Can you make a living betting on football?

Is it possible to make a living soccer betting?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 398
happysmile
Listed Class
Tips

Can you make a living betting on football?

Postby happysmile » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:50 am

Hi everyone out there !

As i'm not a professional tipster and neither a beginner I would like to know from everyone out there who has been betting soccer for years !

The question is - Is it possible to make a living betting on soccer? Or at least is it possible to make a large income of your normal income by betting on soccer?

I know there is a lot here on this site which is really good - are you making a living on it?

Also if you are doing great and have a lot of experiences with this. What kind of strategy are you using? What is some of the best "tips" you got from your experience?

By myself I usually do maximum 10% of my bankroll per bet (if im sure about a match) , but I read this is probably too high. Normally 1-3% I read is the normal per bet. How many bets do you make a day? What did you experience was the most successful strategy over time ? Over 2.5 or under 2.5 or 1X2 ?

Again I would like you if you have a lot of experience to share your best tips betting on soccer.

Thank you

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 am

The question is - Is it possible to make a living betting on soccer?
This is a very hard question to answer.

Presuming that an average "living" might be £30k p/a, and you have a situation I would suggest is very difficult to attain.

We have to bear in mind that if looking to average £30k per year, there may be great fluctuation on possible yearly rewards, So for instance if a particular year was to provide no profit whatsoever, how would one "live" on that, indeed losses may also occur - Could the financial strain be "lived" out. In this scenario looking at longer term it would have to be offset with a £60k year somewhere down the line and then we are looking at netting £5k per month PROFIT

The first thing I would suggest is anyone trying to "earn" £30k per year from football betting alone, would need an absolute minimum bankroll of £100k and then consider potential living expenses (£12k p/a?) coming from this capital as well.

I would suggest, football betting alone would require a huge bank, an enormous amount of bravery,and anyone trying this season, might have had a fairly rocky road from premier League betting

Just my thoughts,would be interested in others

The Executioner
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Executioner » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:24 am

m.o.b ...... just about has it covered , a very big bank would be required - I'd suggest maybe £200k , discipline - courage and extra toilet paper would also be required.

dowson51
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby dowson51 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:25 am

I agree with Man o Bong, whilst in theory it is possible to make a living from betting, there will be profit and loss months. It\'s not like the mortgage company will look favourably on you saying you will catch up on your arrears as you are expecting a good month on the both teams to score market...

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 am

Just thinking further, if you fancy having a go at it, why not start using the OLBG Tipping competition as a test bed

You will, in general, get best odds available, and have up to £500 to stake on bets,

Try it outfor a few months, I am guessing there are few that manage to hit that £5k in any month let alone on average over 12

Would be intersted and very supportive if anyone fancies having a go at it

You'll have no less that £15k (£1000 per month and £100 daily top ups) to play with every year with no risk to your personal life.

Give it a go, or perhaps start a blog linked to that tipping to track your progress

mikemackintosh
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby mikemackintosh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:31 am

A topic that I've thought about before quite a bit, not so much on football but on sports and events that I think I could sustain decent profit at betting on (UFC, NFL, Darts) . I'm not a massive better on football myself so I'm not in the best position to give a detailed response but...

I would say Football, more so than a lot of sports, contains so many variables that I would imagine it'll would be extremely hard to make a decent living off it in the long-term. Obviously if you put all your eggs into that basket the amount of research you could do would give you an edge over the "average" better. Even with that said a lot of luck would be involved I think in order to win a lot, last minute goals and decisions like penalties would have to go in your favor more often that not.

I'd also echo the comments of MOB and suggest trialing it on here would be a good idea first, or even doing it on betting sites with low stakes.

I would say its "possible" but unless you have a good amount of discipline, intuition, luck and do the research it is very unlikely that you'll succeed in the long-term.

happysmile
Listed Class
Tips

Postby happysmile » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Appreciate the comments especially from man o bong. I would like to hear other tipsters too who has had a lot of experience with betting.

I fully agree if you have to live by it you need a huge bankroll....

Its a bit the same as investing in stocks , you wont make a living in stocks without a huge amount of money.

So I guess to make a living it requires a huge amount of bankroll, discipline + being one of the best betting on games.

Again I would like to hear from others too. Let me ask you another question regarding this.

What do you find most profitting? 1X2 or over 2.5 / under 2.5 or handicap?

By looking at over/under you got 50/50 but with 1X2 only 33% chance. So actually Im thinking over the long term over/under gives best odds and better chances.

For example today Amiens play vs Carefour - its pretty good odds around 1.4 for under 2.5 so you might have more than the 50% chance of it being under.

But all in all - I know so many in here has been here for a long time and betting for a long time. Please share your best tips and experiences to others who wanna try to learn from the best.

happysmile
Listed Class
Tips

Postby happysmile » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:56 pm

By searching out I find a nice article if anyone interested with some tips.

"Here are our Top 10 Tips:
1. What is your perception of being rich?

What is your acceptable level of wealth before you consider yourself rich? Without knowing the answer to this question, you will not be able to set wealth targets or plan for how much money you wish to earn over the time period you have set yourself. Obviously, the answers are different for everyone but the question is relevant to us all.
2. “SMARTâ€￾ targets

Success with online betting should be planned for as thoroughly as setting-up a business. It requires a well-thought out and methodical approach. There is no get-rich-quick scheme or system and commitment to your chosen strategy must be long-term. Targets must be ‘SMART’: Specific; Measurable; Achievable; Realistic; Timed.
3. Start-up capital

Like a business, money is needed and we recommend no less than £1,000 GBP if you are serious. You will need to open accounts with at least one of the major betting exchanges, Betfair or Betdaq in order to place ‘lay’ bets, and perhaps up to 20 bookmakers to give the widest possible choice when placing ‘back’ bets. You can easily convert many bookmaker bonuses (free bets) into cash without risk using matched betting strategies in order to boost the size of your war chest and this is where we would recommend you begin. Ultimately, you will need many bookmakers accounts in order to spread your success and minimise the chances of being blacklisted by them for being too successful.
4. Understand the different types of bets

Absolute clarity and grasp of the differences between back and Lay bets is needed and this is especially the case when trading or hedging for a profit with little or no intended risk of loss involved.
5. Excel spreadsheet competence

A strong knowledge of Excel spreadsheets is also recommended in order to calculate formulae, staking plans, winnings, effects of betting exchange commissions (i.e. their slice of your winnings), and also to record your results to remain focused on how well the ‘business’ is performing. How do you get rich with a business? You become rich by constantly monitoring and evaluating performance and fine-tuning trading areas that require improvement. What is going right; what is going wrong? Without a spreadsheet or copious written records, you will not be able to tell and “How do you get richâ€￾ will have had no chance of a solution from the start.
6. Enough knowledge to recognise a ‘value’ bet

Absolute knowledge of what a ‘value’ bet is and how to calculate value bets using statistics is paramount in order to add the ‘edge’ that you will need in order to compete with the bookmakers on level ground. Only a very few, gifted people ever become rich gambling on gut-feeling alone. You can learn about statistics and value bets here.
7. Staking plans

Are also essential in order to complement the value betting process. Read more about them here and another general article here. Without a staking plan, betting, however you perform it, will be directionless, unreliable and unrewarding. The staking plan will also help minimise losses and keep your bank trading for as long as possible, seeing out any troughs before peaks can once again be enjoyed and progress made. “How do you get richâ€￾ is going to be a roller-coaster ride, full of highs and lows.
8. Identify your target leagues and do your homework

we only tend to bet on leagues as cup matches are too volatile with many upsets or giant-killings. Which leagues do you want to research? guide to worldwide football leagues available for betting purposes is available for free download here. Do your homework; is there liquidity with the bookmakers for the markets you have chosen to allow the size of bets you wish to make?
9. Be disciplined and patient

Start by stop asking yourself for solutions to “how do you get rich?â€￾. There is an established theory that if you put 10,000 hours of your time into a project and really apply yourself to it, then invariably 100% success will follow.
10. Never chase losses and never gamble tired or drunk

A fool and his money are easily parted. Never gamble more than you can afford to lose. If you are gambling because you are desperate to earn money then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. If you enjoy the buzz and have decided to adopt a business-like approach to securing a regular income then you have a chance of succeeding. Keep financial records, just in case the taxman needs answers as to how you became rich! (We are being serious here!)."

cairod
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby cairod » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works: if you're making 30k per annum (or even quite a bit less) surely the betting companies would close your account and tell you to clear off. So I'm guessing exchanges are the only way you could do this long term?

dilstondave
Listed Class
Tips

Postby dilstondave » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 pm

If you are betting on an exchange you are effectively being a bookmaker, and as many bookmakers make (on the whole) big profits then it is possible to make a living from betting.

HOWEVER..... You would need a 7 figure pot to have any real impact and a little bit of luck on your initial ventures.

Eventually the good teams will win more than they lose and visa versa. The top tennis players will win more games than they lose...etc etc. BUT, if you go big on one of those occasions when there is a blip you could very easily blow your big pot and will be forever playing catch-up which is a dangerous if not fatal error.

In summary... you need enough cash to bankroll a large scale operation and you need the discipline (and bankroll) to absorb any anomalies and therefore have no need to chase losses.

buzacky
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby buzacky » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Yeah back Man City,Barcelona,Atletico Madrid & Bayern Munich to win at Home.

Not one of the above teams have dropped a single point at Home this season.

DAVIDADAN
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby DAVIDADAN » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works: if you're making 30k per annum (or even quite a bit less) surely the betting companies would close your account and tell you to clear off. So I'm guessing exchanges are the only way you could do this long term?
Just to highlight after 26 years of betting, i have experienced the thrills,highs and lows,small stake multiple wins and losses,plus big stake singles losing & wins,and my advice is when you make something an income option, it all goes pear shaped! Enjoy your betting, and keep it within your budget, have a separate betting bank!

We can all tell our many stories, how it can change lives, though only 12 months ago i hit an over 10 goal thriller involving Arsenal, after laying in the King George, then was hit for premium charges by Betfair! Missed out on 1/4 Million on the Breeders Cup meeting acca for the sake of not religiously doing a 10p e/w acca, some years ago despite winning 30 x my stake! A real choker i can tell you, when an unexpected windfall comes your way, it is not that easy! We are all learning every day life and sport throws a shock our way!

Don,t pressure yourself, if it was only that simple there would be nobody working, nor existing in the betting industry my OLBG fellow members, it will only lead to heartache!