purple Bay but not decent at this level. Bertimont also, who gave The New One a scare but youd have to blame conditions for that.

Then on the other hand we have The New One, a multiple winner at grade one and unlucky not to have won it last year, Jezki, a spring horse who loves the track, multiple grade one winner and did win it last year.

For these reasons I can\'t understand how Faugheen is so short.

I didn\'t mention Hurricane Fly because I believe its a massive mistake bringing him over this year. I believe if they kept him at home they\'d possibly get another 2 grade one wins out of him next winter at home on flatter tracks but by bringing him to Cheltenham they will have to retire him at the end of this season.

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:04 am

Racingpost

FAUGHEEN, the unbeaten Stan James Champion Hurdle favourite, may be seen out again before the Cheltenham Festival next month with trainer Willie Mullins toying with the idea of giving his star hurdler another run.

Owned by Susannah and Rich Ricci, Faugheen has been devastatingly impressive in both starts this season including when handing out an eight-length beating of his rivals in the Grade 1 William Hill.com Christmas Hurdle at Kempton in December.

However, despite producing a string of powerful performances as a novice last season and again this season, Faugheen may still be lacking in experience Mullins feels and the trainer has left open the option of running in the Grade 2 Red Mills Trials Hurdle at Gowran on February 14.
"We're looking at the Red Mills for Faugheen," Mullins said on At The Races. "I think there's one other contest left in England but we'll just keep all our options open. The horse is in good form.

"We'll probably have a chat with Ruby [Walsh] in the next day or so to see if he needs more experience, but at the moment I'm very happy with him."

Faugheen is the general evens favourite for the Stan James Champion Hurdle on Tuesday, March 10 - the first day of the Cheltenham Festival.

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:21 pm

18 of the last 19 winners all ran in the same calendar year.

Another run is a wise move.

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:03 am

I always just worry of a little injury or knock, if he runs in the Red Mills, its just over 3 weeks till the Champion.

klikpunt
2yo
Tips

Postby klikpunt » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:52 pm

I think everyone seems to be overlooking Jezki im sure he will improve come Cheltenham I think The New One finds 21/2 miles just abit short at top level.

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:59 pm

I dont think he's over looked at all, he's been beaten 3 times by The Fly, yet is shorter in the betting.

He's also shorter for a reason, he's the Champ, loves Cheltenham and wants good ground, I think 5's is about right.

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Faugheen goes straight there, no run in the Red Mills

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Just watched a reply of last years race, to examine the concept that The New One's chances were lost with the fatal fall of Our Conor.

To be honest, it could be further from the truth could it? He was on the shoulder of MTOY at the top of the hill, but managed to lose 6/7 lengths coming down the hill, due to a basic lack of tactical speed at the required time. Yes, he finished like a train, but the race was lost 3 out.

However, looking at the stopwatch, it was a very, very quick race. I only have the times since 1990, and that was a clear 2 seconds quicker than anything in the last 20 odd years.

evertoncal
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby evertoncal » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Just watched a reply of last years race, to examine the concept that The New One's chances were lost with the fatal fall of Our Conor.

To be honest, it could be further from the truth could it? He was on the shoulder of MTOY at the top of the hill, but managed to lose 6/7 lengths coming down the hill, due to a basic lack of tactical speed at the required time. Yes, he finished like a train, but the race was lost 3 out.

However, looking at the stopwatch, it was a very, very quick race. I only have the times since 1990, and that was a clear 2 seconds quicker than anything in the last 20 odd years.
You could say that he used up energy getting close to the front and then by the time he got his breath back, the others had already gone on. I think it was really hard luck for him and I think we'll see him run differently. I've backed Faugheen at bigger prices then he is now, and I think he's got enough question marks and opposition for the bookies to take him on nearer the time.