13%
No
87%

Total votes: 155
rogue1
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby rogue1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:23 pm

It's a second income for me. Lets me have all the fine things in life. I bet on horses every now and again when I hear about a worthwhile one. I bet alot on football, rugby, and other team sports. I never do multiples. Dangerous and have seen so many people have one selection cost them the bet. Only ever do singles but bet a fair bit. For example someone will pace a multiple bet and stake just £5 to possibly get £50 back. I'll just choose one selection who I think is more or less guaranteed to win and work on what I aim to profit. Rarely loose this way.

stevie79
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby stevie79 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:11 pm

My sole income is not from gambling, but I do earn a fair bit from it. It's like a second wage to me. What got me into it in the first place was the rise in the budget. Everything's so expensive these days that I needed extra money, so I got studying certain areas of betting. I do horses to a certain extent, alot of football and rugby. I have bought many systems in my time and now have a few i swear by.

Roger Green
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Roger Green » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Long standing members know I make my living from gambling and have done for 30 years....everyone who gambles or who is thinking of doing so, should read Tappets superb posting on this thread. After you have read it, read it again. It is sound advice IMO. Good Luck

davidmoyes
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby davidmoyes » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Right now, as I am unemployed, minus benefits and all that I earn my money gambling. When I have a job however it becomes a hobby.
All of us have bad luck and good luck. The man who persists through the bad luck - who keeps right on going - is the man who is there when the good luck comes - and is ready to receive it. Robert Collier

rogue1
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby rogue1 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:14 pm

The way things are going I could be onto a real money spinner with a few systems I've worked out for myself. They both seem to be fool proof at the moment. Who knows, only time will tell. Would love to give up work :D
Why back when you can lay. Far more easier to win and make a profit this way.

Betfair I love you!

OlbgDeleted25276
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby OlbgDeleted25276 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Dont rely on gambling to pay the bills,its just enjoyment for me.I ve been betting for years on various sports,and love it.One thing i will say i have good self discipline,and know when to stop,im not a big gambler but wins are quite frequent its learning to balance them with the losses,and keeping a level head i can understand how people get carried away with the buzz.I would love to make a living out of it but im sensible enough to know it would never happen.
I have however learnt a lot from olbg and its members which i have put into my weekly bets,i believe if there are people who know more than you willing to put their experience and time into posts take heed and carry that forward you will notice an improvement.
Dont get disheartened if your bet doesnt win we cant win all the time,and never chase your losses.Happy Gambling :hope:

mrlucky
2yo
Tips

Postby mrlucky » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:20 am

Absolutely, I gave up work some 3 years ago and have not looked back since. Yes I put the hours in and have to have people 'put on' for me but as an accountant I would never have been able to earn what I make now. June has been my worst month in the past year yet it still looks like I will come out on top. I crunch numbers for an hour or so every morning and then it takes a couple of hours getting on in the shops, had countless online accounts shut down.

Advice:

Never have a bet for the sake of it.
Stick with what you know is right if the results go against you.
If you stick to rule 1 you will never chase a loss anyway, but NEVER chase.
This one may sound perverse, but not watching the events you are betting on will help you become detatched are more disciplined.

Get the selections right and the results will look after themslelves.

The Shark
Stallion
Tips

Postby The Shark » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks mrlucky

completely agree with the last one!

I went through a phase a year or so ago when I found myself making some poor bets and yes even chasing :x

I went around 6 months or so not watching the events I was betting on live and that really helped - I cant remember the last time I put a chasing style bet on.

So I agree with mrlucky - anyone who ever suffers from that horrible deasease of chasing - stop watching the events live. Sure its not as much "fun" but those losing bets when you chase arent fun either!

turfline
Stallion
Tips

Postby turfline » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:57 pm

I was Lucky to be introduced to a racing set of people at the age of 14 not realising how lucky i was to meet them until years later who taught me the fundimentals of betting who of those people included bookmakers, and owners who owned the likes of Charlottown a Derby winner, the Chief magistrate of the area to a liking to me, he was in his 80's and my boss at the time was a very good freind of the owner of the Cambrigdeshire winner Hasty Cloud, in those days as a teenager i would get in his green jaguar and spend hours going through the Sporting Life while going to the race course, most of these people i meet were through family connections, meeting Stan Smith who new Phil bull of Timeform well many years ago, god bless him, was a blessing in disguise he taught me all about handicaping and i am still learning, but with all this knowledge it is not easy as some of the excellent posts made on this thread to make money you cannot take your eye of the ball for 1 minute, one thing i will pass on that all punters should be aware of managing your losing runs is more important than managing your winning runs the winning ones will look after themselves.
And just to add your Math's is so important as posted on this thread it is math's math's.

yoyoleo
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby yoyoleo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:40 am

have been gambling for many years and would do quite well but lack of discipline cost me dearly in the 90's so had a long break and got back involved in 2000.has been going well but i've found that i can make money through the nh season but would lose it through the summer months betting on the flat...and lack of discipline reared its ugly head again a few months back(may) where 3 short head reversals in one day cost me a pot that i had built up over 3 months from £50(over 4 figures),since then i've been ignoring racing apart from keeping track of the results,today i'll be having my first bet(yes i bet now,i dont gamble)since royal ascot and will not bet on the flat anymore as for me its a minefield,so for me i've found that it's best to stick to your strengths and dont bet just for the sake of a bit of fun...and no im not good enough to bet for a living and im not sure i could cope under the pressure...but have plenty of respect for those brave enough to take the plunge.
best wishes one and all. :cool:
long run king george gold cup double 2012...11/2 :D

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants-issac newton

roy1968
2yo
Tips

Postby roy1968 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:51 pm

I gambled with little success for 20 years. I was introduced to the murky world of tipsters by a friend. Since then i have made enough to pay off the mortgage and the wife has given up work. I use 4 tipsters ( 3 horses 1 football) and make money that i didn't know it was possible to make. It really makes driving a taxi much more bearable knowing you don't have to worry too much about that £5 runner at 3 in the morning

The Shark
Stallion
Tips

Postby The Shark » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:00 pm

interesting roy - thanks for your post

Do you pay for these tipsters?