Review on 1st round games, And KO stages.

jamjack
2yo
Tips

Postby jamjack » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Apparently there's a theory that the heat does cause more goals because players’ energy levels are dropping dramatically leading to more mistakes and more goals.

"Already 24 goals have been scored by substitutes, a tally which breaks the record of 23 scored by players coming off the bench set in the whole of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

At the same time the United States became the fifth team to have lost their next game after playing in the oppressive conditions in the Amazonian capital of Manaus."

Something to do with glycogen levels in the players' blood. Might be worth looking at teams that have played in hot conditions then betting against them in their next game?

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:58 pm

The seven 2nd round matches played so far have produced 6 half time scorelines of 1-0 or 0-0 with the last 5 matches have all been 0-0 at half time, those statistics I posted on the blog and referred to on here really couldn't have worked out any stronger really, it's either going to end up 6 from 8 or 7 from 8 with matches 1-0 or 0-0 at half time in the 2nd round, the figure was 71% before the 2nd round matches and it's gone even higher.

hopefully this has helped others out. :win:
Loving it on OLBG, on twitter @tbuckleythinks :

Top 10 Football Tip markets

Football Tips Strategy to Win

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Every match so far in the last 16 has been a tight affair, we need to remember this when England are 4/7 to beat Greece/Switzerland/Algeria/etc in the future.

The heat has played a part but Argentina were stifled by the Swiss, Algeria were unlucky against the Germans, every game has been tight.

Well organised teams can frustrate and there are no easy games with so much to play for.

whatarethechances
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby whatarethechances » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:44 am

I'd suggest that another thing to remember for future World Cups is just how difficult it is to spring a shock result in the Last 16.

If we consider that the "Elite" international sides in this years L16 were Brazil, Holland, Argentina, Germany and France, all of them went through. The non-elite sides they played performed, collectively, far better than normal, managing almost as many draws against their "Elite" opponents as we have seen in such match-ups in the Last16 stage of the last 5 World Cups combined. It still wasn't enough for them.

deswalker
Legend
Tips

Postby deswalker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:03 am

I think you are misunderstanding the value of chance in these results whatarethechances.

No doubt whatsoever that Holland were lucky to get through in full time, Brazil were matched closely throughout the game against Chile and Germany were made to look ordinary for long periods against Algeria.

I don't buy into this "Elite" concept at all. What is the criteria for admission into this club?

:?
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

Follow me on Twitter: @Nick_Crossland

arniehi
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby arniehi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Even then, it should be considered that both Holland and France were not the seeded teams in their group. The 'elite' status they have is more from reputation than anything else.

Also, had Drmic not wasted so many chances, Switzerland would likely have beaten Argentina. Belgium, were it not for Howard, would have coasted past the USA in normal time. Algeria, but for Neuer playing the best sweeper-keeper game I've ever seen, could have surprised. Nigeria, had their 'offside' goal been given, or Enyeama not flapped at that cross, who knows what would have happened? Chile were inches away from winning in extra time, smashing the bar, and their penalty to lose the match came off the inside of the post. That's after they replaced Vidal (one of the best penalty takers in the world) and Vargas (another of their primary takers).

Football matches are often determined on fine lines. I'd say Chile were the most unlucky team in defeat, though Switzerland really could/should have done better against what looked a poor Argentina display.

I certainly don't buy into the knockout games being boring. Sure, many didn't contain the goals we saw in the group stages but some of that was down to amazing goalkeeping performances (Navas for Costa Rica, both keepers in the Germany vs. Algeria game, Enyeama for Nigeria and Howard for the USA). Some of the finishing was really poor too, particular from Drmic who had a shocker in front of goal.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Some interesting comments there guys, now that we are left with the so called 8 best nations in the world, does anybody agree with me on the thought that all 4 games are likely to see goals in them?

I can see at least 6 if the 8 scoring inside 90 minutes

Brazil, Colombia, France, Germany, Holland & Argentina despite some poor stuff from many of these teams in round 2.

Looking back at previous world cups, most winners have at least 1 poor game in the tournament and struggle to get a result, looking at the last 4 winners

Spain lost to Switzerland in group

Italy beat Australia in the last minute of extra time and beat France on penalties

Brazil had to rely on good old England to give them a hand

France had to wina penalty shoot out

All the above nations then played better and went onto win

I am looking forward to these 4 games and expect at least 2/3 goals per game

deswalker
Legend
Tips

Postby deswalker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Sure, many didn't contain the goals we saw in the group stages but some of that was down to amazing goalkeeping performances (Navas for Costa Rica, both keepers in the Germany vs. Algeria game, Enyeama for Nigeria and Howard for the USA)
Ochoa of course as well.. its been fantastic for goalkeeper displays!

The best thing about this final 8 is that I genuinely do think we have got the best 7 sides in the World at the moment (plus Costa Rica, not saying anything against them). Everyone agree?

:?
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

Follow me on Twitter: @Nick_Crossland

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:10 pm

is that I genuinely do think we have got the best 7 sides in the World at the moment (plus Costa Rica, not saying anything against them). Everyone agree?
Yes i agree, we have got best 7 sides in World at moment.

Belguim and Columbia my dark horses. :yes:

Agree 2 bout Costa Rica, could they upset Netherlands :?
Great QF line up, cant wait...

nilsy21
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby nilsy21 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:28 pm

I am looking for an improved attacking display against Costa Rica from Holland. I believe the dutch will want this game over by half time. This will enable Robben to take an early bath. Keep him fresh for the big boys. Van Persie will be dreaming of the golden boot seeing as his main rivals bar Rodriguez failed to add to their tallys.....Three guesses who i backed pre tournament lol