Tip Comment Guidelines For All Members - Please Read

attitude adjuster
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Tip Comment Guidelines For All Members - Please Read

Postby attitude adjuster » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:56 pm

Thanks for your reply Pompeyjim, i am not trying to upset anybody and never mean to cause a problem on here. I know any changes made on here are for the best of most on the site and do think OLBG do have a great site here. I understand the drop in ratings a bit more now and the changes being made to the horse racing table in January are for the good in my opinion.

tipstonga
Stallion
Tips

Postby tipstonga » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:18 am

Hi Pompeyjim
thank you for your answer I congratulate once more OLBG's permanent drive towards better.

Said that I feel that in honour to what I think is true I must point out two things. I apologise if this feeling is not shared.

First: the issue in the posts to this thread along a year has been the (un)fairness of the rating in the Elite/SuperElite Status System. Sincerely I do not understand why this issue is not acknowledged and addressed somehow. Are all our previous posts on the issue here absolutely wrong ?

Second: a quick inspection[a] to the HR table shows that the 134 places will not be fully covered in December mainly due to negative LSP and not due to number of positive results counting 5 as now or 10 as next month. So it can not be expected that anything changes substantially with the increase in wins needed. Moreover the increment will not bring better comments but just more comments; the success rate is hardly dependent with quality of the comments so increasing the number of comments is the way to win for those that have the prize as their goal. Quality usually decreases with quantity. Instead -for example- a soft consistency requirement will not produce beautifully written comments but at least some more helpful.

[a] I tried to copy to Excel the table to give better figures here but failed to get easily a workable worksheet, sorry.

I wish all members and staff of OLBG a healthy and lucky new year 2022
tipstonga

PompeyJim
At Stud
Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:34 am

Hi tipstonga,

We always appreciate constructive feedback and suggestions and in relation to posts on the elite/super elite system considered to be "unfair" we reduced the comment quality % requirement to help any shortfall in good quality tip comments not being rated.

Again, we encourage all members, tipsters, site users to rate tip comments on the daily tips pages (using the helpful or not helpful buttons) as this contributes to a tipster's elite criteria, the moderating team rate 1000's of tip comments each month (3000+ this month to date).

After taking onboard tipster feedback and in line with our own thoughts, we feel the minimum profit tips criteria has been a well received addition to the comment competition tables as it encourages consistency generally rather than numerous darts being thrown at wild longshots and then when one hits the strategy reverts to short odds favourites.

Raising the minimum number of wins to 10 from 5 for the main horse racing table in line with some of the football competition tables seems a logical step as there are numerous daily events for horse racing and to reiterate the intention is not for more comments it is to encourage consistency and also to maintain the competitiveness of the competitions. Greater consistency hopefully should lead to more winners and less negative lsp's and the criteria being met.

As regards more comments and tip comment quality, this obviously starts with the individual tipster and if we feel quality is being comprised by quantity then we interact with the individual.

The competition criteria is reviewed ongoing and we hope the tweaks keep the competitions healthy and again we appreciate constructive feedback whether suggestions are implemented or not.

Happy New Year and best wishes for a safe 2022 to all.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

hadzhidimovo
2yo
Tips

Postby hadzhidimovo » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:39 pm

Can anyone advise, whether my comment suspension will be permanent or temporary one? And if temporary how long it will take in order to be able to comment on my tips again?

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Postby Zipster » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:59 am

Can anyone advise, whether my comment suspension will be permanent or temporary one? And if temporary how long it will take in order to be able to comment on my tips again?

Hi, please use the contact form (https://www.olbg.com/contact) for any queries of this nature.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant (Follow Me On Twitter)

Syndicate owner in Pentland Hills, Getaway Trump, Farouk De Cheneau, In The Cove & Boreen Boy.

ClevelandBay
Handicapper
Tips

Postby ClevelandBay » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:14 am

Hi tipstonga,

We always appreciate constructive feedback and suggestions and in relation to posts on the elite/super elite system considered to be "unfair" we reduced the comment quality % requirement to help any shortfall in good quality tip comments not being rated.

Again, we encourage all members, tipsters, site users to rate tip comments on the daily tips pages (using the helpful or not helpful buttons) as this contributes to a tipster's elite criteria, the moderating team rate 1000's of tip comments each month (3000+ this month to date).

After taking onboard tipster feedback and in line with our own thoughts, we feel the minimum profit tips criteria has been a well received addition to the comment competition tables as it encourages consistency generally rather than numerous darts being thrown at wild longshots and then when one hits the strategy reverts to short odds favourites.

Raising the minimum number of wins to 10 from 5 for the main horse racing table in line with some of the football competition tables seems a logical step as there are numerous daily events for horse racing and to reiterate the intention is not for more comments it is to encourage consistency and also to maintain the competitiveness of the competitions. Greater consistency hopefully should lead to more winners and less negative lsp's and the criteria being met.

As regards more comments and tip comment quality, this obviously starts with the individual tipster and if we feel quality is being comprised by quantity then we interact with the individual.

The competition criteria is reviewed ongoing and we hope the tweaks keep the competitions healthy and again we appreciate constructive feedback whether suggestions are implemented or not.

Happy New Year and best wishes for a safe 2022 to all.
I dont know if this will be considered as constructive or what but I have not got my head around the elite status etc. I take it is down to people ticking the box on best tips and followers which rates your comments.
I am amazed at the amount of tips that individuals but up and on the number of sports. Factor in comments and I can not comprehend how they have the time. So I cant see any real change on who will get the prizes. The time and effort put in these are well deserved.
Yes the last year has seen me playing around with various ideas and lots of tips. Time will be a factor in 22 and tip rate will greatly reduce.
An old bug bear around the comment "numerous darts being thrown at wild longshots and when one hits the strategy reverts to short odds favourites" ! Is it not all about individual strategy? and what would you class as a longshot.
All the best to all. Stay safe.

PompeyJim
At Stud
Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:20 pm

Hi ClevelandBay,

The comment quality % is just one of the four elements for elite status, the other factors are minimum tip requirement, lsp and number of profit months. If unsure you can check your stats via your Elite Stats tab on your member page:

https://www.olbg.com/tipsters/tables/elitestatus

The majority of the comment quality ratings are done by the moderating team and the rest are from site users.

As regards tipping strategy yes it is down obviously to the individual but we would hope it mirrors their own bets as obviously site users follow tipsters and tips. As regards longshots it depends what sport we are talking about but for example horse racing:

A tipster starts the month tipping 50/1, 66/1, 100/1 shots and if and when one hits the strategy turns to all odds on shots until the minimum tip/wins criteria is met and then places no further tips for the month. This approach looks really about playing the game and not genuine bets.

Rugby for another example, lots of TIE tips placed at 20's+ until one hits and then lots of odds on shots to fill the minimum criteria of wins etc and then stop tipping.

RightSaidGeoff
2yo
Tips

Postby RightSaidGeoff » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:18 pm

I think the requirement to have at least 10 winning tips for the horse racing comments competition is a real shame.
If you're happy to have 134 prizes then the people in those positions who got a profit deserve a prize. I don't think it matters if people throw a lot of darts at the board or play at big odds. They must be doing something right to net a profit, and if it's just luck then it won't happen for the same people every month because you need to play to value prices to make a profit in the long-run.

And for people like me who have no more than 30-40 tips a month and look for value away from the favourite, it's pretty difficult to get 10 winners in a month at decent prices, so am seriously thinking that now it's not even worth entering them here at all. It's already something that requires a disproportionate amount of time compared to the likely potential prize of only a fiver.

Also, on New Year's Eve, Tipstonga said the table shows "the 134 places will not be fully covered in December mainly due to negative LSP and not due to number of positive results counting 5 as now or 10 as next month."

From the final table, 135 people made a profit in December and 129 had 5 winners or more.
45 had fewer than 10 winners though, so that would have been only 90 prizes if the new minimum had been in place.
And so far this month, with 5 days remaining, there's only 100 people who've done enough to qualify. Seems to me this is more about trying to avoid paying out as many of the 134 prizes each month as possible.

PompeyJim
At Stud
Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:52 am

Hi RightSaidGeoff,

Thanks very much for your feedback, this will be forwarded to the competition manager for review. As mentioned on the Additional Criteria update thread the competitions are reviewed on an ongoing basis and this was the first month trialling the minimum profit tip level for the main horse racing table being raised to 10 from 5 in line with the main football tables, taking into account the number of daily horse meetings and races available now. Can say though the increase is not with the intention of ducking paying x amount of prizes, it was not so long ago the prize positions was nearly doubled to 134 available in the main horse racing table.

Thanks again.

RightSaidGeoff
2yo
Tips

Postby RightSaidGeoff » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 am

Thanks Jim.
It certainly seems like a case of not wanting to pay out 134 prizes, now it's been made much more difficult for people with say no more than 50 tips a month - without selecting a load of short price ones.

I see you said: "We appreciate there are a minority who try to manipulate the competitions, we closed a batch of accounts with these intentions around this time last year and continue to monitor accounts who play large odds to excessive amounts."

If you feel it's not right to play the competitions in that way (and personally I think it doesn't matter what people's tactics are, given the requirement to make a profit and have at least 15 tips in a month) then why not just get rid of people that way and not make the requirements more difficult to achieve? Am not in favour of any more requirements than those two things, and like I said, needing 10 winning tips a month is really off-putting and means a prize is probably out of reach given how I play, so it's not really worth getting involved now.

PompeyJim
At Stud
Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:21 am

Appreciate your feedback RightSaidGeoff, yes we do block accounts if it's felt the sole intention is to manipulate the generous cash prizes on offer and tips are being placed without the best interests of the wider olbg community and not in the spirit of the competition. The increase is not with the intention of not paying x amount of prizes, the main racing table was raised in line with the football tables with the amount of daily racing available now, it was felt 10 is a realistic number and as mentioned this was a case of trialling this month and seeing how it goes. The competition manager will review after January has finished.

Thanks again and appreciate your feedback.

ClevelandBay
Handicapper
Tips

Postby ClevelandBay » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:37 pm

I think the requirement to have at least 10 winning tips for the horse racing comments competition is a real shame.
If you're happy to have 134 prizes then the people in those positions who got a profit deserve a prize. I don't think it matters if people throw a lot of darts at the board or play at big odds. They must be doing something right to net a profit, and if it's just luck then it won't happen for the same people every month because you need to play to value prices to make a profit in the long-run.

And for people like me who have no more than 30-40 tips a month and look for value away from the favourite, it's pretty difficult to get 10 winners in a month at decent prices, so am seriously thinking that now it's not even worth entering them here at all. It's already something that requires a disproportionate amount of time compared to the likely potential prize of only a fiver.

Also, on New Year's Eve, Tipstonga said the table shows "the 134 places will not be fully covered in December mainly due to negative LSP and not due to number of positive results counting 5 as now or 10 as next month."

From the final table, 135 people made a profit in December and 129 had 5 winners or more.
45 had fewer than 10 winners though, so that would have been only 90 prizes if the new minimum had been in place.
And so far this month, with 5 days remaining, there's only 100 people who've done enough to qualify. Seems to me this is more about trying to avoid paying out as many of the 134 prizes each month as possible.
There are good points in this.
I worry that quality will be lost in the extra wins needed. I can understand members getting disheartened at the extra disproportinate time to get on the 134 prize table.
I think I have said before it is a decent site for playing about with strategies etc and prizes are not my main aim but seeing your name up is a good boost.
Would it be possible to have a seperate naps and next best table with a decent prize structure?
Stick at RSGeoff and all who look to keep it real.