Tony Bellew vs David Haye (Heavyweight) - 5th May 2018

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Tony Bellew vs David Haye (Heavyweight) - 5th May 2018

Postby Gman84 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:45 pm

The rematch. A shock last time as Haye injured his achilles midway through the fight and eventually the towel was thrown in but his trainer.

He's since had to delay this with another injury so both fighters will have been out of the ring for over a year by the time this happens. Haye is the favourite but not as strong as last time. This does appear to be win or bust for him as if his body breaks down or he just can't do the job he's going to be completely disregarded in the heavyweight picture and I think he knows that and would likely hang it up.

Interesting watching the press conference this week. Haye was desperately trying to keep his cool, give Bellew all the credit for the first win and not letting Bellew's comments wind him up but I also got the feeling he was dying just to let rip underneath and state he was only beaten by the injury and bad luck last time.

Before the injury, I would have had Haye narrowly ahead on points but you can't really judge the last 5 rounds as both fighters gameplans went out of the window, Bellew near punched himself out and bhaye was just trying to land a big shot and save himself.

Haye is too short for me in the straight betting, 2/5 for a guy who has only had one real fight in the last 6 years. It's hard to trust his body. I do think he might be worth backing in the early rounds for a knockout because he does have the power to get anyone out there if he lands cleanly. I do feel this fight just depends on Haye and his fitness. Bellew is consistent and solid, you know what you are going to get and the longer the fight goes, the better his chances are.
Grand National - Pinstickers Guide Blog

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/juliebrophy

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Tony Bellew vs David Haye (Heavyweight) - 5th May 2018

Postby Gman84 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:01 pm

It's been an interesting build up. Bellew has spent time trying to wind Haye up and Haye has tried his best not to bite. I think he's dying to bite because I still don't think he rates Bellew and sees him as getting in the way of his bigger hopes and dreams but because of what happened last time he has to right the wrong (as he sees it) or he's finished.

Haye clearly had an issue before the last fight but he also clearly didn't prepare as well as he could do and he paid the price. I do thin k he's a better boxer and athlete than Bellew but does he have the heart and can he contain his desire just to unload on a guy he really doesn't like and gets under his skin?

So I see it as a fight Haye either wins early or Bellew wins late. It's hard to trust Haye's body to hold up as it hasn't done over the last few years but he still has the power and ability to get rid of anyone early. I've put my tip comment up but to cover my prediction briefly, I see Haye spending a round or two just feeling things out, showing a little bit of patience but if he can land his jab consistently early, he'll finally get to land that big bomb he's dying to get on Bellew's chin and if he does that, an early knockout could be on the cards. The longer the fight goes, the better Bellew's chances become.

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:34 pm

SkyBet have boosted Haye to win in rounds 1-4 to 5/1 so had a bit of that.

21Jackpot
2yo
Tips

Postby 21Jackpot » Sat May 05, 2018 3:40 pm

David Haye is by far the most likely winner of this fight in my opinion. That's not to say that Tony Bellew doesn't have the skill-set to win this fight but Haye has shown throughout his career to be the superior boxer. That is the only major issue surrounding Haye's chances in my opinion. His best days are likely to be behind him but I do believe he has been able to retain more than enough ability to get the better of Bellew here.

Whilst I wouldn't suggest completely ignoring the first fight, I do believe this will be a much different fight stylistically as I expect Haye to be far more methodical and patient in his approach. Many have raised the issue of Haye's endurance and believe that he must get the knock-out if he is to win this fight. I don't believe that to be the case. I'm not convinced Tony Bellew carries the weight well at heavyweight and I would be more concerned about his ability to see out the 12 round distance than Haye.

I expect this to be a cagey affair for the first half of this fight and I don't think Bellew will apply enough pressure to significantly empty the 'gas tank' of Haye due to his wariness of Haye's power. Following the crude approach to the opening 4 rounds of the first fight, Haye calmed down and got behind the jab in the 5th and was able to pick Bellew off rather routinely. What ensued from round 6 on was solely dictated by the ruptured achilles tendon and I don't expect Bellew to be anywhere near as aggressive as that here. The tactics employed by Haye in round 5 of the first fight is the way I expect him to commence this fight and he has the potential to make this a very frustrating night for Tony Bellew. I do expect Haye to unleash a barrage of his biggest shots at some point in this fight, but I think that is likely to come somewhere in the second half of the fight.

In summary, I think Haye wins this fight. Based on what Bellew said prior to and after the 1st fight and what he has been saying in the lead up to this fight suggests to me that he has a belief that Haye's body will fail him. It did just that last time and it can by no means be ruled out this time, but a fighter reliant on an opponent failing is a dangerous approach and I think it will be his undoing here.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Excellent analysis, good luck if you’re having a bet.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Completely wrong about this and it was obvious once the pair were in the ring. Haye just didn’t look right and wasn’t punching off the correct stance, he was patient for a round then started to try and land and Bellew could see everything coming and once he caught Haye the first time the writing was on the wall.

Haye wouldn’t commit to quitting but I just can’t see how he goes on?

21Jackpot
2yo
Tips

Postby 21Jackpot » Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 pm

You're completely right about his stance. Whilst most don't want to here excuses, I would like to know how much his achilles (assuming it was injured) was hampering him prior to and during the fight. Full credit to Bellew, his belief about Haye's body breaking down was proven to be true and I thought he looked comfortable in there for most of the fight. He was happy to trade with Haye and came off best for the most part. It was clear to see that Haye was a shadow of his former self in there but 'timing is key' and Bellew took full advantage of that.

I hope that David Haye calls it a day now as his body is not fit enough to put himself through what is a very dangerous sport. I hope I am wrong on this one (as I was with my prediction) but I think it is likely we will see Haye in the ring again.

robinho7
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby robinho7 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:00 pm

I was completely against Haye after seeing his poor stance in his previous two fights including the first fight with Bellew. We see it in football, rugby and tennis etc that when players legs go in their 30's there's nothing they can do and retire....it's slightly different in Boxing as so many keep on fighting just purely for the big pay days and this for me was all about promotion for Haye to get one final big payday...From the first round of the first fight Haye looked 'drunk-like' because his leg work was that OFF and i was never going to touch him at odds on favourite due to that....