Scottish Football 2016/17 Season

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Scottish Football 2016/17 Season

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:51 am

Over the next two days Cowdenbeath take on Forfar, Livi play Raith, Stirling are at home to Alloa, Ayr are against Morton and Stranraer play Queens Park in the East/West Development Leagues. Over 2.5 goal in Al five games pays 1.85/1.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:54 am

Two goalfests last nigh but Ayr could only draw with Morton nil nil! No!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 am

Here’s a recap of how the predictions at the start of the season are getting on.

Hibs/Falkirk
Alloa/Stranraer
Clyde/Arbroath

I avoided the top league as I couldn’t see anyone other than Celtic winning.

Hibs are top of the Championship and have hit a bit of form just as Dundee United have slipped away. Eight points in front with fourteen games to go. Hibs are known for blowing it so beware!

Falkirk are a distant fourth. In theory, if they rallied a bit of form and Dundee United struggled they could catch them. But they’ve also got to worry about Morton who are three points behind United with a game in hand.

In League One Alloa are second but there’s only six points between them and eighth place Peterhead. This one is going to the wire. While my other pick Stranraer are bottom. Sorry!

In League Two Forfar are eight points ahead of one of my tips Arbroath who are ten points ahead of fourth placed Annan. While Arbroath might not be able to win the league, they should have enough in them to maintain their position.

Bets of the rest

St Johnstone – Top Six in SPL
Raith – Top Four in the Championship
Brechin – Top four in League One
Stirling – Top Four in League Two

St Johnstone are fifth in the top league just now, ten points ahead of sixth placed Motherwell and eleven ahead of the chasing pack. Celtic have won the league while it’s going to be close between Rangers and Aberdeen for second, St Johnston may well be competing with Hearts for fourth. As long as they finish in the top six!

In the Championship Raith are down to seventh. With the form of Morton and with Dundee United and Falkirk probably due an improvement, fourth seems out with their grasp just now.

Brechin are in fourth in League One, but as mentioned before it’s going to be tight. Their away form is better than their home form which they’ll need to improve.

Stirling have Dave Mackay in charge but they’ve lost their best player Dylan Bikey to Hearts. Nine points behind Annan seems a lot for them to catch.

Relegation

SPL – Hamilton
Championship – Dumbarton
League One – Livingston (!!!)
League Two – Montrose

Hamilton are second bottom, three points ahead of Inverness. Both of them are struggling with three wins each.

Dumbarton have hot a bit of form and found themselves eleven points ahead of bottom club St Mirren. It’s going to take a monumental collapse in form for Dumbarton to finish bottom.

Speaking of which…Livingston are elvene points clear of Alloa at the top of League One. There’s no way their going to swap places with Stranraer at the bottom of the league which is a shame as I have Stranraer down to win it!

League Two is still quite tight. Montrose have hit a bit of form at the right time and are an impressive fifth but that’s only eight points above bottom place Cowdenbeath. Still a lot to play for.

Top Scorer

SPL – Martyn Waghorn
Championship – Simon Murray
League One – Greg Spence
League Two – Ross Allum

Injury has restricted Rangers striker Martyn Waghorn from recapturing his form in last season Championship. Scott Sinlair of Celtic and Ross County’s Liam Boyce are the leagues current top scorers. Waghorn is currently behind veteran team mate Kenny Miller.

In the Championship the top scorer is Jason Cummings of Hibs and Queen of the South’s Stephen Dobbie on 12. Dundee United’s Simon Murray is currently lagging behind with seven. If he hits form so might United!

In League One my selection of Greig Spence is on eleven goals, five behind Liam Buchanan. He’s not going to finish top scorer but might have a chance of a place.

Which is more than I can expect from Edinburgh City’s Ross Allum. City have played well recently but Allum is way, way behind the leagues top scorer Shane Sutherland of Elgin.

Can’t win them all. Or can’t win most of them..!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 am

Here's a look back on the Scottish season to see how the bets got on.

The Championship

Hibs did eventually win the league but they did it the hard way. Despite having a squad strong enough for the top flight and with former Celtic manager Neil Lennon at he helm, it wasn't the runaway that many expected.

I tipped Falkirk to finish in the top two and they duly obliged. At the time of writing they're in a play off with Dundee United to see if they can get promoted. They're a very physical and well organised outfit under manager Peter Houston. Will he stick around forever? I don't think so. In fact I'd keep an eye on the developments at his former club Hearts.

Dundee United were next. I'd seen them play a couple of times and expected more from them. However with a season under her belts and the signing of former Hibs striker James Keatings if they don't go up through the play offs they should be there or there about a next season.

Morton were next and for awhile they looked like they could actually win the title. Getting to the play offs was an amazing achievement for Jim Duffys side. With their modest resources it's going to be difficult for them to keep ahold of them.

Dunfermline were ripped by many to finish high in the table but they missed out on a top four place.

Queen of the South were next. A change to their managerial personnel after a shaky start saw them avoid relegation but they have expectations to be doing better. One plus point was the exploits of goal scoring star Stephen Dobbie. He might've getting on a bit but he could still do a job in the top league for some clubs.

Then we had St Mirren. If you were to say at the start of the season that Saints would finish seventh the average Saints fan would have been disgusted. If half way through the season you'd said the same they would have bitten your hand off!

Jack Ross has been a great manager in his short spell and clearly they have the talent to do well.

Dumbarton were under pressure for a bit but still managed to survive in the league, a decent achievement when you consider their resources. But are they casting an envious eye towards Morton?

I tipped Raith for a top four spot and it didn't quite go to plan. With results going against them and confidence being sapped from them they ended the season second bottom and were relegated through the play offs in a penalty shootout.

Bottom of the pile was Ayr. Some of their best results were against Hibs but it wasn't to be for Ian McCalls men.

I also picked Simon Murray of Dundee United to be top scorer. He didn't do too badly with ten goals so far and I'm. It sure if goals in the play offs count from now on. If so there's stil a miracle he can do it!

My predictions

Hibs and Falkirk Each Way which both managed to achieve.

Dumbarton to finish bottom which they avoided

Raith Rovers to finish in the top four which they didn't!

Simon Murray to be top scorer. He's on eleven just now, Jason Cummings was top with nineteen l.

League One

Let's get this over and done with he very quickly, shall we?!

My logic was teams who get relegated into this division have a habit of dropping down again. I fancied Alloa to do well which left me with Livingston.

So I tipped them to go down and they only went on to win the title!

Oops!

But my other top Alloa did better. Jack Ross got them into a decent league position and his replacement Jim Goodwin continued that for a place.

Stranraer were my other selection of winning the league Each Way but it wasn't a memorable season for them. Brian Reid left after results put them at the wrong end of the league and even although they had a late rally they were still too far off the pace.

I also backed Brechin to finish in the top four and despite a nervy finish they managed to do it.

I backed Greig Spence to end up as top scorer and he did well with sixteen goals but was way off the pace.

Elsewhere in the league Stenhousemuir went down but not without a fight. Peterhead are currently in a relegation play off but I wasn't convinced they'd have that great a season.

East Fife, Albion Rovers and Queens Park all did well to stay in the league and at one point challenge for a play off spot. Time will tell if they can push on next season or if this season was a fluke.

My predictions

Stranraer and Alloa to win the league Each Way. Alloa managed a place.

Livingston to get relegated. Shhhhhhhhhh!

Brechin to finish in the top four. They duly obliged.

Greg Spence to be top scorer. A valiant but unsuccessful attempt.

League Two

My two tips at the start of the season were Clyde and Arbroath.

Clyde was a bad choice. Manager Barry Ferguson parted company from the club as try slid towards the wrong end of the table.

Arbroath was a slightly better suggestion. They managed to win the league despite trailing Forfar at one point by eleven points. The fact that they did it in the last day of the season made things even more exciting.

My other tips didn't do that well. Ross Allum didn't do as well at Edinburgh City as I thought he would and ended us leaving the club so you don't need to be a genius to work out he didn't finish as top goal scorer in the division.

Stirling had a disastrous start and ended far better but failed to make the top four.

Montrose were my tips to finish bottom but instead that honour fell to Cowdenbeath who remarkably a couple of seasons ago were playing league matches against Rangers and Hibs.

In general it was heartache for Forfar who lost out on the title to Arbroath. Annan and Montrose defied expectations to finish in the play offs, Edinburgh city did well to stay in the league while Elgin and Berwick must be disappointed with finishing outside the promotion spot.

Here's how my tips did

To win the league

Arbroath and Clyde. With it being an Each Way bet Arbroath obliged by winning the title. Clyde struggled

Ross Allum wasn't the top scorer at his club, never mind the division

Stirling put on a decent showing in the second half of the season but it was too little too late to dent the top four.

And Montrose didn't finish bottom. That was Cowdenbeath!

Overall far happier with the selections for winning the leagues (two winners and two places out of six selections) than the rest although the best of the rest bet found two winners.

Next season I might not focus on top scorers and relegation as much. But it's easy to say that now!

On to next season!

Cheers

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 am

Good to read Lust For Leith a comprehensive post. Its interesting to look back on our predictions at the start of events and tournaments to see where it went right/wrong. We need as punters to do this more often as this should help us avoid mistakes in the future.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 am

Good to read Lust For Leith a comprehensive post. Its interesting to look back on our predictions at the start of events and tournaments to see where it went right/wrong. We need as punters to do this more often as this should help us avoid mistakes in the future.
Thanks Nors.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing!

Already working on next season!