Euro 2016 Player Of The Tournement with two trends

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Euro 2016 Player Of The Tournement with two trends

Postby LustForLeith » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:15 pm

‎
Player of the tournament with two 100% trends identified

With the tournament almost upon us, I thought I’d look into the Player of the Tournament awards to see if I could identify anything of interest.

The award has been given out since 1996 and in that time it’s produced five winners. These are

1996 – Matthias Sammer (Germany)

2000 – Zinedine Zidance (France)

2004 – Teodoros Zagorakis (Greece)

2008 – Xavi (Spain)

2012 – Iniesta (Spain)

Two trends are apparent. The winning country has also produced the player of the tournament and the player in question was a midfielder.

One thing that surprised me is that there are no strikers listed. The Euro’s aren’t always known as a goal fest of a competition but it still took me by surprise.

So, if we were to follow that trend, would we be able to identify potential winners of the best player of the tournament award?

Looking at the list of countries competing with and their best midfielder, here’s a list.

France – Paul Pogba

There’s no denying Pogba is one of the finest young talents in the world just now, he could be the best. And this is the platform for which he could dazzle.

He’s in a promising team who are hosting the competition. A lot will ride on his young shoulders.

Germany – Mesut Ozil

I don’t think he gets the praise he deserves. Do Arsenal use him to his full potential? On his day there’s no one better at assisting others, something that could be a great skill to have if Germany are to win the tournament.

Belgium – Kevin De Bruyne

I was undecided between him and Eden Hazard. I went for the Man City star over the Chelsea midfielder just because of the strength of the performance last season. Will I regret not going for Hazard who did improve massively at the end of the season?

Austria – David Alaba

Complete outsider but like Pogba he’s one to watch for the future. One of the most versatile players around who can easily play anywhere on the park, if Austria do win the trophy it may well be down to him.

‎

megadan1213
Listed Class
Tips

Postby megadan1213 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:13 pm

Completely agree with you and i also like to look at past tournaments for some clues and trends as to what could happen this summer.

I agree it seems most likely the player of the tournament will be someone who is on the winning side, however, with the extension of 16 to 24 teams, maybe a player who only reaches the semi-finals could be considered; if it was a striker with 8-9 goals or something like that.

If I was making one on that market, a player that sticks out to me is N'golo Kante. He may not score many goals, but that guy in France's midfield is going to be so vital to any French success.

He is currently 50/1, but once pundits start analyzing him and showing how he is making perfect tackles, intercepting everything, bursting forward and making killer passes, every single game, his price will come right down. He was the player of the season in the Premier League this year in my opinion, and will almost certainly start every game alongside Matuidi, their other options are Cabaye and Schneiderlin. He will be key to any French success i think.

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:27 pm

has any player won it 2 times before?

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:52 am

has any player won it 2 times before?
No player has won it twice. Probably because it's every four years and it's difficult for players to recreate that form.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:53 am

Completely agree with you and i also like to look at past tournaments for some clues and trends as to what could happen this summer.

I agree it seems most likely the player of the tournament will be someone who is on the winning side, however, with the extension of 16 to 24 teams, maybe a player who only reaches the semi-finals could be considered; if it was a striker with 8-9 goals or something like that.

If I was making one on that market, a player that sticks out to me is N'golo Kante. He may not score many goals, but that guy in France's midfield is going to be so vital to any French success.

He is currently 50/1, but once pundits start analyzing him and showing how he is making perfect tackles, intercepting everything, bursting forward and making killer passes, every single game, his price will come right down. He was the player of the season in the Premier League this year in my opinion, and will almost certainly start every game alongside Matuidi, their other options are Cabaye and Schneiderlin. He will be key to any French success i think.
Goog point!

I'm not sure how the things are awarded and sometimes I'm a bit sceptical about them. Messi, best player at the last World Cup? He wasn't even the best Argentinian in my opinion!

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:32 am

Like Pogba, if De Bruyne or Hazard can show their Premier league class they could be in the mix however Belgium will need to do well and in many instances they struggle at tournaments with the amount of quality players they have.

Ozil is Ozil, much of what he does is not appreciated because of his languid style and i am not so keen on the Germans this time around.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 am

Which players have impressed you so far?

Kross was praised to the hilt by the BBC for his range of passing.

Payet played very well and scored a wonder goal.

schneedler25
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby schneedler25 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:11 pm

I felt candreva had a very good game for Italy against the Belgians so he could be in the mix as well if Italy can keep up that level

ibfm23
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby ibfm23 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:58 pm

In my view the best players in the first round, barring something magical from CR7 tonight were:

Payet for France

Modric for Croatia

Bonucci for Italy

I have to say though that Ronaldo at 14 looks intriguing...

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:30 am

The player of the tournament still looks up for grabs with 5/1 the field, Payet heads that list. If we try and presume that France and Belgium will get through the Quarter Finals then the French and Belgium players should be to the fore font in looking for a value bet.

DannyBlue wrote in his blog
The UEFA Player of the Tournament award is a very interesting market, as It's never been given to the top scorer of the tournament and has always been won by a key player from the winning side.
Considering the teams most likely to win the competition or at least reach the final we can draw a line between great players playing for a usually underachieving side, and the others playing for one of the favorite nations.
If we consider the stats during the tournament of previous winners there is also to consider the interesting fact that none of them really shine in terms of goals or assist, and that they are usually well established players never under 27 years old.
That makes Pogba too young even if he has brilliant games in the next few matches. Does anyone think Lloris or Buffon could be value? A goalie would be a left field choice.

Italy are more of a team than individuals so wouldn't think an Italian outfield player would win it.

That leaves
France
Germany
Belgium

Dimitri Payet 5
Eden Hazard 7
Antoine Griezmann 11
Toni Kroos 15
Kevin De Bruyne 21
Paul Pogba 21

Payet is 29 so fits the bill age wise, and his emotions when scoring i suspect UEFA will want to highlight. Hazard and Kroos are under 27.

UEFA have a barometer where they measure performance before and during the tournament.

The top 10 currently are
1. De Bruyne!
2. Payet
3.Hazard
4. Bale
5 Kross
6 Hector
7 Griezman
8 Ronaldo
9 Perisic
10 Ozil

The top Italian is Chiellini in 18th place. Although i like Eder as a player.

hunter12
Handicapper
Tips

Postby hunter12 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm

I would make a point for Jerome Boateng as the best player so far by a distance, but the only problem is that he's a defender. How likely is it going to be that he wins an individual trophy? The last time that happened was at the World Cup 06 as far as I know. However, the Germans are still without a goal against, he's their leader at the back and has been nothing short of spectacular, even scored a goal now in the latest game.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:40 pm

I agree Hunter with Boateng the goal he scored will also help, these final games will be crucial in who is selected. I think firstly we need to decide who we think will win it and then select maybe a fav and outsider from that team.