England Squad Selection Betting Odds For Euro 2016

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:28 am

What was members opinion on the Portugal game?

I think Roy Hodgson has 2 systems which you could argue is a good thing or that he is unsure of best system.

The midfield that started against Portugal had a secure but dull look to it, now we are going to need to be dull in some of our games as we need to make sure we do not conceed. However the midfield didnt create much (anything). In the 2nd half more flair players came on (Lallana, Wilshire, Sterling) and we looked good going forward albeit against 10 men and a tiring Portugal.

I don't think Roy is 100% on his starting 11 but as i told him previously, in game 1 i don't think we can play Vardy and Kane. I would add another midfielder and then swap at half time depending on state of game. A draw against Russia is not the end of the world.

Dell Ali needs to realise that there will be international games when things do not go as planned, its the dull work you do that means you don't lose. It cant all be exciting to watch and i felt he got frustrated and faded.

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:29 am

Has Roy done something similar? I personally don't think Henderson or Lallana are better than Drinkwater or Townsend but maybe they'll do a better job for England. Round pegs and all that...The same goes for Rooney, it's obvious he isn't our best player anymore but I'm pretty certain he is part of the 'best team' and likewise goes for James Milner. Playing Cahill in front of Stones would be something along the lines of that too but if he plays Wilshere he certainly isn't sticking to that formula.
Can't envisage any scenario where Milner is part of our 'best team'.

Townsend offers width and goals. What do Delph/Lallana offer?
UEFA Player Rankings make Milner the midfielder at Euro 2016! Now that is ludicrous but he must be doing something right.
Euro 2016 -Name The Finalists
Euro 2016 -Poland Preview - 50/1?
Follow me on Twitter - @w2dyer

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:34 am

What was members opinion on the Portugal game?

I think Roy Hodgson has 2 systems which you could argue is a good thing or that he is unsure of best system.

The midfield that started against Portugal had a secure but dull look to it, now we are going to need to be dull in some of our games as we need to make sure we do not conceed. However the midfield didnt create much (anything). In the 2nd half more flair players came on (Lallana, Wilshire, Sterling) and we looked good going forward albeit against 10 men and a tiring Portugal.

I don't think Roy is 100% on his starting 11 but as i told him previously, in game 1 i don't think we can play Vardy and Kane. I would add another midfielder and then swap at half time depending on state of game. A draw against Russia is not the end of the world.

Dell Ali needs to realise that there will be international games when things do not go as planned, its the dull work you do that means you don't lose. It cant all be exciting to watch and i felt he got frustrated and faded.
I went to the game and I thought it was fairly dull but there was a brilliant 82,000 turn out which made up for that. Not that it was particularly loud though! The Portuguese fans were good.

The Bruno Alves red card was disappointing from our perspective. I would have liked to play 11 v 11 because whilst they weren't totally out of the game it did mean that they sat back and let us take the initiative which is too much what we are already used to with the low calibre teams from our qualifying group.

I liked Rose and Walker. I'd start them over Clyne and Bertrand now. I think Vardy should be left out unless starting in a proper 4-4-2 as a striker or as a sub for Kane in a 4-2-3-1 kind of formation. He's got pace but he's wasted on the wing.
Euro 2016 -Name The Finalists
Euro 2016 -Poland Preview - 50/1?
Follow me on Twitter - @w2dyer

ibfm23
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby ibfm23 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Vardy is an impact striker. I think he needs to start off the bench, at least at the beginning with Kane and Rooney's experience. He'll be great coming on in any situation. If we're up, then he can counter. If we're down then he can be an extra weapon.

I agree with your take on the full backs but all four are good enough. Pity we don't have the same kind of abundance at center back!

In terms of midfield, Roy needs to mix it up but definitely start off with a protective element, can't afford to start on the back foot!!!

ibfm23
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby ibfm23 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 am

Here we go again!! Drama time for the Three Lions. I am really disappointed at this Vardy saga on the eve of the tourney. It shows lack of respect in my opinion and may destabilize him and and the whole camp.

What do you guys think?

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:41 am

The problem for England is, and has been for some time, patience. Patience is the mother of composure and that will win you big tournaments time after time.
The English media will demand and expect a comfortable win in the opening game but we should be cautious, allow a defence lacking tournament experience a half of football to find their feet.
I would start with Milner / Dier, Wilshere and Henderson in centre midfield and ask them to be disciplined. Press but only in our half. Facilitate the progress of the fullbacks into the attack, get Wilshere to get forward when the opposition are pressed back and expect all three to look for Vardy on the counter and have him play as he does for Leicester - free to play along the front line, on the shoulder of the defenders and commit them. Kane as a target man ( Sturridge can be used later in the tournament )
Rooney will play but he cannot force the other two forwards wide as he did against Portugal - we might as well play with ten men if that happens.

Have a strong first 45 minutes. Don't dive in, don't go gegenpressing and leave ourselves exposed. Allow the defence to grow in confidence and use those already brimming with it - Vardy and Kane - to play their own game

However, I think Hodgson might get the balance wrong, allow Rooney too much rope and find that we don't retain possession well enough and chase the ball for long periods.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Here we go again!! Drama time for the Three Lions. I am really disappointed at this Vardy saga on the eve of the tourney. It shows lack of respect in my opinion and may destabilize him and and the whole camp.

What do you guys think?
It may well destabilize him but if the rest of the camp let it get to them then it's ridiculous as it doesn't even concern any of them.

As for lack of respect, club football doesn't stop just because there's an international tournament going on.

If anything, Arsenal have to act now as interest in Vardy would only increase should he be one of the player's of the tournament.

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Doesn't matter if his value increases during the tournament due to the CL release clause in his contract

ibfm23
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby ibfm23 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:32 pm

What do you guys think?
It may well destabilize him but if the rest of the camp let it get to them then it's ridiculous as it doesn't even concern any of them.

As for lack of respect, club football doesn't stop just because there's an international tournament going on.

If anything, Arsenal have to act now as interest in Vardy would only increase should he be one of the player's of the tournament.
I see your point but as I team player I would want as much harmony as possible.

Yes true, it doesn't stop and I don't have an answer or solution for that.

It just irks me...

KanKeano
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby KanKeano » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm just laughing that Arsenal are buying him. Struggling to see how he fits in Arsenal's scheme and it's a massive price for a player that has had one good season and is 29.

Others will think differently but I dont get it.

Good for Fleetwood Town though as they are due to receive a big cut of the transfer fee.
OLBG Moderator

Twitter | KanKeano_OLBG

Owner of KanKeano Bears | SUPERBOLBG
AFC Conference Champions Season 5
AFC South Champions Season 3, 4 & 5

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:52 am

KanKeano i agree, it does seem a strange move for Arsene Wenger to make, although he Wenger does have form on this buying players who dont seem to fit (Silvestre, Jeffers)

There may be more to it than meets the eye.

E.G We bid for Vardy and then in negotiations with other players agents we say " We are close to signing Vardy form Leicester" so its either Vardy or xxx then maybe the player we are really after and his agent get a shift on and lower demands?

Walcott is surely on his way out of Arsenal.