How do you stay disciplined with online betting?

smithy90
Classic Winner
Tips

How do you stay disciplined with online betting?

Postby smithy90 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:51 pm

For the last 2 months i have been betting in high street bookmakers. Up until 2 months ago I always had bet on-line, but six bad weeks towards the end of last year where I lost over £*** in total made me think what i was doing. A mixture of boredom and not thinking about what i was doing made me lose £*** in six weeks.

I have been betting for around 4 years now and always stuck to £** a weekend on football bets. But out of nowhere I chased a bet that would have won me around £*** from a £* bet, it was a bad beat and i kept depositing and just went on the worse run i ever have been on, my biggest deposit was £*** chasing, and i just didnt think what i was doing till it was too late.

I have now quit all on line betting and self excluded myself from sites. I have been sticking to my £** a week betting in high street bookmakers and I have had a couple of winners, i have kept track of my betting and i am £** down. In 2 months being £** down I feel like i am winning, might sound strange but after losing £**** in six weeks on line i feel that i can take my time more and dont have the constant urge of betting on my phone etc, when im betting online i dont see it as real money, i would never put £*** on a bet in a bookies like i easily did on line.

What i have noticed however is the really bad odds being offered on high street bookies compared to online, I placed a 5-fold this weekend just gone which i won, I checked the odds on line before i placed it and it would have won me £** however placing it on the high road just won me £**, the difference of £** might not sound much but that is almost a 20% difference in winnings, which will add up the more winners i find.

I want to bet online as the odds are much better and it is easier to place bets however im worried about having another bad run due to me chasing and showing lack of discipline. Any advice? How do you stay disciplined on line or should i just stick to the high street bookies?

DOCKYSHER007
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby DOCKYSHER007 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Odds in shops are usually poorer and you cant bet as easy obviously so u will miss out on a lot if u play in-play bets, this depending on how far away u live from bookie shops.
But betting in shops is also a more social environment and I find it a lot more fun when placing bets, u get to meet and talk with fellow punters more.
I only bet in shops and not online, IMO it much easier to stay disciplined when betting in shops and I think you should stick to just betting in shops as it seems to be working for you and you wont get the urge to chase your loses as much.
Thats just my opinion, good luck in what ever u decide to do.
:win: :win:

smithy90
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby smithy90 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Odds in shops are usually poorer and you cant bet as easy obviously so u will miss out on a lot if u play in-play bets, this depending on how far away u live from bookie shops.
But betting in shops is also a more social environment and I find it a lot more fun when placing bets, u get to meet and talk with fellow punters more.
I only bet in shops and not online, IMO it much easier to stay disciplined when betting in shops and I think you should stick to just betting in shops as it seems to be working for you and you wont get the urge to chase your loses as much.
Thats just my opinion, good luck in what ever u decide to do.
:win: :win:
It does sound like the sensible option, I dont have the stress of chasing money or the temptation of betting most of my day like i do with on line betting. The odds are a lot worse, but if it keeps me disciplined then i suppose it makes up for it.

smithy90
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby smithy90 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:25 pm

I just cant do online betting. Realised i hadnt blocked Betfair so deposited £** lost then £** lost. I lost £** in 2 months sticking to high street bookies, go online for hour and lose £**, theres just too much to bet on and too easy to have access to it online, ive now blocked Betfair.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 pm

Smithy90

I have edited 2 of your posts

Please do not post Monetary amounts on OLBG, regardless of how big or how little

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:38 am

Smithy, please forgive the bluntness of my reply but I strongly recommend you give up betting, and contact GamCare for help in doing so. In the past you've asked similar questions on OLBG about discipline in betting, some of which I have tried to answer as best I can for you, but it won't matter how much advice is given on methods of being more disciplined if a person is unable to implement them.

As you said yourself, you realised Betfair wasn't blocked. Your decision upon finding that out SHOULD have been to block Betfair, but instead you deposited and lost money before blocking them. You were unable to do the disciplined thing that would benefit you the most. That alone tells me that you are unable to make disciplined decisions.

I say this as a person with over 30 years experience both as a betting shop manager and as a punter. I've seen the signs, in many people, and been unable to even say anything to anyone because as a betting shop manager I cannot do that. As an individual now I can at least respond with the advice my experience can carry.

Please contact GamCare, take their advice and their help because it will help you.

If nothing else, resort to using OLBG as your 'betting shop'. 'Bet' by tipping on OLBG. YOU CANNOT LOSE in the tipping competitions, and if you do well you might actually win some cash. That's actually what I do now. Since moving to the USA I cannot bet any more. I cans till tip on OLBG, though.
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

smithy90
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby smithy90 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:57 am

I dont think i can give it up full stop, ive been doing well last six weeks but for the online blip the other day, i just cant stay disciplined online, when i bet in a shop i can im in and out in 5 minutes. I am already signed up to GamCare, they help a lot

Gorinci
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Gorinci » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:53 pm

I am sure you can do this, but you need time for this. I hope you will manage this problem

janndud
2yo
Tips

Postby janndud » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:39 am

Trying to give up betting especially when you're devoted to it feels like hell. Denials, then the usual "gambling withdrawal" and then back again. I've been trying to battle it for years and I'm on my gradual recovery.

It's hard, trust me. But trying to limit myself to what I can bet, when I can bet, helped me a lot on solving my problem.

Good luck. :win:

Cricchris
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Cricchris » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Often I have real problems with discipline. In my job I usually have lots of free time infront of a computer/on my phone so I always revert to betting to pass the time.

Ideally I would only bet on something I am watching which is mostly at night or on the weekend. I always lose during the day when passing time but I still cant stop myself from doing it.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 pm

From a practical point of view:

1.If you try and keep records this will focus your mind , a simple spreadsheet or note pad should alert you to these "fun bets".

2.Now many of us are short of time so why not set yourself a rule that unless you have time to study a race or match then leave it alone.

3.Why not set yourself a price threshold so unless it is xxx or bigger you dont bet.

4.Use the fun comps where you don't need cash to satisfy your desire to be proved right.

5.Maybe only have a bet when you have added a comment, the process and research needed to add a comment means you have to have studied the event

6.It is thought that most humans are loss averse so we prefer not losing money to gaining money.
In economics and decision theory, loss aversion refers to people's tendency to strongly prefer avoiding losses to acquiring gains. Most studies suggest that losses are twice as powerful, psychologically, as gains.
So when we lose it affects us deeply, more so than when we gain. So in theory this should make us more careful.

By keeping a record of losses this should make all more careful.

7.Use the loss figure as a screen saver or add the figure to your phone or write it on a pad but have it with you when you bet. You will be surprised at how this focuses you to be more careful.

They say that if you are trying to lose weight that if you put a mirror on your fridge it encourages you to eat less. Try some triggers to sharpen your mind.

8. Make gambling fun and not something that causes issues. Take a break if you think it is not fun.

9.If you need help as others have mentioned the gamcare and gambleaware links are at the bottom of OLBG pages.

Cricchris
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Cricchris » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Yeah thanks all good points. I know what my 2 main issues are. 1. Boredom betting and 2. Chasing losses.

My main aim at reducing these are 1. Keep myself occupied/actually work during work hours :sarcasm: and 2. Take a short break after a loss.