Daily Thread - Russia KHL Betting 2016-2017

stretchpaul
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Daily Thread - Russia KHL Betting 2016-2017

Postby stretchpaul » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 am

2 great winners yesterday.A crucial day in the penultimate round of matches coming up today as the KHL reaches fever pitch for some teams.All eyes will be on Jokerit,Sochi,Kunlun,Vladivostok and Novosibirsk to see if they can make the play offs.I fully expect these teams to be involved in some high scoring games as they go for broke to get the crucial 3 points needed.A loss for any of these and its likely to be curtains for their play off chances as we only have 1 round of games left.

So we will be going for goals for 2 of these teams and try to take advantage of high odds from the bookies.

St Petersburg vs Sochi - Sochi OVER 2.5 goals@2.95

St Petersburg,comfortably making the play offs some time ago have taken the foot off their gas pedal and have lost 3 of their last 5 games.Normally they can easily beat a team like Sochi at home but only when they need points.Sochi simply have no choice but to try and get 3 points.They are 5 points behind Jokerit and need them to slip up too to try and catch them in the last game.They have won 3 of their last 4 matches and 4 of their last 5 away games so they are in decent form.They have scored 3 or more goals in each of their last 3 matches and 3 of their last 5 away games.St Petersburg have conceded 3 or more goals in 4 of their last 5 matches.At almost 3/1 it is worth a punt given what is at stake.

Yarolslavl vs Kunlun - Kunlun OVER 2.5 goals@3.15

Again its a team that has made the play offs against one desperate to win.Yaroslavl are going to be strong play off contenders with their excellent defensive play.However teams have found a way to get through it recently.They have lost 2 of their last 4 home games and have conceded 3 or more goals in 3 of those games too.Kunlun will want to make the play offs in their debut season and will go for broke in this game.If they lose this one they might have a dead rubber in their last game.They have scored 3 or more goals in 3 of their last 5 matches and each of their last 2 away games.Fantastic odds again for what is at stake here.

You might want to also have a punt on other teams to score a few goals that are chasing play offs points too but these are my selections so good luck if you do so!

stretchpaul
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stretchpaul » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:40 am

There is only 1 game been played today in the KHL.It has no bearing on the play offs as both teams have qualified for it.It is the final game for these 2 sides in regulation.It is however very significant for 1 legendary player.

Magnitogorsk vs Chelyabinsk - MOZYAKIN,Segei to be ANYTIME SCORER@1.75

Mozyakin is now on 48 goals,a record for regulation in the KHL.No doubt he will score more in the forthcoming play offs.But he will surely like to get to 50 before then and set a record that will be very hard to beat.All his team mates will do all they can to give him the puck to achieve this landmark.The bookies think he will do it too as he is odds on to score.

I have also placed a small stake on him getting the last goal in the match @6.10 which offers great value.

Tomorrow is the final regulation matches of the season with still some play off places to be decided...

stretchpaul
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stretchpaul » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 am

Its the last day of regulation in the KHL and play off places are still up for grabs.Any 2 from Kunlun,Valdivostok and Novosibirsk will make it and 1 will miss out.All 3 will be going for broke and so backing them to score goals is the sensible option.

Dynamo vs Kunlun - Kunlun OVER 2 goals@2.15

Kunlun have the hardest game of the 3 challengers but they wont give in and will want to make the play offs in their debut season.They have scored 3 or more goals in 2 of their last 3 matches.

Podolsk vs Valdivostok - Vladivostok OVER 2.5 goals@1.61

Valdivostok dont have an easy game either but are capable of getting goals a plenty albeit conceding at the same time.Their away form is poor though but I am sure they will play last ditch tactics and go for broke.

Ekaterinburg vs Novosibirsk - Novosibirsk OVER 2 goals@1.81

Novosibirsk will really fancy their chances as they face a weaker side compared to the other 2 contenders.They have to win though and hope at least 1 of the others lose.

stretchpaul
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stretchpaul » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:24 am

The KHL play offs start today and 16 teams are all thinking of glory.I will not be tipping individual matches like I have been though as normally the play offs are very hard to predict on a game basis.So I will be instead giving my thoughts as to which team will progress to the next stage.

The way it works is like this.

The 16 teams have been drawn into pairs and each pair will play each other until 1 team has won 4 matches.The winners progress to the next stage and losers will be eliminated.So its the best of 7 games.They play every 2 days and will be sick of the sight of each other if it goes the full 7 games for sure.

Here is the draw along with my thoughts as to who will progress.I find the prices to progress to the next stage can be more appealing than backing individual teams to win,score etc.

CSKA vs Jokerit - CSKA to progress@1.10

CSKA can be considered one of the favorites to win the play offs after winning the Western Conference with a jostle with St Petersburg.Tight at home,they don't give much away.Jokerit had a poor season compared to last and just squeezed into the play offs in the penultimate game.

St Petersburg vs Podolsk - St Petersburg to progress@1.03

The most prolific scorers in the league by far,St Petersburg swept away almost all before them and only had 1 poor run of form which when recovered they did not look back.My favorite to win the play offs too.Podolsk had a great run of form to make the play offs but will be not happy with having to face this side and I give them little chance to win 4 games at all.

Dynamo vs Novgorod - Dynamo to progress@1.55

Dynamo had a so so season up until Xmas then found the goal a lot to win games galore.They are a strong attacking side that should be a match for most teams.Novgorod do struggle in away games and that reason is enough to suggest they wont get any further in the play offs.

Yaroslavl vs Minsk - Minsk to progress@2.80

Yaroslavl have a wonderful back line that don't concede many goals but they do not often win games by a big score.Minsk have impressed me this season and in away games are very good on the counter.Could be an upset here and I think Minsk could progress.

Magnitogorsk vs Kunlun - Magnitogorsk to progress@1.07

Magnitogorsk won the Eastern Conference thanks mainly to their superstar forward Mozyakin who hit an amazing 48 goals in regulation.He is always going to be a strong reason for his team to win against anyone.Kunlun will be playing in the play offs in their debut season and made it by the skin of their teeth.I cannot see them been so lucky against this side over 7 matches.

Omsk vs Vladivostok - Omsk to progress@1.15

Omsk have a relatively easy team as Vladivostok are very hot and cold.Omsk were impressive at home in regulation and should be able to beat the team from far east Russia.Vladivostok concede plenty on the road and are another team than scrapped into the play offs on the last day.Would be a major shock if they got through this.

Kazan vs Ufa - Ufa to progress@2.32

I have said before that Kazan do not have the team to last the pace.Only when all their best players are fit can they challenge most sides.Ufa I feel are a better side and although I do not think they will reach the final,they should be good enough to beat Kazan over 7 games.

Chelyabinsk vs Astana - Astana to progress@2.40

Chelyabinsk ended the season with a good winning run but the same can be said of Astana.Nigel Dawes was the 2nd top scorer in regulation and he could be the difference over 7 games.Astana started the season poorly but ended regulation in great form.They can nick this although it will be close and might go the full 7 matches.

After all the play off round matches have been completed I will asses the quarter final match ups.

stretchpaul
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stretchpaul » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:53 am

The first play off round matches have now all been completed and we are now down to the last 8 teams.We managed to correctly get 6 winners to progress from the 8 games which is not too bad at all.Now it gets interesting as most of the teams left are the best sides in the league.

Here are my predicts for the last 8 which start tomorrow.Once again it is the first team to win 4 games with the winners getting a place in the semi finals.

Magnitogorsk vs Astana

Magnitogorsk to progress@1.10

Magnitogorsk did not have much to worry about in their last round with a 4-1 win over Kunlun.They will be favorites to win this play off too.Astana as I tipped got through in their last round against Chelyabinsk but Magnitogorsk are a step up from them and I think Astana will be very lucky to win 4 games against them.

Omsk vs Kazan

Omsk to progress@1.73

Omsk had a fright against Vladivostok but managed to overcome them 4-2 after a spectacular collapse from Vladivostok which really has been the story of their season.Now they face a much more defensive side in Kazan who comfortably got through 4-1 against lacklustre Ufa.When teams beat Kazan they always have to work hard and I think Omsk will have to do just that to progress.A game likely to go the full 7 games.

CSKA vs Yaroslavl

CSKA to progress@1.25

Wow a big match up here as two of the heavyweights of the KHL face off.CSKA had a clean sweep of poor Jokerit in the last round 4-0 and Yaroslavl beat Minsk 4-1.This one will surely go 6 or 7 games.CSKA are very strong at home but Yaroslavl are capable of grinding out wins too.Very close but going for CSKA to just nick it.

St Petersburg vs Dynamo

St Petersburg to progress@1.10

Would take a brave man to back against the best team in the league.St Petersburg destroyed Podolsk 4-0 scoring 3-7-6-7 goals and frankly anyone facing them have little chance.Dynamo are better than Podolsk,certainly offensively but it took OT in 4 of their games to beat Novgorod and no way will St Petersburg be so generous.

stretchpaul
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stretchpaul » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 pm

The semi final play off places have now been decided and we have two shock teams that progressed in Yaroslavl and Kazan who both overcame strongly fancied CSKA and plucky Omsk.So we only got 2 of the 4 predicts correct as the other 2 big guns of St Petersburg and Magnitogorsk had so such problems progressing.

So the line up for the semi finals is looking interesting indeed.I suspect that the 2 conference winners will make it each to the final to play each other although we have had a few surprises so far so we shall see.

St Petersburg vs Yaroslavl - St Petersburg to qualify@1.16

It would be a huge shock if St Petersburg fail to beat Yaroslavl over 7 games.In 9 play off matches they have lost just once which was a very unlucky defeat to Dynamo.They are no match for anyone it seems as they effortlessly brush aside each opponent.Yaroslavl did amazingly well to beat CSKA 4-2 in the last play off series round but I cannot see them doing the same again.They lost 7-1 to St Petersburg in the league at home although they did beat them when St Petersburg were going through their only sticky patch.I think St Petersburg will get the 4 wins win games to spare to reach the final.

Magnitogorsk vs Kazan - Magnitogorsk to qualify@tbc

Like St Petersburg,Magnitogorsk lost only 1 play off match from 9 played.They beat Astana 4-0 scoring at least 3 goals each game and beat Kunlun with ease 4-1 in the first play off series.Mozyakin has only scored 3 goals in the play off matches after an amazing 48 goals in regulation season.So perhaps he is saving himself for this or indeed the final.Kazan surely wont get any further now.They have lost 3 play off matches,more than any of the remaining 4 and I cannot see them getting 4 wins over this team.Magnitogorsk won 1 and drew the other league meeting with Kazan and I suspect they will be happy to face these rather than either of the other 2 sides.

stretchpaul
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stretchpaul » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:27 am

So now we know who the two finalists are going to be.It is the two sides that have been probably the best two sides in the KHL this season.St Petersburg face off against Magnitogorsk on Saturday in a best of 7 series games.So who will be the winner?

It is hard to look past St Petersburg.I have said all along,right from the start of this thread that they will be one of the best sides this season.What I dd not know is just how good they would end up being.Apart from a tiny blip of form just after Xmas when they lost 5 of 6 games,they have been pretty much invincible,sweeping all before them aside.They scored 244 league,51 more than Magnitogorsk who was the next best scorers.Players like Dadanov and Kovalchuk excelled in the scoring charts and their backline conceded no more than 5 goals in a match and that was only 4 times in a 60 game regulation season.In the play offs they lost just once in 13 matches.They are probably the best team in Europe right now.

Magnitogorsk have their superstar forward Mozyakin to thank for their progress this season.He may be 36 now but wow he scored 48 goals in regulation season which is a record.He was also top scorer in season 2013,2014 and 2016 so has been leading scorer in 4 of the last 5 seasons.In 2015 he was 4th best and he considers that a 'failure'.In this season's play offs he was a little slow to start scoring but he still ended up getting 6 goals as Magnitogorsk lost just 1 game in 13 matches.

When these two have played each other this season is is very close.Just 2 meetings,one which St Petersburg won 4-2 and the other which Magnitogorsk won on pens after a thrilling 4-4 draw.

So it might be hard to separate the two of them but my gut feeling is that St Petersburg,if they can stop Mozyakin over the series from scoring too many and if they are allowed to play their normal attacking hockey,then they should be good enough to win the series.

You can get 1.44 on St Petersburg to win the series or if you fancy the outsider,then you can get 2.70 on Magnitogorsk to claim a shock win.

This will be my last post in this,hope you made some money like I did through using it.It shows that the KHL can be a money maker as well as a great spectacle.

Next season I will start a new thread and will be following the UK Elite league which should start around September time.See you then!