We basically run the tipster competition like a bookmaker site, where you also cant edit your selections!
Obviously with it being a free competition where we actually pay money out and with over 1000 active tipsters we have to try to keep costs down and have things very automated. That means I just cant manually edit tips – sure one or two would not be a problem, but it would no doubt snowball once word got out. Couple that with the fact that Id still not be able to man it 24hrs so some people would get them done and some not
Last year when the tipping system was more basic we used to have a facility for people to edit their own tips. This was needed then as the selection system was quite basic and the opportunities for error much greater than they are now. However it was very problematic as people started abusing the editing system in several ways.
1. Some tipsters concerned that people were copying their tips would initially make bogus ones and then change them before the start
2. Some tipsters would make big tips on the last few days of the month on events in the following month, and then in the next month edit down the stake to release cash into the new period. Many people complained about this.
3. People getting alerts were getting annoyed that they could get an alert for a tipsters tip, back it, and then find the tipster changed it later.
The current system while not ideal does stop these problems and as long as people are as careful with their tips as they are with their real bets, which nearly all are (or at least after their first mistake) then it works fine.
I have thought about having limited editing but I cant really see a solution. The only possible ones would be
1. To have a confirmation page after each tip
This obviously makes it take longer to make your tips and I expect most people would not read it properly but just click through anyway hence defeating the pupose
2. To allow editing for a short period after the tip is made (like 15 minutes). This might work, but I dont know what to do about the alerts as I dont want to send them and then send corrections later, at the same time I dont want to wait 15 minutes to send an alert when it might be too late
As Ive said above the best solution to me seems to be that people are careful with their tips like they are with their bookie bets, then it all works fine.
Ive added a poll "Do You want a confirmation page"
This would be an extra page after you click "submit" that would summarise the tip and ask you to click another button to "confirm"
All in all I think the site is a credit to you and runs smoothly...
out of interest, how many customers actually use the tip alert feature?
with regards to the question, i guess a tip confirmaton would be good as most bookmakers also provide such a facility when you bet. But then again, i would imagine most tipsters would have double checked after getting used to the site.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users