Can you make a living betting on football?

Is it possible to make a living soccer betting?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 399
Mr Blue
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Mr Blue » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 pm

When you reach a level of knowledge and expertise that you know you are making good betting decisions then that should really be the aim.

Not everything is going to go your way that is the nature of betting, a sending off or injury can scupper the best most thought out bets.

To turn that knowledge into regularly profiting from your betting would be my aim.
Hmmm. But surely one of the things that makes it so hard (I refer to betting on 90 minute markets here) is that you can't really know whether you are making good betting decisions in the main can you ?

I mean at what point would you know? After two years of profits?

Out of 1 million regular bettors who seek out best prices and only bet singles how many do you think would be in profit by pure chance after two years?

I don't know but I suspect it would be several times more than those who are in profit by skill.

As far as I'm concerned it's almost impossible for most people to make a living betting on 90 minute soccer markets.

The idea that expertise in football can help you is wrong I believe. There are many people who know a huge amount about football-there are even people who only read books about football for Petes sake. Yet they can't turn this knowledge into even a paltry amount per year.

It's the psychological affects of long losing runs that does for people. Even the smartest people in the world struggle to make betting pay.

It takes a certain type of mindset ,not one that you'd necessarily want mind,and without it you will always struggle no matter what knowledge you have.

Of course,as someone previously implied,it's much easier when you are betting amounts of money you can easily afford to lose.

Not only will you be able to bet value more often but when you suffer a losing run you can console yourself with not having been greedy or not getting carried away with your earlier success.

Edit

It turns out I wrong about the perceived opportunity I mentioned in my previous post on this thread. Luckily my friend pointed out the flaw in time!

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Lots of points Mr Blue.

When i watch a news report i am struck by the narrative the reporter is trying to convey to the watcher, the narrative is generally doom ridden to maximize effect and interest.

The dire consequences of Brexit are a good example, we have heard much more about the consequences of leaving the EU as opposed to many of the upsides which people and business are experiencing.

Words are added and examples given which do not tell the whole story, and the words are skewed.

You pick out the singles argument and you may well be right, but it was overall knowledge and expertise that i wanted to encourage, by gaining more knowledge and skill on a subject your betting decisions will become better.

No one in my immediate family can make as good betting decisions as me because they do not have the knowledge i have , they are not the slightest bit interested in betting, like i am not interested in knitting.

Your quote below inserts and only bets on singles so back to the Brexit narrative. If you remove the only bet on singles it reads
Out of 1 million regular bettors who seek out best prices how many do you think would be in profit by pure chance after two years?

I don't know but I suspect it would be several times more than those who are in profit by skill.
If you think my granny, next door neighbour, milkman can win more money by chance than i or others can be skill then you are sadly mistaken.

Singles may not be the holy grail of betting, but to regularly profit from your betting they are a good place to start to enhance and start building your profits.

These abridged points to making a living i would agree with
It's the psychological affects of long losing runs that does for people
It takes a certain type of mindset

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Can you make a living betting on football?

Postby nors » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:02 pm

The year is nearly over and we need to take stock of our football betting. Now we may not be near to making a living from our football betting but how close are we to making

1. A profit
2. A regular sustained profit

Please add your football season betting so far

If i look and read a couple of bloggers football experiences then this gives me plenty of hope

Ralfie 1982 on his Crystal Palace blog is 13 points up since week 2 of the season, now some may say he backs a lot of selections, but he knows his team and this focus on his team is paying off.
Davidg3907 on his last report was sitting in a good position on his season long relegation predictions.

I am sure there are plenty of members who are doing well - the next step (if they want to) is to hone their betting and try to cut out the wasteful/casual bets.

It would be great to get some end of year football betting reports - over to you!

mathsbet
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby mathsbet » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:05 pm

My performance this season is fairly accurately reflected in my profile stats (https://www.olbg.com/tipster/summary.php?id=352115), as I have made an effort to write up as many of my bets as possible this season, so you can see, I achieved a miniscule 1% profit in September, a marginal 2% loss in October, a decent 15% profit in November, and an 8% profit for this month so far, based on an overall total of 211 tips since the start of the season.

I have learned that I cannot make a profit in the early weeks of the season as there is not enough data yet available to gain an edge on the market, and I have also learned (again) the importance of rejecting bets that are either too short or exactly in line with your own prices (and it's important to frame your own prices before checking the market).

I believe that writing up tips more actively this season has sharpened my selection process, as I generally bet systematically, but when doing the write-ups for a selection, if I can't find a good argument either for the outcome itself or that the price available on the selection represents value, then I tend to reconsider whether I should be betting on it at all.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:20 am

If I can't find a good argument either for the outcome itself or that the price available on the selection represents value, then I tend to reconsider whether I should be betting on it at all.
That is a good point mathsbet, i am sometimes writing up horse racing tips and think to myself "why am i backing this horse on such flimsy evidence". It tends to make you focus more and not just take a punt.

My footy bets this season have greatly reduced to only what i consider value. At the weekend from all the fixtures there were only 2 bets.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:10 pm

A good time of the year to think about this question as we end one year and head into another.

I think breaking the target down into much smaller chunks, weekly, 2 weekly, monthly etc and reviewing your bets over those shorter periods of time should help to see where you are doing well, and where you are making mistakes.

Mistakes help because we learn from them.

I suspect if we really focused on our best wagers, and just say tried to make a profit over a short designated period it could be done.

If anyone wants to test the footy betting ideas and systems in 2017 please try on theBetting Blogs and Systems Forum.

GeorgeTheBettor
Listed Class
Tips

Postby GeorgeTheBettor » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:11 am

if you can make a living out of betting on a sport, then that is definitely football or soccerr.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:05 am

I suspect George some sports have experts who may disagree, NFL springs to mind.

UBET10
Listed Class
Tips

Postby UBET10 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Think you need bottle and at least £20,000
first bet A Villa v Leeds
Lay 0-0 f/t @ 9.6

Enrique125
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Enrique125 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:41 pm

if theres a sport that I can make a living out of betting on it, then that is Football.

Enrique125
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Enrique125 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:46 pm

By football I mean soccer. ) Not american football.

DanishMafia
2yo
Tips

Postby DanishMafia » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:34 pm

I voted no, but maybe I shouldn't have. The thing is that once a bookie realize that you're being a successful bettor they will limit you and make you unable to place any bets. Sure, there are a lot of bookies to use so that way you might be able to stay profitable.