Poor development of technical skills
7%

Total votes: 150
sergiu23
2yo
Tips

because or the selected team

Postby sergiu23 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44 pm

thay had made a very bad team with Croatia, at 3-2 when they needed counter-attack strikers they played Crouch who runs like a girl :) :lol:

turfline
Stallion
Tips

Postby turfline » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:17 pm

What sort of message does it send out to our young up and coming potential footballer's of the future when you see a hoast of so called premiership stars booed every time they touched the ball on saturday/sunday who played in that england/ croatia game? are they over payed , why do they need to have these so called wags with them most of the time, it's questions that are on this forum and those that i have just asked that people would liked answered,is it a culturual problem that we think we only have to turn up that we have these bloated ego's and this is the home of football so be honoured to be on the same pitch as us,what i do now is what all of us saw when watching the game they could not step up to the mark and do the buisness, very poor indeed in all departments.

thetitan
At Stud
Tips

Postby thetitan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:28 pm

Should be a salary cap really, if you're on 50 grand plus per week you havent got much else to live or play for really. Obviously doesnt apply to everybody...likes of Gerrard and Terry clearly do try their best, but players like Wayne Bridge, Carrick...playing for top teams but not even featuring in most matches - they're basically getting paid to do nothing!

Those are the ones really living the dream. :lol:

jeremiah catskill
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby jeremiah catskill » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:31 am

Sorry to cross swords with anybody here BUT

Its a nonsense that it matters what salaries are earned by these players. I really don't buy for one minute that people playing for England don't care & don't try. You can't have it both ways - you say that half the problem is because there are to many foreigners here chasing the money & squeezing out the English "talent" yet these same speople are earning just as much as the English & there are no accusations of not trying because they get paid fortunes.

The problems are - the style of football which is stamped on our foreheads from an early age & the manger was NOT VERY GOOD.

Their has been a bit of a kneejerk reaction as well. I know we didn't deserve to go through but for the odd goal in 5 we would be sitting pretty , going to Austria & not having these arguments
Last edited by jeremiah catskill on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter @jcatskill

brewster39
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby brewster39 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:43 pm

Rob Green says that video games are to blame. I read an article in the Telegraph today that said the kids should be out playing football not indoors playing computer games...
brewsty39

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:24 pm

Mclaren was right when he said there would no WAGS at the EURO finals, shame he included the players in that :lol: :(
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

BoozyBeggar
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby BoozyBeggar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:45 am

thetitan wrote:
if you're on 50 grand plus per week you havent got much else to live or play for really
This completely describes some well-paid sport players - Gary Charles and Ricky Williams (NFL), both substance abusers, spring to mind. To a much smaller extent, it describes all sport players and all people - if you're financially comfortable, your will to succeed decreases.

jeremiah catskill wrote:
Its a nonsense that it matters what salaries are earned by these players. I really don't buy for one minute that people playing for England don't care & don't try.
This applies more widely. After a fifty yard sprint up the touchline, lungs burning, Ryan Giggs and Joe Cole aren't thinking "I'm in pain, but that's OK, because I just earned a few hundred quid", they're thinking, "Half a minute to recover, and I'll do the same again, because I want to to be on the winning team."

bluemal
Legend
Tips

Postby bluemal » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:06 pm

maybe if you stop believing you've got great english players that play in the premiership its the foriegn players that make the league you have a handful of good english players only,
also stop believing you are world beaters the only reason you won a world cup was home advantage and dodge officials over 40 years ago,
get back into the real world

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 pm

Has someone upset you Bluemal? :lol:
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

KanKeano
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby KanKeano » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:04 pm

maybe if you stop believing you've got great english players that play in the premiership its the foriegn players that make the league you have a handful of good english players only,
also stop believing you are world beaters the only reason you won a world cup was home advantage and dodge officials over 40 years ago,
get back into the real world
It seems to be a graveyard for Scottish players as well! :kiss: :?
OLBG Moderator

Twitter | KanKeano_OLBG

Owner of KanKeano Bears | SUPERBOLBG
AFC Conference Champions Season 5
AFC South Champions Season 3, 4 & 5

plainone
Group 2 Class
Tips

England

Postby plainone » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:54 pm

well i know im quite late in saying this but i think we were unlucky not to qualify, but in saying that we defo should of qualified!! The Croatia game was hard to take and some of the performances were just not good enough! Come summer i will be watching no football i cant stomach the great time i could be having.

topnotch
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby topnotch » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 am

quite interesting in reading back through this thread. the truth is though that all players were and are capable. but england has a culture of expected failure which breeds a self fulfilling prophecy (we are expected to be world beaters, whereas for example scotland are quite content to be the plucky underdog internationally). it is easier to lose with pride than 'shame', which is connected to every england loss. brian clough (only english manager to retain the european cup) has a famous rant about the babble on tactics, and the reality of the players on the field who truly are responsible. all of our players physically are as good as anyone. the truth is pychological.

this whole failure to qualify had triggered a massive over-reaction, by the media who shock horror is the sole perpetrator of the myth of supposed superiority in the first place. english international players aren't technically sound?!? do me a favour. the scots both domestically (eg in glasgow on a european night) and internationally roar their sides on to glory win lose or draw. the players have an extra yard of pace and you can see it physically. what do the engerland fans do? boo a bad pass, boo a player etc after being flooded with mindless tripe from the papers. believe the hype good and bad. surprise surprise our boys bottle it. i bet they turn up with pride, but end up playing on their nerves, dreading playing with responsibility. i could understand if we were brazil and failed to qualify.

a mainstream head sports writer said a bit back that better press access to the players would help remove some of the fear from the players about being savaged or blamed and given negative coverage. what tripe, the press should just jog on and report the facts. not give silly opinions in a sport they have no actual credible experience in. because they are kept at arm's length they write rubbish and try and ridicule. look at why scolari refused the england job, too much press intrusion. we ended up with mclaren, oh dear. so the press printed the back pages branding him a chicken to cover their own backs. hhmmm...well done!?!?! that last point sums it all up.
top rugby tipster april 2007