The Psychology of Gambling - Horses

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Re: The Psychology of Gambling - Horses

Postby nors » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm

We find that tipping numbers decrease slightly in the Cheltenham tipping Competition after day 1 and day 2. Now if this is mirrored in our betting then it means we lose a bit of interest when bets go against us.

Psychologically it shows losers do affect our motivation. On Thursday and Friday it seemed winners were a bit easier to find, so members who stopped because of losses may have missed out on finding winners?

However we plan our betting, daily/weekly/monthly/yearly we do need to make sure that the losers do not hamper us finding winners. To do this make sure that no single bet is of such an amount that it knocks you sideways.

For example had you weighed in on Yanworth or Douvan because they were the big favs on the 2 opening days then you may have been left short for later in the week. No one bet should have such an affect as to knock you off course.

We know we are going to back losers be ready for them and don't let the losers affect your progress. The following poem has been quoted on here and by bettors over the years and are true.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

So when you win don't think "you have cracked it" (triumph)
and when you lose don't think "it is the end" (disaster).

They re just imposter nouns.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Re: The Psychology of Gambling - Horses

Postby nors » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:20 am

When making a bet you should be prepared and not decide that this is a "cheeky bet" there is nothing cheeky about losing money. Ladbrokes cleverly connected the word cheeky with betting as if to indicate it didn't matter and it was just fun.

I have heard punters say at the racecourse or footy matches "i just has a cheeky £10" on xxx horse or xxx FGS.

On the reverse of this we hear i had a "serious" bet on xxx meaning that the bettor really liked this selection and you should follow his wisdom as he is serious.

It dosent matter if the cheeky bet loses as it was just fun, the serious bet however needs sympathetic handling as the bettor was serious.

However depending on the financial situation of the bettor the cheeky bet could have been of a bigger amount than the serious bet, one persons "cheeky" is another persons "serious".

We are more likely to follow the serious bettor but empathise and take no notice of the cheeky bettors selection.

I think we all should replace those words with " I have had a considered bet on XXX.

Then win or lose we know we have looked at all the pros and cons of the bet and considered our chances of winning or losing our hard earned money.

If we considered all bets i suspect we would all be better off, and psychologically be in a better frame of mind when losers do occur.