Round 2 - Last 16

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:32 pm

From the players Roy Hodgson selected for the squad who would you not have taken to France? These players were thought by him to be the best English players available.

Now i am sure we all have ideas of 1 or 2 players that we would have liked to include but the pool to choose from isn't that big.

Kane who i like as a player couldn't have been left at home, Hart was the obvious 1st choice goalkeeper, Cahill and Smalling picked themselves, Dier and Alli had excellent seasons, Vardy scored a hatful of goals. Is there much difference between Walker and Rose and Clyne or Cresswell.

Most of the squad would have been chosen by most English managers, whoever it was.

I suspect in the Iceland Game, Roy and his backroom team were not as well prepared as they should have been and didn't pass on enough instruction to the players, the scoring of such an early goal by England lulled them into thinking the game was won and it was going to be easy.

In the game against Russia they were prepared like many teams in their opening games, the game against Wales was a derby so they knew what to expect. Slovakia wasn't a MUST win and it showed. When Iceland came out of the hat they just didn't prepare as they should have done.

ibfm23
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby ibfm23 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Agreed re choice of players

Possibly Drinkwater and Noble

And I would have taken Carroll instead of Rashford to give me an alternative

But man... decisions during the competition were poor... very poor... by anyone's standards.

1. Hart not replaced after mistake vs Wales
2. Rooney in midfield
3. Sturridge from the start in a deep role

to name a few...