Should Wayne Rooney be in the England team/squad?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon May 23, 2016 11:29 am

I have had a rethink about Rooney starting against Russia and am more tempted to have 4 traditional midfield players in game 1 where we may be under pressure.

The 4 : Drinkwater, Wilshire, Dell Ali, (Henderson or Dier).

I think we need 2 sitting or deeper midfielders to nullify the threat from Russia, so 2 out of Drinkwater, Henderson or Dier.

Rooney can come on if things have gone pear shaped. This probably will not happen but would be my midfield.

Lukasst
2yo
Tips

Rooney

Postby Lukasst » Wed May 25, 2016 6:40 pm

I think he shouldn't.
You have Vardy, Kane and a couple of other decent players.
I don't see the point of having Rooney around in Euro 2016.
Why not having Cantona and Gascoigne, too?

Lukasst
2yo
Tips

Rooney

Postby Lukasst » Wed May 25, 2016 6:40 pm

I think he shouldn't.
You have Vardy, Kane and a couple of other decent players.
I don't see the point of having Rooney around in Euro 2016.
Why not having Cantona and Gascoigne, too?

pumpdaball
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Should Wayne Rooney be in the England team/squad?

Postby pumpdaball » Wed May 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Wayne Rooney's importance to the England team is under scrutiny currently with many fans wanting him on the bench at the Euros and some even wanting the all time top scorer for his country left at home.

We recently asked a selection of OLBG members for their thoughts about whether Rooney should start the first Euro 2016 match for England against Russia on June 11th. Those opinions were emailed out to members, if you missed that email you can view it by clicking here.

On this thread you can continue the Wayne Rooney selection discussion:

Wayne Rooney is just 2/7 with SkyBet> to start for England. Would you back that?
Would he make your starting XI?
Would he make your 23 man squad?
How important is he to the England set up?
Is Roy Hodgson too loyal to his old favourites?
No I wouldn't back that odds for that outcome

No he would not make my starting XI, we all reach the end of our prime, and clearly he has reached his, and that has to be accepted. He was good and now others are better.

Yes he would be on the 23 man squad, simply because he would be ok as a sub.

Wayne Rooney was more important in times past, but that importance has faded as has the players contribution to the team. it's life.

Roy Hodgson has yet to convince anyone he knows what he is doing. He lacks the cut throat attitude required for that job, he is a man who likes to be liked, and that does not get the job done, in a job such as his, one will have as many people who dislike you as you do fans. part and parcel. The team needs control, dicipline, and incentive, and I'm not sure Roy Hodgson can administer all or any of those. He is however a gentleman, but is that what is required in an International Football Coach, I'm not sure. It would be a poor sportsman who wouldn't wish them luck, and I'm looking forward to following the Euros at least it should be some real football, now the Premiership is finished for another season... :)
"Drain all the water off this planet and we are all sharing the same piece of ground"

Evgenios83
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Evgenios83 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:35 pm

Wayne Rooney gets a lot of stick but lets face it he is an inspiration to many players in the England squad and he has a great deal of experience at the top level, for those that question his place in the squad, lets consider the fact he has been the captain through most of qualification and has done well, people question his performance levels in big tournaments but he has a lot of big game experience at club and international level so he should be there, yes

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu May 26, 2016 7:41 am

It seems members are split on the Rooney starting question, i am as well.

He is really in the old guard of England where many of the team are up and coming. You could argue we need an older wiser head but not sure he is it or has that wise head.

He is 2/9 to start against Russia.

The betting on who to start has the following players at odds on with Betfred, all other players with them are odds against.

Hart
Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose
Dier Henderson Sterling
Kane Ali Rooney