I have a very serious problem

Yorksred
Classic Winner
Tips

I have a very serious problem

Postby Yorksred » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:05 pm

As the saying goes's " It's good to talk", so here is my story about my gambling problems.

Just to start with,i know money should not be mentioned on here, but i feel in some cases it needs to be. So sorry.

Hello everyone,some of you on here may know me, but if not i am yorksred and i am fast approaching my 40th year in this life. In my 30's, i have been to hell and back, through addiction, gambling, very serious family problems, alcohol and to top it all off, a total Mental Breakdown in 2011, to which i am still suffering serious depression,panic attacks and severe anxiety which has left myself on long term sick from work. Some of you may be thinking, " well why is he gambling"? but at first it really did help to keep my mind active.

I have always loved to have a gamble, so for the past 24 years that's what i have done, gambled in the monetary form but also in life, and in the gambling world, the vast majority of time all the hear is tales of winnning's , you hardly ever hear people talk of losses, and addiction.

I am writing this because in the past year, i have gambled and lost many thousands of pounds,mostly without a care of the consequence's .

I started off having bets on the horses and football, and one of my first big wins was when a horse called Realities won The Royal Hunt Cup at Ascot in 1995, which i backed at 16/1.

Over the years, i have lost hundreds of thousands, but most recently it has been on the "Games Slots" sections of several online bookies. When i gamble or play online, it does not feel like "Real Money" and i think nothing of blowing hundreds in the space of serveral Minutes, but when i go the a bookies, i may only place small bets.

Sorry for rambling on, but my attention span has just run out, so i will add more when i can concentrate again.

Thanks for now, More to follow ............
[/b]
You always pass failure on the way to success.

andy180
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby andy180 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:41 pm

sorry to hear about your problems mate ,i have gambled on the horses since my dad used to put me small bets on from the age of about 9 ,i am 47 now married with 3 grown up kids and a 6 month old grandson ,i have always had a bet at the weekend the most i have is about 20 quid on all sorts of bets ie Lucky 15 s accas on the football all sorts of bets ,if theres a big meeting on in the week ie chelt,royal ascot ,guineas meeting ile have a bet and record the races while at work and watch wen i return ,what ime trying to say i suppose is i only gamble what i can afford to lose and that isnt a great deal , if i win something l always draw it out of my account so i cant give them it back lol, and i never ever play online games imo you cant beat a computer i have seen peopl sat at thsese roulette machines in my local bookies and they are truly addicted imo ,they put 200 quid in win 2 hundred then put it back in and they are convinced they have won ,dont follow lol ,best advice i can give is only bet what u can afford to lose ,and remember u cant beat a computor never

Yorksred
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Yorksred » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:30 pm

well i thought i was more liked on here, not a lot of support off people :no:

ian0318
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ian0318 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 pm

well i thought i was more liked on here, not a lot of support off people :no:
never saw your first post mate. you have done the hardest thing and admitted you have a problem. next step get professional help. i,m sure someone on here will point you in the right direction. good luck and all the best

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Apologies, must have missed this when first posted.

I would not say i became addicted a few years ago but i found that i needed to have a bet every day of the week, a lot has changed since then and now i simply cannot afford to bet every day

The fun also went from my gambling but these days i do not bet every day and only when i really fancy something, i can now go a week without a bet very easily and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

A few years ago when i backed a horse or another event and it lost, i would keep on backing until it won but moan when it was costing me money

Recently i fancied Jack Colback to score his first league goal of the season against Sunderland and duly backed him to do so, i backed him first goal @ 20/1 and anytime @ 6/1, he never scored.

But............. he has scored in both of Newcastle's last 2 games and the anytime price was the same, and all i done was laughed.

Those moaning and non fun days are a thing of the past.

First and foremost, YOU have to put your family first, that is where you need to start, if you MUST have a bet everyday then use the virtual money on here to keep you going rather than use real hard cash, don't worry if a horse wins and you might have won money, you might win some money on here too.

Get yourself another hobby to take your mind off gambling or go for long drives/walks to keep out of the house, if you go for a walk and you know there are bookies nearby, don't take any money with you

Good luck

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Have a read of this forum, lots of good advice over the years including excellent links to gambling help organisations.

This is one of the reasons why this OLBG rule is in place
Excessive Boasting / Taunting about monetary wins (3 points)
While the odd celebration is fine please dont go over the top so that others feel bad and no posts about big bets or big wins

For every winner there are losers, so we ask for restraint when celebrating wins.

Gambling is meant to be fun, take a break or as Micko says virtual tip.

You can contact me by PM if you need me send to you the links to help organisations, full of good people with good advice.
Last edited by nors on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:28 pm

I missed your original post too. As a former betting shop manager I know where you are coming from. I watched numerous people who clearly had problems with addiction to gambling, and was unable to help in any way. Even the new laws don't allow staff to step in and actually stop someone. The punter has to appraoch staff/company and ask to be stopped/excluded.

As with any addiction, the person has to admit to themselves their problem, and what's what you seem to have done. Contact Nors, as he suggests. There are organisations set up to help people combat addiction, and gambling addiction in particular. Ultimately it is down to you, which I'm sure you understand, but they can help you achieve that status. It's easy for people to say 'Just stay offline' or 'Just restrict your bets'. Addiction is never that simple to solve, as anyone who is addicted to anything will tell you.

But you do need help, and you started that process by posting here. Get the links and information from Nors, and take those first few steps.

Good luck mate - we'll be rooting for you :hope:
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

Yorksred
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Yorksred » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Many thanks to all the well wishers, just a few messages can make the world of difference to someone like me, i am sat here crying typing this, thats how emotional i am at this present time.

I have done a 5 year self exclusion with bet365, who were great.
Willy hill have been the worst, i begged them numerous times to self exclude, ban me for life, ban ip etc but it was only when i lost nearly a bag of sand in a little over 20 minutes and i asked for help again, i was banned and sent a very aggressive email saying i was 100% to blame, yes i know its my fault but i needed help.

In the past i have had other addictions, and needed no help at all to stop those, but i am finding gambling the hardest, it is nearly breaking me.

I have another appointment with a new mental health psychologist within the next 2 weeks, so i am hoping he can maybe help aswell, if not i shall seek further help off Nors.

scoobydoo68
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby scoobydoo68 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:49 am

Hi mate, I see your from Bradford too, if you ever need a good chat to get anything off your chest just send me a message and we can meet for a coffee :win:

Yorksred
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Yorksred » Fri May 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi mate, I see your from Bradford too, if you ever need a good chat to get anything off your chest just send me a message and we can meet for a coffee :win:
Many thanks mate sounds good to me :)

EdwardFigueroa
Listed Class
Tips

Postby EdwardFigueroa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:58 am

I will like to say, that I love to bet but if I always bet in the same manner then there is a high risk to lose the game. So, it is good to take sometimes to pause then after starting a new game again. Betting every day is impossible for many people and those people have fun while playing this game. So, don't be addicted to this game. Wish you good luck.