Euro 2016 Group E Betting Discussion

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Euro 2016 Group E Betting Discussion

Postby nors » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Euro 2016 Group E Discussion and helpful info.

Group E
Belgium
Italy
Ireland
Sweden

Decimal Odds From bet365
Belgium 2
Italy 2.63
Sweden 7
Republic Of Ireland 13

MONDAY 13TH JUNE

R. of Ireland vSweden
BBC TV

MONDAY 13TH JUNE

Belgium v Italy
BBC TV

FRIDAY 17TH JUNE

Italy v Sweden
ITV

SATURDAY 18TH JUNE

Belgium v R. of Ireland
ITV

WEDNESDAY 22ND JUNE

Italy v R. of Ireland
ITV

WEDNESDAY 22ND JUNE

Sweden v Belgium
ITV

We want to read about your best bets, angles, stats, what value you can find in the betting markets. No one can cover everything so please help by adding your skilled betting insight on the Groups and individual matches.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:46 am

Belgium are the longest priced favs out of all the groups at a best price currently of 5/4.( SkyBet) The reason being because of Italy being in the same group. Italy are a best price 7/4. Sweden are 13/2 and the Republic Of Ireland 12/1.

Belgium are 12/1 to win the Euros and Italy 16/1 to win it.

Should Belgium be taken on to not win the group?

Cabrera88
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Cabrera88 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:22 am

Well i think that Belgium will win this group, they recently won against Italy a friendly game and Italy is clearly in trouble with no victory since the qualies ended and with 10 goals conceded in 4 games.
Belgium can reach at least QF in this tournament, their team is amazing and now after the QF at World Cup we can expect to perform much better.
Sweden and Ireland are clearly at a lower level, Sweden finished on 3rd place in a pretty easy group in qualies and Zlatan soon will be at 35 years old, while Ireland have nobody to step up and in a competition like this one it's very difficult to keep up only with teamwork.
Belgium have all of them, they have amazing players in all roles, they have a good teamwork and they have at least two players who can step up and win a game if the things are not going well.

master04
2yo
Tips

ITALY Is Favorite

Postby master04 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:56 am

Well In my opinion ITALY is the favorite team for Euro 2016. I have read on many forums that talk about belgium and italy but I will favor Italy and I was reading a very useful blog post about it on this website. I normally check matches for ITALY teams from the below platform because they have a very simple and easy template

https://www.hityah.com/sports/soccer/it ... 7-01-2016/
Last edited by master04 on Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ferdinandos
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Ferdinandos » Sun May 01, 2016 1:19 pm

I do think Belgium is overrated at the moment. Some consider them as one of the favorites to win the tournament also here in Belgium the believe is high that they have a good chance.
Hazard isn't in form, even though he haven't really been decisive for the Belgian team. Lukaku is in fine form, but isn't used to his full capabilities in the current style of play which lacks some depth. In the defense, Kompany has been struggling with injuries all season.
They are however the clear favorites to win this group I think. They beat Italy in the friendly back in October and the Azzurri haven't won a single game since then. De Bruyne shows his fine form at Man. City and Alderweireld showed he is well capable of replacing Kompany (although he is mostly used as a right back since we lack quality on that position). Ferreira Carrasco has shown some great stuff at Atletico.
Still this squad haven't really shown any great accomplishments in the last years. They were lucky at the draw for both the qualifiers and the final stages of both the World Cup and this European Championship.
They had a Bosnian team who had their best days well behind them and Wales as their main contenders in this qualifying stage.
At the World cup they got through an easy group, had trouble beating the USA and had no real chance of progressing against Argentina.
They should progress to the final stages, but for me teams like England, France, Spain or Germany are a level above them at this moment purely based on overall quality. Teams like Croatia, Portugal or Austria can also be a threat.

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Tue May 10, 2016 10:22 am

Italy are a big price for the tournament at 16s. They usually do very well in these major tournaments on European soil :

2012 - finalists despite a run of poor results between qualification and the tournament itself - just like this year, in fact.

2008 - they qualified from a tough group which included Belgium and France, then beaten by Spain on only on penalties, when La Roja were at their peak.

2006 World Cup on European soil in Germany - they were 8-1 before the tournament began and conceded only 2 goals on their way tothe trophy. They had a world class defence back then but the current one isn't too bad either

Belgium have lost Kompany through injury and although Vertonghen and Alderweireld have formed a good partnership at Spurs, they've both had long seasons and suffered the anguish of losing the title to Leicester. Hazard, Benteke, are a few others who would have preferred to take much better form with them to France and their squad lacks the experience and pedigree in big tournaments of the Italians

France look strong and have the best squad ( or certainly the strongest XI, in my opinion ) but Italy could represent value at 16s.

Etlevi
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Etlevi » Fri May 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Not long ago I recall Belgium topped the offical FIFA standings and their run in the World Cup was quite good. I see Belgium as the favourite in this group since their lineups is a rich one. As for Italy they lack the offensive elements and that is pretty obvious.

Perhaps Conte of Italy will put his trust on the youngsters but that id no guarantee, and as usual Italy are likely to play their characteristic defensive game. Either way that wont be enough.

Sweden secured their spot in the play off and their Captain, the mighty Ibrahimovic has seen a brilliant form this year. Chances are they put some difficulties upon the others.

And last but not least Ireland, which is underestimated might cause surprises in this group. They really proved a solid team in the eleminatory stage and I would expect some upsets from them.

Ferdinandos
Listed Class
Tips

Belgian squad selection

Postby Ferdinandos » Sat May 14, 2016 12:55 pm

This Thursday, the Belgian squad for Euro 2016 has been announced by our coach Marc Wilmots. 24 players have been selected with one of them not making the final selection. 7 players are also listed in case of injuries, I will not discuss them here unless they make the final selection later on.

Goalkeepers
Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea)
Courtois is our first choice in goal. He was the youngest keeper to ever play in the national team and still a great talent. He played 22 games for Chelsea this season in the league and is for me one of the best keepers in the world and maybe the best keeper in a few years.
Simon Mignolet (Liverpool)
Also a very good keeper with great reflexes. He is often criticised at Liverpool, even though his stats have been great. He sometimes looks a bit shaky in the air, but I think he is a solid keeper overall. It has been a battle between him and Courtois for place in the goal, but since Wilmots has taken over the team, it has been clear that Mignolet is second choice.
Jean-François Gillet (KV Mechelen)
A lot of people still question why Gillet keeps getting selected for the national team. He had a good record in Italy, but never played in a top team. He now plays back home in Belgium at KV Mechelen, a mid-table team. He is rather inconsistent and he made some big mistakes this season after a great start. Some say he gets selected because of his experience and leadership, but Wilmots denies that. I think that giving a young talent a chance to share this experience is a better idea. Keepers like Matz Sels or Silvio Proto are also better choice in my opinion.

Defenders
Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham)
Alderweireld had a great season at Tottenham where he played every single game in the centre of the defence together with Vertonghen. In the national team he usually plays at the right back. The lack of quality in this squad at the full-backs is a real problem. Alderweireld does a great job in that position though. He has been nominated for the Barclays Premier League Player of the Season and some say he should be playing in the centre. Personally I don’t think that’s a good idea considering the lack of qualitative replacements on the wings.
Dedryck Boyata (Celtic Glasgow)
Currently injured and brought into the selection as an option to replace Kompany. Even though he played a lot of games at Celtic, I have seen some laughter in Scotland about his selection. He is a talented player, but made the wrong choice to go to Man. City in 2013. He played only 48 minutes in the national team and is the most likely player not to make the final selection.
Jason Denayer (Galatasaray)
Another player who couldn’t break through in Manchester. He went to Celtic as well on loan in the summer of 2014 and played 44 games. This season he went to Galatasaray on loan and played 21 league games. He looks like the main option to replace Kompany. He is also strong, quick and still has a lot of growth potential. He played in 5 games with the national team and I feel like he indeed has the talent but has nowhere near the qualities of Kompany at the moment. Against Real in this year’s Champions League he was overrun several times and Galatasaray has been terrible in the domestic league as well. However, he could be the player to really make it true this tournament and maybe he will get his chance at City as well.
Bjorn Engels (Club Brugge)
The young central defender is in great form in the Belgian play-offs. He is a tall, 21 year old player from the current league leaders Club Brugge. Just like the other players from the Belgian competition I see very little chances for him to actually play regularly in the national team. He is only a certitude in the Brugge squad for about 3 years and struggled with an injury during the largest part of the second season. He just isn’t ready for this level of play.
Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit Sint-Petersburg)
Lombaerts normally is the first choice in the central defence. He is one of the key players in the Russian team for years now and since the retirement of Van Buyten he has also been important for the national team. He now also is injured for about 2 weeks and could also be replaced by Vermaelen.
Jordan Lukaku (KV Oostende)
The young brother of Romelu is a rather small (177 cm) left back playing at Oostende. He is fast and very attacking minded. Defensively however, he ends up short. The fact that he was sold by Anderlecht to Oostende says it all, Jordan isn’t a player to perform at the highest level. However, with some defensive support from the midfield, Lukaku could prove to be a real weapon offensively. He played only one game in the qualifiers (against Andorra) but also wrote a bit of history by giving the assist to his brother in the recent friendly against Portugal.
Thomas Meunier (Club Brugge)
Another talented, young full-back playing in Belgium. Just like Lukaku, he is strong offensively, but for me his positional play isn’t good enough. Wilmots prefers strong backs, also on the wings so it’s unlikely that he will get a lot of opportunities at the Euro 2016. He played 5 games for the national team, but only 2 in the qualifiers (against Andorra and Israel). He looks like leaving Brugge at the end of this season.
Thomas Vermaelen (FC Barcelona)
Another Belgian defender with a lot of injury problems. He had some great seasons with Arsenal, but went to Barcelona where he played only 11 games the past 2 seasons. This lack of rhythm could be a real issue. He can play in the centre or the left-back. Wilmots said that he might be the main competitor of Lombaerts in the team and would be used solely as a central defender. Also in the qualifiers he only played 2 games, so Lombaerts on the left centre of the defence is the most likely option.
Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham)
He had a great season next to Alderweireld in the centre of the Tottenham defence. Due to a knee injury he missed some games the past few months, but looks completely fit at the moment. As said earlier, he normally plays as a left-back for the national team. He should be playing every game in France.

Midfielders
Mousa Dembélé (Tottenham)
A remarkable comment of Wilmots, who said that Dembélé is an option on the right-back. He certainly is a versatile player, but I’d like to see him play in a more attacking position… He played 29 games for Tottenham this season but played only 20 minutes for the national team this season. He isn’t sure of his place in this team and is more like a player who they can use if they need to chance their play-style. He can use his excellent ball-control and passing. Some want him to play in the midfield in front of a strong midfielder like Nainggolan or Witsel to give some attacking impulses from the sometimes very slow playing midfield.
Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United)
Fellaini didn’t have his best of seasons at Manchester. He played 18 games and was often criticised for his hard play style. He is however a player with power and has some excellent heading skills. He has made some important goals for the Belgian team and also for United. He played 8 games in the qualifiers and also in Brazil he played a lot. As I discussed before, Dembélé could also take up the role in the midfield to create some more speed instead of physical strength.
Radja Nainggolan (AS Roma)
Nainggolan plays in Italy for a long time now and has become a very important player in Rome. He was not selected for the World Cup, but now played 9 qualifying games and became a key player for the national team as well. He is a real warrior in the defensive midfield and is the player who connects the defence with the attack. He doesn’t have the technical abilities of players like De Bruyne or Hazard, but is just as solid in his passing. Chelsea wanted to buy him, but it seems like he is staying in Italy. It looks like he will play practically every game in France.
Axel Witsel (Zenit Sint-Petersburg)
Just like Lombaerts, Witsel is a key player in the Zenit squad. He played 28 games this season and also played 8 games in the qualifiers. At the national team he gets a more defensive and playmaking role in which he often struggles to play at his best. It is pretty logical though that, with all the offensive players, Wilmots wants more balance in his team. However, he is often criticized for slowing the play down. Witsel played as a right-back at Benfica before, Wilmots considered that as an option as well…

Attackers
Michy Batshuayi (Marseille)
The 22 year old attacker was one of the surprises in the selection, since Wilmots claimed that he would only select 2 real strikers. He had a great season at Marseille where he scored 17 goals in his 36 games played. He certainly knows how to score a goal, which he showed at his first game for the national team, scoring a goal in the 13 minutes he played against Cyprus. At this moment, he is perhaps even the most in-form striker in this squad and will most probable leave Marseille this summer. However, he is not used of playing in the 4-3-2-1 system Wilmots applies where the striker is rather used to lure defenders away and hold the ball for the wingers, rather than being a target man (which Batshuayi is).
Christian Benteke (Liverpool)
Perhaps the player who fits the role Wilmots expects from the striker in this national team the best. He was very important for Aston Villa, but his season at Liverpool haven’t been the best. He played 28 games this season, but started only 13 times. He is a strong, tall player who can hold a ball and play in function of the team. Despite him playing about only 2/3 of the minutes he averagely played at Aston Villa, he still managed to score 9 goals. I think he will be applied as a ‘super-sub’ in the national team as well.
Yannick Carrasco (Atlético Madrid)
Ferreira Carrasco has been in great form this season. After his transfer from Monaco, most people expected that it would take some time to adjust. But he has been working hard, is much tougher now and played 28 games this season. He started in 16 of them and also played a key role in the success of Atletico in the Champions League. He is fast, has a good dribble and in his current form he should be in the team on the right wing. He played only 4 games for the national team and started in only one of them, but you can’t ignore a Champions League finalist.
Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
As important Kompany has proven to be for the City defence in the past seasons, De Bruyne has been making a huge difference in their attacking display. After his injury he immediately showed his class and talent. He destroyed his ex-teams midfield on his own last month. He played on the wings at the Red Devils, but is on his best in a free role behind the striker. However, with Hazard we have another great player who likes to cut through to the middle. They haven’t always played that well together.
Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
There is no doubt that Hazard is a great player, but this season he wasn’t in form. Some say Mourinho had a bad influence on Hazard and he wasn’t allowed to play free like he wanted to. In the past weeks, we saw the old Hazard again. Even though his stats with the national team aren’t that good, he can still bring something extra. There is no doubt that he will play every game with the national team, just like De Bruyne. Most likely he will play on the left and swap positions with De Bruyne and Carrasco (or Mertens).
Romelu Lukaku (Everton)
Lukaku had a great season once again, scoring 18 goals in 36 league games. His team however didn’t. In the national team he has been the first choice, but was substituted very often. He complained about a lack of trust and openly critiqued the style of play with the national team. It is a fact that, in contrary to Everton, the play isn’t adjusted to him. At the national team he is used to keep the ball and give it to the wingers who cut through the middle or make space for them. The lack of movement often frustrates him. That explains why he isn’t scoring that many goals for the national team and shouldn’t be picked as the top scorer of this tournament (just like any Belgian player).
Dries Mertens (Napoli)
Mertens played another decent season at Napoli. He played 32 league games this season and at the national team he is mainly used as some sort of super-sub. Most of the games he starts from the bench. He is quick, can make a good dribble and can score. However, with that much competition up front, I think Carrasco will be the first choice.
Divock Origi (Liverpool)
Origi just got named Player of the Month for April at Liverpool. He made 16 appearances for Liverpool in the league, making 5 goals. At the national team, he was rather unknown when he was selected for the World Cup. He played in every game and made a great impression. His transfer from Lille to Liverpool haven’t been an overall success, also due to injuries. But he is young and still has the time to prove himself. Wilmots doesn’t consider him as a striker, as he can also play on the wings. He is indeed a very complete attacker, with speed and technique and he is also tall. However, he isn’t the guy that scores a lot of goals. I don’t think he will get a key role in this squad. In the qualifiers he played 7 games, but only started in 3 of them.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Belgian squad selection

Postby Micko70 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:09 pm

This Thursday, the Belgian squad for Euro 2016 has been announced by our coach Marc Wilmots. 24 players have been selected with one of them not making the final selection. 7 players are also listed in case of injuries, I will not discuss them here unless they make the final selection later on.

Goalkeepers
Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea)
Courtois is our first choice in goal. He was the youngest keeper to ever play in the national team and still a great talent. He played 22 games for Chelsea this season in the league and is for me one of the best keepers in the world and maybe the best keeper in a few years.
Simon Mignolet (Liverpool)
Also a very good keeper with great reflexes. He is often criticised at Liverpool, even though his stats have been great. He sometimes looks a bit shaky in the air, but I think he is a solid keeper overall. It has been a battle between him and Courtois for place in the goal, but since Wilmots has taken over the team, it has been clear that Mignolet is second choice.
Jean-François Gillet (KV Mechelen)
A lot of people still question why Gillet keeps getting selected for the national team. He had a good record in Italy, but never played in a top team. He now plays back home in Belgium at KV Mechelen, a mid-table team. He is rather inconsistent and he made some big mistakes this season after a great start. Some say he gets selected because of his experience and leadership, but Wilmots denies that. I think that giving a young talent a chance to share this experience is a better idea. Keepers like Matz Sels or Silvio Proto are also better choice in my opinion.

Defenders
Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham)
Alderweireld had a great season at Tottenham where he played every single game in the centre of the defence together with Vertonghen. In the national team he usually plays at the right back. The lack of quality in this squad at the full-backs is a real problem. Alderweireld does a great job in that position though. He has been nominated for the Barclays Premier League Player of the Season and some say he should be playing in the centre. Personally I don’t think that’s a good idea considering the lack of qualitative replacements on the wings.
Dedryck Boyata (Celtic Glasgow)
Currently injured and brought into the selection as an option to replace Kompany. Even though he played a lot of games at Celtic, I have seen some laughter in Scotland about his selection. He is a talented player, but made the wrong choice to go to Man. City in 2013. He played only 48 minutes in the national team and is the most likely player not to make the final selection.
Jason Denayer (Galatasaray)
Another player who couldn’t break through in Manchester. He went to Celtic as well on loan in the summer of 2014 and played 44 games. This season he went to Galatasaray on loan and played 21 league games. He looks like the main option to replace Kompany. He is also strong, quick and still has a lot of growth potential. He played in 5 games with the national team and I feel like he indeed has the talent but has nowhere near the qualities of Kompany at the moment. Against Real in this year’s Champions League he was overrun several times and Galatasaray has been terrible in the domestic league as well. However, he could be the player to really make it true this tournament and maybe he will get his chance at City as well.
Bjorn Engels (Club Brugge)
The young central defender is in great form in the Belgian play-offs. He is a tall, 21 year old player from the current league leaders Club Brugge. Just like the other players from the Belgian competition I see very little chances for him to actually play regularly in the national team. He is only a certitude in the Brugge squad for about 3 years and struggled with an injury during the largest part of the second season. He just isn’t ready for this level of play.
Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit Sint-Petersburg)
Lombaerts normally is the first choice in the central defence. He is one of the key players in the Russian team for years now and since the retirement of Van Buyten he has also been important for the national team. He now also is injured for about 2 weeks and could also be replaced by Vermaelen.
Jordan Lukaku (KV Oostende)
The young brother of Romelu is a rather small (177 cm) left back playing at Oostende. He is fast and very attacking minded. Defensively however, he ends up short. The fact that he was sold by Anderlecht to Oostende says it all, Jordan isn’t a player to perform at the highest level. However, with some defensive support from the midfield, Lukaku could prove to be a real weapon offensively. He played only one game in the qualifiers (against Andorra) but also wrote a bit of history by giving the assist to his brother in the recent friendly against Portugal.
Thomas Meunier (Club Brugge)
Another talented, young full-back playing in Belgium. Just like Lukaku, he is strong offensively, but for me his positional play isn’t good enough. Wilmots prefers strong backs, also on the wings so it’s unlikely that he will get a lot of opportunities at the Euro 2016. He played 5 games for the national team, but only 2 in the qualifiers (against Andorra and Israel). He looks like leaving Brugge at the end of this season.
Thomas Vermaelen (FC Barcelona)
Another Belgian defender with a lot of injury problems. He had some great seasons with Arsenal, but went to Barcelona where he played only 11 games the past 2 seasons. This lack of rhythm could be a real issue. He can play in the centre or the left-back. Wilmots said that he might be the main competitor of Lombaerts in the team and would be used solely as a central defender. Also in the qualifiers he only played 2 games, so Lombaerts on the left centre of the defence is the most likely option.
Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham)
He had a great season next to Alderweireld in the centre of the Tottenham defence. Due to a knee injury he missed some games the past few months, but looks completely fit at the moment. As said earlier, he normally plays as a left-back for the national team. He should be playing every game in France.

Midfielders
Mousa Dembélé (Tottenham)
A remarkable comment of Wilmots, who said that Dembélé is an option on the right-back. He certainly is a versatile player, but I’d like to see him play in a more attacking position… He played 29 games for Tottenham this season but played only 20 minutes for the national team this season. He isn’t sure of his place in this team and is more like a player who they can use if they need to chance their play-style. He can use his excellent ball-control and passing. Some want him to play in the midfield in front of a strong midfielder like Nainggolan or Witsel to give some attacking impulses from the sometimes very slow playing midfield.
Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United)
Fellaini didn’t have his best of seasons at Manchester. He played 18 games and was often criticised for his hard play style. He is however a player with power and has some excellent heading skills. He has made some important goals for the Belgian team and also for United. He played 8 games in the qualifiers and also in Brazil he played a lot. As I discussed before, Dembélé could also take up the role in the midfield to create some more speed instead of physical strength.
Radja Nainggolan (AS Roma)
Nainggolan plays in Italy for a long time now and has become a very important player in Rome. He was not selected for the World Cup, but now played 9 qualifying games and became a key player for the national team as well. He is a real warrior in the defensive midfield and is the player who connects the defence with the attack. He doesn’t have the technical abilities of players like De Bruyne or Hazard, but is just as solid in his passing. Chelsea wanted to buy him, but it seems like he is staying in Italy. It looks like he will play practically every game in France.
Axel Witsel (Zenit Sint-Petersburg)
Just like Lombaerts, Witsel is a key player in the Zenit squad. He played 28 games this season and also played 8 games in the qualifiers. At the national team he gets a more defensive and playmaking role in which he often struggles to play at his best. It is pretty logical though that, with all the offensive players, Wilmots wants more balance in his team. However, he is often criticized for slowing the play down. Witsel played as a right-back at Benfica before, Wilmots considered that as an option as well…

Attackers
Michy Batshuayi (Marseille)
The 22 year old attacker was one of the surprises in the selection, since Wilmots claimed that he would only select 2 real strikers. He had a great season at Marseille where he scored 17 goals in his 36 games played. He certainly knows how to score a goal, which he showed at his first game for the national team, scoring a goal in the 13 minutes he played against Cyprus. At this moment, he is perhaps even the most in-form striker in this squad and will most probable leave Marseille this summer. However, he is not used of playing in the 4-3-2-1 system Wilmots applies where the striker is rather used to lure defenders away and hold the ball for the wingers, rather than being a target man (which Batshuayi is).
Christian Benteke (Liverpool)
Perhaps the player who fits the role Wilmots expects from the striker in this national team the best. He was very important for Aston Villa, but his season at Liverpool haven’t been the best. He played 28 games this season, but started only 13 times. He is a strong, tall player who can hold a ball and play in function of the team. Despite him playing about only 2/3 of the minutes he averagely played at Aston Villa, he still managed to score 9 goals. I think he will be applied as a ‘super-sub’ in the national team as well.
Yannick Carrasco (Atlético Madrid)
Ferreira Carrasco has been in great form this season. After his transfer from Monaco, most people expected that it would take some time to adjust. But he has been working hard, is much tougher now and played 28 games this season. He started in 16 of them and also played a key role in the success of Atletico in the Champions League. He is fast, has a good dribble and in his current form he should be in the team on the right wing. He played only 4 games for the national team and started in only one of them, but you can’t ignore a Champions League finalist.
Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
As important Kompany has proven to be for the City defence in the past seasons, De Bruyne has been making a huge difference in their attacking display. After his injury he immediately showed his class and talent. He destroyed his ex-teams midfield on his own last month. He played on the wings at the Red Devils, but is on his best in a free role behind the striker. However, with Hazard we have another great player who likes to cut through to the middle. They haven’t always played that well together.
Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
There is no doubt that Hazard is a great player, but this season he wasn’t in form. Some say Mourinho had a bad influence on Hazard and he wasn’t allowed to play free like he wanted to. In the past weeks, we saw the old Hazard again. Even though his stats with the national team aren’t that good, he can still bring something extra. There is no doubt that he will play every game with the national team, just like De Bruyne. Most likely he will play on the left and swap positions with De Bruyne and Carrasco (or Mertens).
Romelu Lukaku (Everton)
Lukaku had a great season once again, scoring 18 goals in 36 league games. His team however didn’t. In the national team he has been the first choice, but was substituted very often. He complained about a lack of trust and openly critiqued the style of play with the national team. It is a fact that, in contrary to Everton, the play isn’t adjusted to him. At the national team he is used to keep the ball and give it to the wingers who cut through the middle or make space for them. The lack of movement often frustrates him. That explains why he isn’t scoring that many goals for the national team and shouldn’t be picked as the top scorer of this tournament (just like any Belgian player).
Dries Mertens (Napoli)
Mertens played another decent season at Napoli. He played 32 league games this season and at the national team he is mainly used as some sort of super-sub. Most of the games he starts from the bench. He is quick, can make a good dribble and can score. However, with that much competition up front, I think Carrasco will be the first choice.
Divock Origi (Liverpool)
Origi just got named Player of the Month for April at Liverpool. He made 16 appearances for Liverpool in the league, making 5 goals. At the national team, he was rather unknown when he was selected for the World Cup. He played in every game and made a great impression. His transfer from Lille to Liverpool haven’t been an overall success, also due to injuries. But he is young and still has the time to prove himself. Wilmots doesn’t consider him as a striker, as he can also play on the wings. He is indeed a very complete attacker, with speed and technique and he is also tall. However, he isn’t the guy that scores a lot of goals. I don’t think he will get a key role in this squad. In the qualifiers he played 7 games, but only started in 3 of them.
When copying and pasting from an external source, please state where the original content came from
OLBG Moderator

Ferdinandos
Listed Class
Tips

Re: Belgian squad selection

Postby Ferdinandos » Sat May 14, 2016 6:25 pm

When copying and pasting from an external source, please state where the original content came from
What? I didn't copy and paste anything. I just made an analysis on each player in the squad, gathering information from different sources or just stating general assumptions made in different media.

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:38 am

Great squad preview Ferdinandos!
Euro 2016 -Name The Finalists
Euro 2016 -Poland Preview - 50/1?
Follow me on Twitter - @w2dyer

toby blanker
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby toby blanker » Wed May 18, 2016 9:16 am

I like the dual forecast of Belgium/Italy here.

I've watched Italy few times and don't have the quality they have had in previous tournament in attack but defensively they still have a solid backbone to there team from Juventus. buffon,cheillini,bonnucci,barzagli there wasn't much between England and Italy in friendly I think overall they should have that extra bit of quality to beat Ireland and Sweden from all reports this isnt the best of swedish teams take out ibra and it would be one of worst sides for a while, if anyone can nullify ibra it will be the juve back four for Italy.

Belgium remind me a bit of England in previous years and now plenty of talent but when it comes to the crunch in the latter rounds they will probably come up short but should have more than enough quality from group

Belgium/Italy dual forecast 1-2
5/4