Paying for tips?

shrewsbetter
2yo
Tips

Paying for tips?

Postby shrewsbetter » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:07 pm

What's everyone's experience with it? Has anyone here ever done it? Someone contacted me and offered me 1 weeks tips for £5 or a month for £15. They email the tips daily I'm just unsure whether it is good value for money I've seen his recent tips and he's had some good winners. Also betting strategy? I've only got £100 that I can bet with what are your recommendations on my betting strategy cus if I do singles and one loses I may not have made enough from the other 2 winning to cover that original bet!
I'm really quite new to proper betting and just want some advice

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:23 pm

I think most people are on OLBG because they want a community of knowledgeable sports bettors that can help each other find good bets. It's a give and receive system where you share your expert knowledge and in return you receive expert knowledge from others. I believe the free tips on this site are better than a lot of the tips you would get for paying a tipster. If you have enough time to research your own tips then that is the best option. Personally I paid for a membership with SteelsTips about 3 years ago and I never made any money from it at all, they seem to make money but only because they are staking silly amounts on some bets. The kind of money I would never risk on a sports bet. Another thing I would add is that a tipster that charges is probably just looking at stats (something you could do yourself) whereas people on here combined know a lot more of the minor details about players/teams that often make more difference than the historical stats. Personally I will never be paying for tips again!

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:25 pm

My view is that absolutely not and under no circumstances you PAY for tips or for "fixed games", especially when you got a mail with such offer. You could subscribe to some good sites with stats or a database to help you out with your own betting, but paying somebody else for him to share tips is just ridiculous. It is not helping you in any way to improve as a punter, it is not helping you learn anything and in the end you are not enjoying the games at all.

shrewsbetter
2yo
Tips

Postby shrewsbetter » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Cheers guys. I used to look on the free bets page and picked 5 with over 80% confidence and over 15 bets once a week for about 2 months but I never won anything big! I enjoy betting as it provides an afternoon of enjoyment and the prospect of winning big. I will not be taking up this offer then and will stick to this forum.

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Yeah I guess that's just the nature of sports betting being so unpredictable. I think the best part about OLBG is reading other peoples opinions on games/teams and that allows you to build up a better picture and form your own conclusions. That's how I see it anyway and I've definitely improved since using the forum, reading peoples blogs and playing the competitions! good luck man!

inatimate
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby inatimate » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Is never pay for tips, this is the best site for getting knowledgeable opinions from people, and I have a few sites bookmarked from which I get all the statistical information I need for specific sports. I then use my own systems to pick out my own selections. I couldn\'t pay someone for information as it\'s not 100% guaranteed to win and then I\'d be out of pocket to the tune of the fee, and whatever I stake on the selection(s)

lordlucan
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby lordlucan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:17 pm

I have made that mistake in the past of paying for tips, until I thought if these tipsters were that good, they would be rich enough to not need to share these tips with everyone for a small monthly fee!

ragnarok
Listed Class
Tips

Postby ragnarok » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:51 pm

That is absolutetly absurd to pay for tips. Machines could do that, not people. Even if you treat betting as a way of getting real money, paying for tips is a nonsense. Why would you want to invest more money in something what is always unpredictable. The real risk reduction is very very low and with some knowledge and research you can predict the same in most cases. I would never pay for a tip unless it would be a guy from future.

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:20 pm

ANYONE can set themselves up as a tipster. All you need is a mailing list (which you can buy) and a printer.

Just because a person writes to you, or advertises doesn't mean they know any more or less than the average semi-serious punter. Forget the hype in the blurb about 'inside info', 'our man at the stable' or any other guff like that. Simple fact is if the info is that good, why go to all the trouble of mailing people??. They'll often say they are 'banned', or 'restricted' which is why they 'have to sell to you'.

Hell, I could set myself up as a tipster. I can no longer bet due to being in the USA. So why don't I start up my own tipping service and sell to anyone who is gullible enough to believe me. I could do it right - spend hours studying, try to be fair and honest. But no, I wouldn't do that. 1) I am that honest I'd feel guilty, and 2) I'm probably not that good! :lol:
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

mathsbet
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby mathsbet » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:40 am

That is absolutetly absurd to pay for tips. Machines could do that, not people. Even if you treat betting as a way of getting real money, paying for tips is a nonsense. Why would you want to invest more money in something what is always unpredictable. The real risk reduction is very very low and with some knowledge and research you can predict the same in most cases. I would never pay for a tip unless it would be a guy from future.
Hello. I am from the year 2020 and I come back to help YOU to win the lottery every week for the next five years. All I ask is that you transfer a large sum of money into my account and then I will send you the winning numbers for next weeks draw. Obviously it makes perfect sense to pay me quite a lot of money for these numbers as they are going to make you a millionaire.

Of course, I could play the numbers myself and become a millionaire but I prefer to make money by selling these numbers to you because I am kind like that.

Remapthfc
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Remapthfc » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:34 am

I'm on the other side of the fence here as I do pay for tips.

I love my horse racing but have absolutely no time to delve through the form or the ratings every day and especially for the big meetings.
That said watching racing does allow me to inform my own opinions and choose to bet other selections.

With regards to football though I don't pay for tips but I do pay for software to do a lot of the analysis and historical form for me. I know there are a million websites that do this but it's kinda a validation for me.

My biggest bets this year are from basketball though and these come from an unpaid forum tipster so still not my own work.

I think generally I lack confidence in my our ability to back winners.

balewonder999
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby balewonder999 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:54 am

hi remap

taking it the thfc means your a fellow sufferer

i like your honesty here. Never sure why in a game where making a profit means making money why people are harsh against paying for a good service to win?

If the tipsters not good you can bin him after all.

I guess it looks like cheating to some, but not to me, some people don't have the time or aptitude to win at sports betting and most of us that actually don't do bad have spent years losing to get to that stage.

For me it's just a case of finding good ones that suit your own style.

Hope you have?