Introduction to Trading / Exchange betting (Betfair)

beepee1984
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby beepee1984 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I was looking at maybe trading Bombadero in Ireland today, I'm not now because it is only having it's first run for the trainer and he does not usually run well 1st time out. But he is a horse that can travel really well, but never find anything.

Anyway my question, Is it worth backing to lay on a regular meeting in Ireland, or is the not enough Liquidity to make it worth while?

Online Trader
Stallion
Tips

Postby Online Trader » Mon May 09, 2011 2:37 pm

beepee, depends on how big your stakes are but you should be OK, a lot of money enters the market in the 10 mins before the off as this is when the pre race traders go to town, if you are playing huge stakes then of course it may be a problem getting matched but small stakes should be fine :yes:
Follow me on Twitter

Light Years Behind

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon May 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Agree with OT,

On the bigger meetings you should be fine, there is less liquidity on the smaller meetings but at the head of the market you should be ok.

But you can check the amounts traded on each individual race on Betfair. + often you can narrow the field down with smaller traded races as the fancied runners stand out more clearly.

beepee1984
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby beepee1984 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks for your replies. As I say I've decided to leave it today, but I'm going to keep a close eye on the Market 10 mins before the off and inrunning.
OT it is most certainly small stakes, after all I'm just learning the trading game. It uses different Logic to punting and I'm recording everything to decide if I should do it in the long term alongside my straight forward punting.

DomK01
Handicapper
Tips

Postby DomK01 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Just starting to learn about Trading now, tnx for this post m8 :win:

RomanyKing
Stallion
Tips

Postby RomanyKing » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Just out of interest has anyone on here ever tried laying the biggies? I've read about various pro punters who make large profits from laying horses that have 'no chance' of winning eg. 50/1 shots. Too much of a risk for me personally but I think if my wallet was of huge proportions I'd probably have attempted it at some point!

Oh and I don't mean trading out, as I do that now on the outsiders.
Love Outsiders...Hate Favourites

follow me on twitter @samsationuk

Dammo Qwirky
Stallion
Tips

Postby Dammo Qwirky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:36 pm

dont do it rk, ull be successful for ages and then get wiped out. i taught some woman trading a few years back and she had made a couple hundred laying a fiver a pop then she had two longer priced winners come in one week to leave her down. i had warned her but she thought she knew better!
Positions are available in the OLBG Lottery syndicate. Wanna join? Please PM me for info.

Online Trader
Stallion
Tips

Postby Online Trader » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 am

Had to post this up, have just seen it on one of the blogs that I follow:

"Amateurs look for challenges; professionals look for easy trades. Losers get high from the action; the pros look for the best odds."

Dr Alexander Elder from 'Come into my Trading Room
Follow me on Twitter

Light Years Behind

subway
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby subway » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi guys, great discussion here for newbies like myself. just wondering is there some where like playbetfair around as this seems to have gone ? just somewhere to practice without putting money down yet. appreciate any help ,great forum.

turfline
Stallion
Tips

Postby turfline » Thu May 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Protecting your Betting Bank/s is a key to punting/trading.............

I never ever Lay anything over 8/1 Betfair 9.00..

I will punt on selections and Back depending how i rate them on my Ratings System...Example..

I backed Sunnyhillboy at Betfair 27.00 & Befair 7.00 Place....I traded on Sunnyhillboy in the race..it hit 1.04 at the elbow in the Grand National.

I use big-priced selections and Trade out at lower odds....in-running.

As for Laying big-priced odds you are tempting the racing gods, and as far as i am concerned it is bad risk to take.

Risk-managemet must be part of your trading, and the other is continuity.

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Am I right in saying, that you can only lose what is in the bank/account of Betfair and not anything else.

ie = £25 in Betfair you can lose this amount in laying and backing.

If I lay a horse at 2/1 (3.0) for £5 and it wins, and I laid this four times do I lose 2/1 x £5 =£15 x 4 . if horse lose, I win £20 or 2/1 x £5 =£15 x 4 = £60?

In this case I have lost my bank/account in Betfair, or would I only lose upto what is in my account.

I am not sure on this part, like someone to point me right.

Bobsselections
At Stud
Tips

Postby Bobsselections » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Meoldmate if you laid a horse at 2/1 for £5 four times and it won you would lose 2/1x£5=£10x4 as you are offering two for every one they back with.
If the horse loses you would win the £20 that backers put on the horse to win.
No matter what price you lay at you can only win the amount you are offering which in this case was £20.