What is your most common football betting mistake?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

What is your most common football betting mistake?

Postby nors » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:39 am

We have all made betting mistakes and i expect we have repeated lots of them until we finally got the message into our brains.

Can you help other members in warning them of your mistakes?

If you can make them general rather than team or player specific this advice can be used long term.

If they are good we can create a warning blog that will be available for years to come and literally help 000's of new bettors

Thanks in advance.

The best most helpful answer will win a forum cash award.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:50 am

What i used to do was constantly back a home team who had won their last game on the road, who were playing a team below them in the league, i dont have the stats to hand anymore but the number of winners was pretty low, i think it was less than 50%, but bearing in mind they were shortish prices (not always odds on)

Another mistake i have made and still do, is look at a team that has been involved in a 0-0 and back them in BTTS when they next play home or away, depending on whether they were home or away in the 0-0

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Good stuff Micko, was there a reason why you did this? I suspect like all of us you were lured in by some vague stat that was held in your mind that this was a route/bet you should be taking/making.

horage
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby horage » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:26 pm

probably the biggest mistake i use to make was going through the form and picking out two or three I fancied on form backing them and when two or three came in betting on anything else that was running that day because it was the next race coming up in the bookies....I'd end up betting on a 15 runner seller at redcar or somewhere and losing my winnings on some donkey that was not even trying ......

Now 99 times out of a hundred i go through the form book and pick out the ones i think have the best chance of winning on form and don't bet those winnings untill the next day....and if my good things lose i don't chase my losses on horses i did not think had the best chance of winning before racing started.

Not having a bet just for the sake of having a bet is probably the best thing i've learnt being on OLBG ;although its harder to do when your having a good day.

patience and discipline are the keys to making money backing horses/...

good luck all.....

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Good stuff Micko, was there a reason why you did this? I suspect like all of us you were lured in by some vague stat that was held in your mind that this was a route/bet you should be taking/making.
No idea but probably at the time, most of us think differently when betting

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:33 pm

What is your most common betting mistake?

1: My case, following your own teams.
Everytime i bet on them they don t do well some reason.
So know leave them alone. :win:

2: So know trying 3 different other teams.
3: Don t bet on our Country either , especially know what
hapened in their last game.

Thambo
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Thambo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:57 pm

.and if my good things lose i don't chase my losses on horses i did not think had the best chance of winning before racing started.

good luck all.....
This for me is one of the more common mistakes many make, myself included - chasing losses.

Nowadays, I pick an amout that i am prepared to lose in a day and place my bets. If they win, super duper, if they lose, well there's always tomorrow

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:36 am

Mine would be getting excited by a big race meeting and ignoring the smaller less sexy meetings where winners may be easier to find (albeit with shorter prices). Sometimes we look for bets at the Televised meetings and forget that the 2.45 at Carlisle, or 3.30 at Market Rasen are more easily solvable and maybe our focus should be there.

toadie21
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby toadie21 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:44 pm

One thing I have been guilty of is budgeting a betting bank for a big meeting i.e. Cheltenham. But in the week/weekend prior got abit over excited and put a large stake on a \"sure thing\".

Blakey1983
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Blakey1983 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:48 pm

Cashing out! I never get it right, wish there was an option to disable it.

mathsbet
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby mathsbet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Being swayed by the odds. I do all of my selection work without looking at the odds, usually before the odds are available, and I have many times turned a 'win' into a 'draw no bet' or double chance because the odds were so far out of line with my estimations and I wanted to hedge my bets.

This is based on what is usually an unwarranted respect for the general accuracy of the market, and it cost me a fair bit in diminished profits before I trained myself to stop doing it.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Not that many mistakes posted?

Do members not make any mistakes these days?