Do You Have A Question On Betting Exchanges And Trading?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Do You Have A Question On Betting Exchanges And Trading?

Postby nors » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 am

We have had a lot of recent enquiries on Betting Exchanges and Trading. If YOU have a question about Betting Exchanges and trading on those exchanges then - Ask Away.
Last edited by nors on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:08 am

I seem to be getting a few PMs about this every week so I am glad that Nors has opened up a question thread.

My general advice for people interested in starting to trade is;

- take the OLBG betting school exams on laying and using the exchanges. Most people understand backing but you need to understand laying too.

- read the threads in the OLBG trading/exchange section, theres some useful info there.

- download Google Reader and subscribe to free internet blogs on the subject. Search for Betfair trading blogs to find them. Once you've found some the links on each blog will find you more.

- practice. Start by trading small amounts until you get the hang of it and also to ensure you are mentally right for the job. The mental aspects are key. If you arent prepared to be a disciplined trader then stick to naked punting. Small profits often are better than long-term losses.

Hopefully between us on OLBG we will be able to answer any questions you might have.

Finally good luck.

thatsa donkey
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby thatsa donkey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Alfie et al

What is the best opportunity to trade? Ante-Post, on the day Pre-Event or In-Play?

Donkey. :hope: :win: :hope:

Dammo Qwirky
Stallion
Tips

Postby Dammo Qwirky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:35 pm

antepost is more likely to be lower liquidity market, with that kinda market there are usually more gaps so u have room to get yer price request in, but of course smaller chance of it being taken as less people in the market.

inplay there are usually lots of people trading at that time so good chance of getting matched if u r wanting reasonable price. markets faster moving as more people trading.

in short there are things to be said for both of those. many people like to deal pre event as the market moves about a bit and theres a fair amount of money available but still allows people to get out if the market moves against them.
Positions are available in the OLBG Lottery syndicate. Wanna join? Please PM me for info.

harryevie
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby harryevie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Theres some great trading vids on youtube.

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:54 pm

Well it seems my minor rant in the racing CHAT thread today stimulated some to look at other ways to bet. This is the thread where the basic questions can be asked.

If you are going to open an exchange account then make sure you use the OLBG sign-up offers - you'll get a freebie and you'll help fund the OLBG prize pot :win:

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 am

olivercarding asked:
Last night i tried my hand at a bit of Lay betting

I layed £2 on a horse at 15.50 in play, and sure enough the horse lost which makes my bet a winning bet.

However my return was only £2, how is this right ?

manutd08 answered:
When you Lay you effectively act as the bookie, so if you placed a £2 bet at the bookies at odds of 15.5 and it lost the bookie would keep the £2.

If it had won you would have lost £29 though.
If your new to laying then make sure you have the WHAT IF option selected. Its available through the more options tab on any market page. That way you can see the impact on laying at varying odds and various backer stakes. The liabilities are shown in RED under the selection and the potential winnings in GREEN under every other runner. Obviously you should not press SUMBIT until you are ready to place the bet.

Through that tab you can also select to display profit/loss with or without commission deductions.

If you want BF to work out the backers stake and you specify the liability then select the lay side of your selection and then click liability in the place bets screen.

I'd strongly advise newbie layers to take it very easy during the learning process as mistakes can be damaging. Start at the OLBG betting school, see link in previous post.

sofaking
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sofaking » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:47 am

Last night i tried my hand at a bit of Lay betting

I layed £2 on a horse at 15.50 in play, and sure enough the horse lost which makes my bet a winning bet.

However my return was only £2, how is this right ?
that's a very risky game to play. There's no way I'd lay a horse at such high odds.

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:28 pm

sofaking, ignoring the fact that he didn't really understand the way a lay bet works so talking generally which would you say is more risky.

lay a horse £2 @ 15's

lay a horse £14 @ 3's

would you judge the risk just by the price or would have to factor how likely you think the horse is to win?

sofaking
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sofaking » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:16 pm

I reckon Lay a horse £14 @ 3's is more risky as it has a much higher chance of winning. Interesting question though, I need to think about it some more. :?

what about you, what do you reckon?

Squire
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Squire » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Query re the Quail Hollow Champioship

Please bear with me as I am new to trading, and I'm struggling to know what stake to lay a selection at, when the price drops. :oops:

Before the start of play, I backed 3 players for £2 each:

Ogilvy at 50
Villegas at 34
Bohn at 120

I then layed each player in-play, again at £2 each

Ogilvy at 16.50
Villegas at 15
Bohn at 110

I still can't work out what my guaranteed win is from each trade :P

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Squire - set up your WHAT IF option as shown in my post above and/or read my post on the Intro to Trading thread where it shows you how to do the manual calculations.

WHAT IF is easier :)