Scottish Football 2016/17 Season

Cannaetip
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Cannaetip » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Well I got btts correct,dodgy penalty though.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:55 pm

As a tic supporter whenever you see a team with Armstrong of average ability/Forrest McGregor
I thought Forrest and McGregor played alright but they are lacking quality. I wouldn't have paid £4.5 million for Scott Sinclair but he got off to a great start.

All in all I thought it was a pretty decent game with the on,y thing lacking being a goal from Griffiths! :lol:

ahwizgonnae
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby ahwizgonnae » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Lust for Leith you can add Armstrong to the above 2 he is really poor in all aspoects of the game,Forest a bit better to-day but he has proved so often in the past that he doesn,t have the "character",Sinclair 4.5mil mm!? but when you see the kind of money slopping around in the EPL for good/average players then it might prove to be money well spent,he brings a really fast profile to the game,something we have lacked in spades,it is imperative that you get strong/athletic/quick players into your line up in the modern game.Quite a good entertaining game to-day,Hearts maybe feeling that a draw would have been a fair reflection,I wouldn,t argue with that.

shedrule1983
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby shedrule1983 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:13 pm

ahwizgonnae i would have armstrong back

shedrule1983
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby shedrule1983 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 pm

Not a great start for utd but its only the first game.I like murry but he needs 3 chances for every goal he scores.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:39 am

League Cup returns tonight for the last sixteen. Hard to think that it's barely August and we're at this stage of a competition already!

Anyway I've seen Hibs quoted at 20/1 to win it and I know I'll jinx it but I think they could win the whole thing.

Of the teams left in it and since they've been in the Championship in the last two seasons, Hibs have beaten Alloa, Inverness, Dundee United, Morton, Queen of the South, Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts and if you include pre season friendlies Motherwell.

So that would leave Partick Thistle, Hamilton, Peterhead, Celtic and Ayr that they've not beaten since being relegated.

I also think that they'll be looking to make up for the last minute agony of losing last year's final to Ross County.

The cup runs became something of a distraction for Hibs last season when it came to the league with two finals using a lot of their resources.

The League Cup this year starts early with the final being on Sunday 27 November so that won't be a problem this season.

Cups are risky to bet on at the best of times as you never know who teams will be drawn against.

But Hibs don't have anything to fear against most of the sides in the competition and boss Neil Lennon has stated he's hoping a good cup run will help them in the league.

Hibs to win the League Cup 20/1

(Hoping I've not jinxed it already!)

shedrule1983
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby shedrule1983 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:10 pm

jinxed it :P

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 pm

jinxed it :P
Some would say I Hibsed it!

Early days but Alloa have impressed me so far. Great results in the cup and an empathic win in the league.

This week I like the look of Arbroath to win the Angus Derby at Montrose. The away side should have a good chance of challenging for the league this season and they should be able to beat Montrose.

Arbroath to win 31/20

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:44 pm

I'm going to do a review/preview of the Scottish League before the weekend but first up its the Challenge Cup.

It's a bit of a strange competitoon. Basically it used to be for lower leagues teams only. Then this season they've decided to bring in clubs from Wales and Ireland and also Premier teams. It's the Under 20's teams but they're called Colts just in case you were getting confused!

I think there's further confusion as a team could have a player on loan at a lower league club but they're eligible to play for their parent club in this tournament, even if they don't play for their parent club they're training with them then playing for a lower league club then maybe playing against their parent club in this copetition. I think!

In the last round there were some funny results. The question you need to ask is this - is a Premier Leagues under 20's club as good as a lower leagues side?

So Celtic under 20/ hammered Annan 5-1 for instance and it was 5-0 for Partick away to Clyde.

Then you had Dundee under 20's losing way to Cove Rangers and Inverness getting beat from Arbroath at home.

It's also bearing in mind that a big club might be shown as being at home but there's a chance the game will be getting played elsewhere!

One thing that did catch my eye was goals.

I'm sure a couple of seasons ago the under 20 Development League in Scotland was one of the best for goals being scored, games could often finish with ridiculous scores. Having had a quick Google the average game in this league had 3.19 goals per game last season.

Then I checked the last round of results. Every game in the first round had over 2.5 goals scored.

It's hard to tell what sort of teams will be getting played. The Cllts will be putting out under 20 players while the lower league teams might rest a few players.

There's sides in it like Stranraer and Peterhead who need a win after a shaky campaign start.

I'd perhaps avoid backing teams beating others but I like the look of goals being scored!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Some crazy results in the Irn Bru cup last night. Off all the games played only two matches featured less than 2.5 goals. Impressive!

If you fancy the three game tonight to feature more th 2.5 goals it pays about 2.75/1!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Some crazy results in the Irn Bru cup last night. Off all the games played only two matches featured less than 2.5 goals. Impressive!

If you fancy the three game tonight to feature more th 2.5 goals it pays about 2.75/1!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Apologies, been a bit busy to do a regular update that I wanted/promised on the Scottish leagues. Will try and have something done on a Friday or a Sunday.

In the meantime here’s a quick update.

Due to a friendly game Celtic have only played three games but won them all. Brendan Rodgers seems to have taken to the managerial role at Parkhead with ease in the league. A couple of shaky moments in qualifying for the Champions League didn’t prevent them from getting to the group stages where they’ll face Man City, Barcelona and Borussia Monchengladbach.

The Champions League games may end up being a slight distraction. Do the club have the depth in their squad to deal with the pressures of this? Time will tell but I can see them taking something form one or more of those clubs at home in Europe.

Rangers have adapted to life back in the top flight well enough to be second just now. Two draws shows that maybe then need that killer instinct and to toughen up at the back a bit more but bear in mind the Premier is a step up from the Championship where Rangers have been in the last couple of seasons.

A shaky start to the season where they were eliminated in the League Cup put a bit of pressure on Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson, especially when it was suggested he didn’t have a lot of say in the running of the team. His players have responded well.

Last season Jim McIntyre worked wonders with Ross County who won their first trophy ever. Liam Boyce is popping up with the important goals to keep them in the top six. Two wins and two losses out of four games shows this could be an inconsistent season for County.

Dundee have sold their two best strikers in Greg Stewart and Kane Hemmings. They will find it tough and from a team who drew a lot of games last season they’ve started in the same vein with two draws so far.

I thought Hamilton would struggle but they’ve done alright so far with only one loss.

The bottom six contains some names you’d expect and others you wouldn’t.

So far Aberdeen have failed to hit the giddy heights of last season when they looked like serious title challengers. Same for St Johnstone but in all fairness to the Perth men they are notorious late starters.

You’d imagine that those two, along with Motherwell, should perform a lot better as the season goes on and those three should be in the top six at some point in the future.

Kilmarnock boss Lee Clark has already survived a scare in losing his job at the draw with Rangers could be a springboard to more success. Partick had a fine season last year but haven’t yet got going and are only kept off the bottom from Inverness who new gaffer Richie Foran is finding it’s more difficult managing a team than it is playing for them.

Early stages but Celtic have got off to a cracking, goal scoring start. Rangers and Hearts need to find some consistency and grind out wins while Aberdeen and St Johsntone need to redisvoer their form.

Has Patrick’s luck run out? Will Inverness improve? Will Killie kick on?

In the Championship Hibs have got of to a flyer. Like St Johsntone as mentioned above the Eater Road side are usually slow starts. At the time of writing this they’ve managed to keep a hold of John McGinn and Jason Cumming, new boss Neil Lennon has strengthened his side and given them a more attacking edge than they’ve had before. Grant Holt and Brian Graham have been snapped up while Andrew Shinnie has joined on loan.

Mentioned before they’ve budgeted for two seasons in the league and this is the third. They’re top of the league for the first time since being in it after four straight wins.

I tipped Raith Rovers to finish in the top four and they’ve started really well so far. Gary Locke has made sure his team have plenty of goals in them and they’ll continue to cause teams problems.

Much like Hamilton in the Premier I thought Queen of the South would struggle. But experienced midfielder Stephen Dobbie, one of the signings of the Scottish season so far, has led to Queens being unbeaten so far.

There’s a bit of a gap in the league until the next best. Dundee United are like Hibs have been in the Championship, trying to find their feet. Teams they play won’t be scared of them and it’s going to be a long, hard season for them but manager Ray McKinnon knows his stuff.

Dumbarton have done better than expected but Falkirk haven’t. Still time for things to be turned around.

Dunfermline, tipped by many to do really well after promotion, are finding things a bit difficult but I think they’ll come good.

The bottom three don’t have a win in the league between them. Morton have got quality, and St Mirren should have quality. Stuck at the bottom just now are Ayr.

So Hibs need to keep the momentum going. Raith and Queens have surprised many while Dundee United and Falkirk can and will do better, St Mirren really need to do better.

In League One Alloa have have got off to a cracking start, winning all four games and scoring fifteen goals in the process. I mentioned before the season started that boss Jack Ross had made some decent signings and it looks to be working a treat.

Brechin are next. In the summer I tipped Brechin to finish in the top four if they kept the momentum going from last season which looks like they have so far.

One tip I got really wrong was for Livingston to be in trouble. If that’s the case it’s not happened just yet with only one loss so far.

There’s a bit of a chasing pack with Airdrie (who might finally prove their worth) and newly promoted pair Queens Park and East Fife just behind. Then Stranrar (should do better) Albion, Stenny and Peterhead (must do better) all follow.

Looking at the league Alloa are the team to beat. It will be interesting that they’ve won their eight straight game. They can’t keep winning (although having tipped them to top the league by the end of the season I’d love them to). How will they manage if/when they lose?

Livi are strong, brechin look to be decent, Stranraer should come good again but Peterhead need to improve. Remember, this is a league form which Forfar and Cowdenbeath were both relegated from last season. It can be really tight with only a few points previously separating teams going for promotion and trying to avoid relegation.

In League Two I thought newly relegated Forfar would struggle but manager Gary Bollan has proved me wrong with his side winning all their games so far. After that you’ve got Angus neighbours Arbroath in second place.

Clyde are often there or there abouts at the end of the season but haven’t yet dominated the league in the manner in which they’d hope to.

John Coughlin has had Berwick promoted before and he’s doing well again with only one league defeat. Annan have also only lost once and next it’s Elgin.

Stirling started last season badly and although this isn’t as bad they’ve not kicked on in a manner in which they’d hope for. Cowdenbeath were relegated and are struggling with one win so far.

Montrose have managed a couple of draws and are being kept off the bottom of the table by newly promoted Edinburgh City who’ve yet to win a game in the league.

Looking at the above leagues so far Celtic, Hibs, Alloa and Forfar won’t win all their remaining games. Imagine the odds on that! Factors to consider for the teams include

Premier

Teams who’ll eventually lose points –

Celtic

Teams who should be doing better –

Aberdeen and St Johnstone

Teams who have started well –

Ross County and Hamilton

Teams who need to watch that they’re not going to be in a relegation battle –

Kilmarnock, Partick and Inverness

Championship –

Teams who’ll eventually lose points –

Hibs

Teams who’ve started  well –

Raith, Dumbarton and Queen of the South

Teams who should and will want to be doing better than they are

Dundee United and Falkirk

Teams who are finding it harder than they hoped

St Mirren, Dunfermline and Ayr United

League One –

Teams who’ll eventually lose points -

Alloa

Teams who’ve started well -

Brechin, East Fife, Queens Park and Livingston

Teams who are finding it harder than they hoped -

Peterhead and Stranraer

League Two -

Teams who’ll eventually lose points -

Forfar

Teams who’ve started well –

Berwick Rangers

Teams who are finding it harder than they expected –

Edinburgh City, Montrose, Cowdenbeath

With it being international break this week, attention turns to the third round of the Irn Bru cup. Formally this was known as the Challenge Cup which was contested between teams in the lower leagues.

It now includes teams from the Premier who submit under 20 players and in the fourth round teams from Ireland and Wales will be included.

Only Celtic remain in the competition from the Premier League. Betting on it is a minefield and it’s hard to judge how serious teams will take it. I’d be wary of backing specific teams until you know what kind of side they plan on putting out.

I like the look of goals. In the last round there were 12 games and eight of them had over 2.5 goals. In the first round there was fourteen games and all of them had over 2.5 goals.

Twelve games this week, how many will finish with over 2.5 goals?