Heavyweight Boxing Rankings (opinion!)

bitmoretechnical
Listed Class
Tips

Heavyweight Boxing Rankings (opinion!)

Postby bitmoretechnical » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:57 pm

The Wilder, Martin and Haye fights last weekend only increased the excitement and anticipation in the heavyweight scene at the moment. But who is really the best?

There are four main governing bodies who all have different rankings and boxrec usually do a decent job of unbiased rankings. But these systems all rely on past performances.

Who do you think is actually the best right now? Mine is below:

1. Tyson Fury
2. Anthony Joshua
3. David Haye
4. Deontay Wilder
5. Wladimir Klitschko
6. Alexander Povetkin
7. Luis Ortiz
8. Joseph Parker
9. Bryant Jennings
10. Artur Spzilka
Last edited by bitmoretechnical on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Hello,
I quite like David Haye, as know he a lot fitter and better shape now.
Well you can t go on his first come back fight!!
Need someone stronger like Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua..
Quite nice to see Klitschko got beaten..
As know getting back into boxing again..
After long time Frank Bruno fan back in the 80s..

Decoro54
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Decoro54 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Haye's fight the other night was a joke!Clearly he's back for a big pay day.As for his physical conditioning, haye looks after himself outside the ring so wouldn't look into that too much.With Shane Mc Guigon in Hayes's corner now maybe they see some potential in him.Eddie Ahearn talking up a big British heavyweight fight between Haye and Joshua.Really hope Joshua doesn't fall for Hayes's big fight payday.Haye should prove himself first before he deserves a shot at Joshua. For me David Price would stuff Haye.If he manages to beat Price (which he wouldn't) well then Whyte should be next in line before he thinks about that big pay day.From the evidence on his comeback fight he's nowhere near proving himself to being a half decent opponent for Joshua!

bitmoretechnical
Listed Class
Tips

Postby bitmoretechnical » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Interesting thoughts!

I agree De Mori is a very low level fighter but the fight showed me that Haye's injuries seem to have healed and his reactions still seem sharp.

Price has power, for a couple of rounds, but then fades fast. Stopped 3 times as a pro against average opposition and stopped as an amateur too. Haye would destroy him and he lacks credibility anyway.

I think Haye would still struggle to beat Klitschko, and would probably lose to Fury. But Wilder is too easy to hit and Haye could do a job on him. The Joshua fight would be very interesting!

SteveLiverpool
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby SteveLiverpool » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm a big David Haye fan, and while he needs to work his way back into the division and prove time away isn't a factor then i expect him to be the man to provide the most exciting fights in the next year/two years.

Price or Whyte would be ideal next opponents but I can only seeing him blitzing both.
Price for me has been such a disappointment. Showed such promise, but with a suspect chin against mediocre opposition he would be in serious danger against Haye. Whyte to is too cumbersome for me, but would provide Haye with the rounds he requires.

Povetkin and Wilder too are too hittable in my opinion and would provide the quickest and probably easiest path to a belt.

Joshua could be an explosive encounter but don't think that'll happen until one or both have a belt in the bag. At this moment in time i think Hearn will want to distance himself from that kind of power while Joshua continues to learn his trade and shore up those defenses which were a little exposed against Whyte.

Finally on to Fury. My view is slightly skewed by the fact i can't take to him in any form, and on top of that he isn't an exciting fighter to watch.
What he did out in Germany however can't be ignored and was very impressive in its own way. Could he take Haye's power, Could Haye get to him to find out. It would be a intriguing fight, and certainly one i'd like to see. But after Hayes previous withdrawals i think it will take a belt to already have been won in order to make the fight. and with it, a huge UK showdown.

Frankel1
Listed Class
Tips

Re: Heavyweight Boxing Rankings (opinion!)

Postby Frankel1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:44 pm

The Wilder, Martin and Haye fights last weekend only increased the excitement and anticipation in the heavyweight scene at the moment. But who is really the best?

There are four main governing bodies who all have different rankings and boxrec usually do a decent job of unbiased rankings. But these systems all rely on past performances.

Who do you think is actually the best right now? Mine is below:

1. Tyson Fury
2. Anthony Joshua
3. David Haye

4. Deontay Wilder
5. Wladimir Klitschko
6. Alexander Povetkin
7. Luis Ortiz
8. Joseph Parker
9. Bryant Jennings
10. Artur Spzilka

I'd have to disagree with your selections here.First off,David Haye has just comeback from a 4 year lay-off and has to fight someone of significance if he's even to enter the top 10,a win over De Mori does not do this for him.

Anthony Joshua hasn't fought anyone of significance either.His best win is over Dillian Whyte who's best win was against a blown-up 41 year old cruiserweight in Brian Minto.

My top 10

1.Tyson Fury
2.Wladimir Klitschko
3.Deontay Wilder
4.Alexander Povetkin
5.Kubrat Pulev
6.Bermane Stiverne
7.Charles Martin
8.Luiz Ortiz
9.Dereck Chisora
10.Bryant Jennings
War does not determine who is right - only who is left

lakeshiadaniela
2yo
Tips

Postby lakeshiadaniela » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Team Ortiz here :D

bitmoretechnical
Listed Class
Tips

Postby bitmoretechnical » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:50 pm

All good points.

It is ok to rank to people on their past performances but in reality that doesn't determine how good someone is. If it did, no new contenders would ever win a title.

I believe in Joshua even though he hasn't beaten anyone significant yet. And most people agree - he is 2/9 to beat Martin. So surely in personal rankings he should be above Martin? We'll find out soon anyway!

And, actually, I think Whyte will go on to prove he is a decent heavyweight.

bitmoretechnical
Listed Class
Tips

Postby bitmoretechnical » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:34 am

With Joshua winning a version of the world title, people who do boxing rankings all over the world have scrambled to get the Brit in their top ten. We called it a while ago however....

Boxing News usually have a pretty solid ranking system and it's heavyweight top ten looks like this:

1. Fury
2. Klitschko
3. Povetkin
4. Wilder
5. Pulev
6. Ortiz
7. Joshua
8. Stiverne
9. Takam
10. Browne

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/heavyweight/

BadReligion
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby BadReligion » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:41 pm

In the heavyweight division I'd the top four are:

1) Tyson Fury
2) Deontay Wilder
3) Luis Ortiz
4) Wladmir Kltschko

If they all fought each other I think that is how it would play out.

Luis Ortiz is an odd one because he had that doping issue which affected his ranking. Everyone has been ducking him because he's dangerous and they won't get much dough for fighting him.

I expect Tyson Fury to dominate the division for many years. He's highly skilled. The dude is huge. He might not have the body builders physique of Joshua but if all the boxers entered Worlds Strongest Man Contest Fury would win. He might not knock the other guys out but if it goes the distance he will always win on points. They won't get near him.

Wilder is entertaining and never has a boring fight. However, if he ever meets Fury I expect it to go the distance and Fury to get the decision.

Anthony Joshua is Eddie Hearn's cashcow. If he faces a top contender, even David Haye he will lose. The guy is a hype job and they will keep building him up by fighting bums.

Ortiz and Klitschko are getting old. I don't expect them to be around much longer.

The boxing governing bodies actually raise a few eyebrows with their rankings. In fact I suspect there are a few brown envelopes exchanging hands across the sport as a whole. I hate seeing boxers robbed by the judges decision which is usually in favour of the more politically connected fighter.

Fury is my main man. The dude is too good and I like the guy. He has a few leftfield ideas which I don't agree with but his philosophical views on life, the dude has got it nailed on. Wilder is a good bloke as well and that would be a more entertaining fight than the Klitschko snoozefest.

BadReligion
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby BadReligion » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Things aren't looking good for Tyson Fury. There were reports suggesting he had tested positive for nandrolone and now a positive test for cocaine. It's likely he is going to be stripped of his belts.

He' always alluded to mental health issues. I believe that he has these problems because you only arrive at the philosophical views that he has by thinking about whether life is worthwhile.

I don't think PED's were the reason he beat Wladmir Klitschko. He out-boxed him and was the more skilful fighter.

I know a lot of people don't like him but mental illness is no joke and I hope he gets better.

bishbosh
Classic Winner
Tips

Re: Heavyweight Boxing Rankings (opinion!)

Postby bishbosh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:27 am

Ortiz been a disappointment so far with Hearn
Needs to step up in 2017 as hes 38 now i think.

Can see Haye claiming a title this year after battering bellew and fighting anyone other than joshua.
It really is joshuas division to unify
If I study and fail so be it
But to not study is like opening your window and throwing your money out hoping the wind brings it back in