Nick Blackwell wakes from coma

FrankieMonkhouse
Group 2 Class
Tips

Nick Blackwell wakes from coma

Postby FrankieMonkhouse » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:09 am

British middlweight Nick Blackwell woke from his induced coma this week following that brutal fight with Chris Eubank Jnr.

Everyone in the fight game, and indeed sport, were shocked by what happened to Blackwell and it's great news to hear he looks to be in the early stages of recovery.Fortunately there's not many serious injuries in boxing these days due to the advancement in safety but something like this really knocks the game for six.

It's rather predictable that critics of the sport wasted no time in coming out to call for a ban on boxing, which appears to have been ridiculed a lot quicker than it used to be. I read there was blame being put on Blackwell;s trainer Gary Lockett for not pulling his man out of the fight earlier for his own safety. Even the referee got it for letting the fight go too long.

Both seem ridiculous to me. Obviously boxing is a tough game but every kid is warned about the risks from the first day they step into an amateur gym. I don't know Lockett personally either but what I have heard, and seen from his other fighters, is that he treats his stable like family and having been a pro himself I dont doubt that for a second. The fight was enthralling to fans and if the ref had called a halt to it maybe 2 rounds earlier we don't know if that would have changed things for Blackwell but I do know fans would have been up in arms. Remember the way we all acted when Groves was stopped early against Froch for his own safety? Groves was saved to come again and is still competing at a high level and earning money from it.

Unfortunately I doubt Blackwell will be licensed by the board to fight again and the entire boxing family send their best and I'm sure will aid his recovery and life after boxing. A brave man who put it all on the line for our entertainment and another shining example of how boxing really is the toughest sport on the planet. Fighters certainly deserve better than the inevitable Twitter trolls that gatecrashed the debate, but less said about those cowards the better.
Professional boxer from Greenock, Scotland now based in London. Trained and managed by Alec Wilkey and sponsored by OLBG.com

gogona
2yo
Tips

Postby gogona » Sun May 22, 2016 7:30 am

great information..

mc1000
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby mc1000 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:24 am

Nice post... great to know Nick Blackwell is on the road to recovery and although this will be always be a dangerous sport I think the greatest risk to boxing as a sport and in terms of safety is posed by allowing mismatches such as last nights fight card. Ezequiel Zarate should never have been in the same ring as Shannon Briggs and there were several other mismatches on the card caused by late replacements etc. As for the feature fight David Haye's opponent although unbeaten to the best of my knowledge had not beaten anyone of note and had rarely if ever boxed outside of Switzerland. I fully understand this was all engineeerd to set up a money spinner between Haye and Briggs and the fighters themselves can only beat who is in front of them but in my humble opinion these sort of events are dangerous for the sport in more ways than one.

FrankieMonkhouse
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby FrankieMonkhouse » Tue May 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Haye is managing/promoting the show as far as I know and I think he'll pay the price for trying to dupe boxing and sports fans. It's too much like WWE it's scary, the whole thing is a set up for Haye - Briggs, as you said, but if the average punter in the street can see that then the promotion is failing. Then when Haye does fight Briggs does anyone really care?
Professional boxer from Greenock, Scotland now based in London. Trained and managed by Alec Wilkey and sponsored by OLBG.com