OFL VIII - WEEK 1

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Re: OFL VIII - WEEK 1

Postby Jim Brown » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 pm

I have switched off for the night ...
What? The sun's still out in the UK, and I'm only having my lunch here! LOL :P :P

MESSAGE FOR ALL HEAD COACHES!
Guys, do me a favour if you feel up to it. I'm doing something a little different for the game previews this seasons. If anyone wants to give me a post-game quote any time during the season that will add to what I am trying to do. If you have a post-game quote (serious, funny, tongue in cheek - it's all good!) then please PM that to me after your game(s) each week. You don't have to, but if you do I'll make sure it gets used! :win:
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

johno
At Stud
Tips

Postby johno » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 pm

I have switched off for the night and won't get into it now, but the red flag thrown by the Colts will be looked at and explained tomorrow. The Commissioner has received the red flag from the Colts HC, but OFL HQ has retired for the night.

However at the moment, the scoreline as published stands and is correct. 25-20 Pirates.
31 is not 10% or within 10% of 35.

35 - 3.5 = 31.5 or 31/35 = 0.88

so 35 - 3.5 = 31.5 so then round down for fine measure in this instance. Rounding up or down has always been 0-4 and 5-9.

This game is all about fine margins, and obviously formulas that need a look at in these instances. For it to stand, we are now saying you can have 3pts for 12%??
What's the point if it isn't exactly right when the effort we all put in, makes it vital.
Last edited by johno on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLBG since 2005

SUPERBOLBG VII CHAMPIONS
AFC South Champions Season 6 & 7
NFC South Champions Season 4

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks, Raider, enjoyable first week for me, easy to say when you get the W, but even when I thought I had lost, I was enjoying the different perspective it gave me when watching the games on Sunday. Cheers to the commish for the chance to take part

As we have said here many times before: Your Sundays Will Never be the Same
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Read My Blogs on OLBG

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm

I have switched off for the night and won't get into it now, but the red flag thrown by the Colts will be looked at and explained tomorrow. The Commissioner has received the red flag from the Colts HC, but OFL HQ has retired for the night.

However at the moment, the scoreline as published stands and is correct. 25-20 Pirates.
Pick that red flag up and throw it straight in the bin. Commissioner is always right. He should have points taken off for challenging your authority - it's like a tactical review in cricket knowing you'll get an extra one in an over's time anyways. He's wasting my time. Your time, and the whole of the OFL's time! If you could offer up suspensions, now is the time to do so! :lol: :P :lol:

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:06 pm

I can barely walk...I have been abused!!!

I deserved a good hiding for that last quarter prediction. I still have no idea what I was thinking, my only thought is somehow between reading the questions and answering it I'v gone for what both teams would score in the highest scoring games. Regardless, my own fault. Well played Maulers, you laid the wood!

johno
At Stud
Tips

Postby johno » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Pick that red flag up and throw it straight in the bin. Commissioner is always right. He should have points taken off for challenging your authority - it's like a tactical review in cricket knowing you'll get an extra one in an over's time anyways. He's wasting my time. Your time, and the whole of the OFL's time! If you could offer up suspensions, now is the time to do so! :lol: :P :lol:
You've got that right, this isnt cricket!
Haha and I thought you'd offer a TIE. Pirates code and all that :D have you forgotten your ''we've lost statement'' after you worked out the scores too. just been back-tracked/sunk to the bottom of the ocean has it lol? injustice! meh pirates :cool: you'd take a win however you can get it. congrats 3pts for 12% and not 10.
Never trust a pirate, using cricket terminology meh lol :eyebrows: :P
OLBG since 2005

SUPERBOLBG VII CHAMPIONS
AFC South Champions Season 6 & 7
NFC South Champions Season 4

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Jim Brown » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Week two previews are going to be HILARIOUS! :lol: :lol: :lol:
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Read My Blogs on OLBG

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 am

You've got that right, this isnt cricket!
Haha and I thought you'd offer a TIE. Pirates code and all that :D have you forgotten your ''we've lost statement'' after you worked out the scores too. just been back-tracked/sunk to the bottom of the ocean has it lol? injustice! meh pirates :cool: you'd take a win however you can get it. congrats 3pts for 12% and not 10.
Never trust a pirate, using cricket terminology meh lol :eyebrows: :P

We have years of precedent to follow. It's always been rounded up. Tbh I forgot what I predicted but glad to get the W even though question marks will be raised throughout the season over the manner of the victory. A win is a win however, and the Pirates top their division ;)

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm blaming the loss of the juggernauts on the fact that chip had us playing at last year's location of hangar 9 rather than hell highway ....

Totally not the headcoaches fault :P

Chipmonkadidooda
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Chipmonkadidooda » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Right the fall out and the update will be following in due course. Behind the scenes it has been an explosive week 1! :no:

Updates to follow in the next hour or so.
SUPERBOLBG Creator & Commissioner!
SUPERBOLBG V WORLD CHAMPIONS!
2x NFC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

OFL WEBSITE HERE!
http://superbolbg.weebly.com/

Read my BLOGS here!
http://www.olbg.com/blogs/Chipmonkadidooda

Chipmonkadidooda
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Chipmonkadidooda » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm

OFL Headquarters Red-Flag decision

3 teams across week 1 on Sunday predicted 31 and 1 team predicted 39 for Quarter 2. The answer resulted in 35 - 4 away. Initially the call was made to give a fiedgoal for the prediction of being 4 away. This was given due to the OFL database having a failsafe in a formula which basically gives 10% +1 to the score. This gives a little leeway when we have large score predictions (usually predictions above 50 as that counteracts the .5 problem which we have here. When numbers are low the 10% +1 is disabled manually, but there is no hard and fast rule on what numbers it applies to and which numbers it doesn't - it depends on the circumstances.

As precedents are in effect here it has always been the case to APPLY the disabling of the 10% +1 to numbers this small.......last night it wasn't applied as an error.

Precedent - Season 6, Week 9

What you see here circled is the 'N' being applied to disable the +1 due to the number being low. This alters the green and red numbers below the answer to give the outer limits of which predictions count toward bonus points. As you can see in this instance the 'N' is applied and the makes the upper limit for 10% at 38 and the lower limit for 10% at 32 - 3 away.

Last night - Season 8 Week 1

Last night as can be seen the 'N' wasn't applied. This cause the formula to work on 10% +1 giving upper limit of 39 and lower limit of 31. This meant 4 teams got an extra 3 points (PAIN, BOBCATS, PIRATES & GOLDHAWKS)

Once applied it changes the limits to 38 and 32, thus taking away the extra 3 points from the 4 teams above. This has no effect on the result for the PAIN@BOBCATS as they both lose 3 points and has no effect on the result for the GOLDHAWKS who won 41-0. The PIRATES@COLTS result however has been overturned as a result of this as the PIRATES lose 3 points and the COLTS have gained 3 points from the DETROIT LIONS scoring a FG on the armoury cards which was outstanding to be added. PIRATES 22@23 COLTS.

As an additional change, the CRAIGO PATRIOTS were given a BULLSEYE for Q2 with a prediction 1 away (due to the +1 rule not being added). This has been reduced to a prediction within 10% - 3 points. It does not affect the result ORANGEMEN 7@27 PATRIOTS

Decision final.

On a personal note, my apologies for this, but I was knackered last night and it was an oversight. I clearly stated on the thread when I popped back on following a number of PM's from Johno that for now the result stood, but I would look at it tomorrow. Clearly some were not happy with this. I love the fact that people take this seriously and put a lot of effort in, however at it's heart this is supposed to be fun. I run this night after night after night for 6 months solid and am only human - there are bound to be the odd mistakes given the amount of work this takes to maintain and if anyone wants to take it over to the same level be my guest. If I was being paid a fortune to run it with a team of analysts on hand it would likely be a different story!!!!!

It's a game, no one's life is on the line and no-one's losing any jobs over it.

:win:

OFL WEBSITE HERE!

Read my BLOGS here!

Chipmonkadidooda
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Chipmonkadidooda » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

WEEK 1 RESULTS

RAI…27@30…DAN(OT) (RESULT)
What a week 1 scalp for our rookie franchise taking down one of the AFC's heavyweights! We're tied at 27-27 going into the final few plays and the Bobcats fail to win it in regulation with the Broncos defence in MNF, but despite that we go into overtime and the Bobcats are kicking the fieldgoal on the count-back rules (Pain 65 away, Bobcats 3 away). The Bobcats are off to a winning start and the magnificent season start the Pain enjoyed last season is not going to be replicated just yet!

STA…27@14…JAY (RESULT)
Rookie year awesome, sophomore year shocking! 3rd year for the Comancheros? On this showing we might be on the way back up! A touchdown and a fieldgoal in the 1st quarter is nullified by a 14 point haul from the Juggernauts before half time with the aid of an offence card had this one close at half-time. The 2nd half however was all Comancheros and this road win snaps a 6 game losing streak overall from last season and a 4 game losing streak on the road. The Comacheros ride again! Juggernauts will not have wanted this in their opening beau under new team colours.

STE…22@17…ARN (RESULT)
This is gonna hurt the Terminators if the armouries outstanding don't turn this around! The Terminators trail by 1 score and going into the 4th quarter they were leading this 15-17. As the 4th quarter prediction finished at 166 it meant the defending NFC Champions were 20 away and the Terminators were 22 away!!!! It doesn't take long to underline the motto about fine, fine margins in the OFL determining games! Just 2 more yards and this was the Terminators to lose tonight. As it is the Beths Bills get their defence off to the perfect start!

SEV…17@14…CAR (RESULT)
The Bengals are winning this down the stretch and it's a massive armoury pick for the Bengals that seals the win here as the Steelers haul in 7 points on the Sacks & Ints and take a touchdown away from the Riverkings. After the Bengals horror start last season this is just what they would have wanted. Even the Hail Mary wasn't needed in the final few minutes!

UND…30@0…HOG (RESULT)
What a start for the Indians here! The Pig Sty is actually a terrible hunting ground for them with only 1 win in 7 attempts here, but they open their defense of the title with a huge moral victory over their divisional rivals. The Indians win 3 quarters and tie the other in the 3rd quarter and even despite a defensive stand in the 2nd quarter from the Swines who prevented a TD, the Indians get a huge shut-out win! Even the Jaguars weigh in for the Indians taking away the only Swines score on the night! It's the 7th time the Indians have shut-out an opponent on the road which equals the OFL record!

RJH…7@27…CRA (RESULT)
The Orangemen wanted last minute playbook changes, but it possibly wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome here as the Patriots win 3 out of 4 quarters including a bullseye just before half time. The Orangemen rally after half time, but they can't bridge the gap and the Patriots actually win on the opening day for the 4th time in 5 seasons and as another quirk this is the 3rd time in history that the Orangemen have faced the Patriots on opening weekend! Patriots lead that head to head 2-1.

DAN…22@23…JOH (RESULT)
There's controversy all over the boards on the night of the 1st weekend and it comes at one of the bitterest rivalries in the OFL which doesn't help. With the amendment to Q2 this one goes the way of the Champions, but it's left a sour taste across the OFL and the commissioners table. Apologies aside we need to move on quickly here. On the face of without the fall-out it's actually won through the armoury placement of the Colts with the Detroit Lions who give the Colts a fieldgoal to take them squeeking past the Pirates.

LAZ…0@44…GEC (RESULT)
It's the blowout of the night as the Wizards of Oz start the season with their 3rd biggest win in their 7 year history! Counter that with the biggest defeat EVER for the 76ers! The 76ers have no answer for the a clean sweep of scoring for the 6ers as they hit two within 10% and back up one of those with an offence armoury card in garbage time in the 4th quarter! The 76ers went 4-0 last season before their first loss. Not this season.

AWA…25@13…SUP (RESULT)
Another rookie performance to stand out as the new Cowboys headcoach goes to the Concordes and despite a slow start which saw them trail to a touchdown and a fieldgoal in the 1st they run all over the Concordes for the rest of the night and even finish off the game with a bullseye in the 4th quarter! Can't ask for much more than that for your first outing in the OFL. TheAwayTeam are true to their name in week 1!

DEV…24@30…GJA (RESULT)
If the Tykes are going to live up to the hype they have to win these games. At half-time the expectation was being underlined as the Tykes led 27-0! The Helldwellers fought this one back however and in the end the Tykes hold on to an opening day win. It was much closer than the Tykes might have wanted it. Had Q4 been 4 less this would have been the Helldwellers greatest ever comeback win! As it is the Tykes hold out.

KAN…22@10…ABE (RESULT)
It's a low scoring affair at the Minefield as 8 predictions between the 2 yield only 2 hits within 10% and the A'Bombs put up a defensive stance in the 2nd quarter. The A'Bombs much touted armoury card quintet does give them some points in the opener here with the Bills on defence, but it doesn't turn a loss into a win here. Bears open their account.

GMA…7@48…GIN (RESULT)
BOOM! The Maulers went to the playoffs last season and on this showing they're going further this time around. Quarter 1 - BULLSEYE! Quarter 2 - BULLSEYE! Quarter 4 within 10% with an offence card! The Apaches completely helpless to avoid a rout here! Maulers on fire to start the season! For the record the Apaches still have the Los Angeles Chargers in play on defensive points, but they ain't altering this one!

JJ…0@41…BOR (RESULT)
Now this one will bring the Jedi Knights down to reality! The GoldHawks hit 2 quarters within 10% and shut-out the Jedi Knights in their opening account in the OFL. The OFL can be cruel and it can be a steep learning curve. The Jedi Knights just had both. It's a blown playbook in both the 1st and 2nd quarters and that's all the GoldHawks need here to wrap this one up. Better days will come for the Jedi Knights. As it stands this weekend the GoldHawks top the NFC West for the first time in their history!!! They are the only team to win in the division on the opening weekend. This is the Goldhawks biggest ever win in the OFL. The night to forget for the Knights.

CHI…27@23…TOU (RESULT)
This one was a close one. The Chargers hugely relieved to come away from the Hawks Nest with a massive 'W'. This one came down the final quarter as the RedHawks hauled in 20 points in the 3rd quarter with a prediction within 1 to make this spicy! No matter which headcoach is at the helm, the Chargers savour wins over the RedHawks and will take this. Promising start from the new RedHawks headcoach it has to be said though! Tough match up finishes on the side of the Chargers by just 4.

JIM…20@7…THE (RESULT)
Well the honours were shared on the quarter count as both the Tartans and the Flaming W's took 2 each, but the crooks of this contest came down to the armoury cards as the Tartans take off a touchdown AND and fieldgoal from the W's. You get the feeling armouries are going to play a bigger part in preceedings this season. The scoreline maybe doesn't reflect how close this one was. Texan Tartans off to a winning start for the 4th year in a row.

BRU…20@30…TIT (RESULT)
And another one for the fine margins bulletin! These 2 go into the final quarter separated by just a fieldgoal and both have similar predictions separated by only 3 points. As the 4th quarter tally rises with every point scored by the LA Rams in the later game the total creeps over the 157 of Brummie and on above 160 of the Argonauts and with the Argonauts do what they couldn't do in their opening season last year and win on day 1! The Argos went 0-4 to start last season - not this time around!

:win:

OFL WEBSITE HERE!

Read my BLOGS here!