Can you make a living betting on football?

Is it possible to make a living soccer betting?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 399
Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:05 pm

I am not sure that it would be possible to make a good living out of betting just on football, albeit I have a couple of acquaintances who are able to live well by using their profits from the 'beautiful game' to top up their earnings from part time jobs.

Both of them are extremely shrewd punters, dedicated to identifying value odds and backing the outcomes in line with the value margin that they perceive is built into the odds on offer and neither of them will place a bet based on sentiment.

I try to adopt some of their best practices, but my main sport is horse racing, so I rarely dedicate enough time and/or effort to ensure regular profits, albeit I do have my moments.

Recent blogs:

Euro 2016 – Teams To Finish Last In Each Group – Value Bets
http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410451

Euro 2016 – Group Stage Winners – Value Bets
http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410306

Naps Of The Day – How To Choose Value Selections
http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410221

Mr Blue
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Mr Blue » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:27 am

I am not sure that it would be possible to make a good living out of betting just on football,

Hi,
The reason I just had to comment on this post is because it really made me smile.

Robmull states that he's not sure it would be possible to make a good living betting just on football.

He then gives links to blogs the first one of which I read clearly shows bookies getting several long term prices wrong.

In fact Robmull expressed his surprise at this.

In fact you most certainly can make a living betting solely on football.

But the overwhelming majority of gamblers have no chance of ever doing so because for some weird reason they insist on betting primarily on the hard to beat 90 minute markets and eschew the far easier to beat long term markets.

That was an excellent blog on the 'to finish last markets in Euro 2016' Robmull.

In fact it was the most useful thing I've yet seen on here.

Thanks.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:51 am

With the new season starting i wondered whether members had any more thoughts on this topic? I would certainly be looking to make a season long profit from careful punting on football, however with the amounts i bet it couldn't be regarded as a living.

maxwell1986
Handicapper
Tips

Postby maxwell1986 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:28 pm

I definitely think myself as a tipster could make a living from football betting.
As long as you can take that you won\'t always win and there will be losses the main thing is to keep them to minimum. And over half of my bets come in and I use stats such as form injury list / new signing\'s and head to head form to come up with a probability which usually will bring more wins than losses. It\'s also about betting what u can lose and keeping certain amount of profits.

addpea
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby addpea » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:02 pm

I would say you couldn't. If you are betting on a match to match basis then you are likely to be backing at shortish odds so you need to putting on a large amount of money and have a high % of winning bets. If you are betting on the Premier League then I am sure you wouldn't get limited much, but I am sure the lower down you go that you will struggle to get enough money on to make a living out of it. I know of on non-league punter who has pretty much had to give up because he struggles to get a bit on now although he made a six figure profit over a few seasons (not sure exactly how many). Ante-Post markets obviously offer a chance of bigger prices, but then you are waiting 9 months most of the time to get paid out.
@DarranPearce on twitter feel free to add me

bett4u
Unraced
Tips

Can you make a living betting on football? YES

Postby bett4u » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:32 am

The most successful strategy is: 1, X ,2, 1X or X2.

Try this

Date Tm UK Team 1 Team 2 Tip Odd
12.08 19:00 Bastia Paris SG 2 1.38
13.08 17:30 Manchester City Sunderland 1 1.22
14.08 13:30 Bournemouth Manchester Utd 2 1.80
15.08 20:00 Chelsea West Ham 1 1.65

Stake: 1 odd: 5.00

Possible win: 5.00

Good luck.

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:01 am

I suspect that accumulators aren't the answer to this question.

OLBG isn't the answer either but it helps. Useful info, good tips, and a place to try strategies, and a trustworthy tipping contest to measure your success.

Maybe those who claim success could back that up with 10 or more profitable Months in the contest every year. Then their claims may be more believable.

Personally I've given up with The Wicked Mistress sport apart from the occasional fun bet from my fun betting bank, not from the serious bank.

Hopefully we all agree it's tough. I suspect that <5% of footie punters make an annual profit. The OLBG tipping contest results seem to support that.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:13 am

When you reach a level of knowledge and expertise that you know you are making good betting decisions then that should really be the aim.

Not everything is going to go your way that is the nature of betting, a sending off or injury can scupper the best most thought out bets.

To turn that knowledge into regularly profiting from your betting would be my aim.

Zyntho
2yo
Tips

Postby Zyntho » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:46 pm

I use betting to top up my income.
If it works i´m happy, if it doesn´t i don´t worry because i have my regular income.
I think it makes an difference if you bet "just for fun" or you have to win because you need the money to pay your bills.
In this situation i don´t think that you are able to make the right decisions.

turflinetrading
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby turflinetrading » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Absolutely nors, 'Not everything is going to go your way', I look at it this way, as long as I cover the costs of my out-lays, and shopping bills and wine from Waitrose, and taxi fares, I am happy.

Sometimes you do get lucky, like when Luton scored in the 96thmin with a penalty against Newport last-night to win the match.

Looking after your betting/trading Bank is so important.

pasco111
Unraced
Tips

Postby pasco111 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:49 am

football is the best sports in the whole wideworld

vinsanity2000
Unraced
Tips

Postby vinsanity2000 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:50 pm

It's hard to make a living out of just football. In my experience best type of betting in football are goals...at least they are more predictable than other outcomes. I always mix football with tennis and NBA