Washington Redskins - Team Focus

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Next up are the Cowboys. I'll do a deeper piece in the next few days but being at home and having Romo gone for the year looks like a big advantage to the Redskins. However, Redskins - Cowboys games are never predictable and always capable of throwing up a shock - I'll put money Jim Brown throws the Cowboys in his underdog blog this week :wink:
I don't know what you mean by that at all, Gman :P

You'll just have to wait and see lol. I was truly surprised you went for the Giants last week, to be honest. I felt the Skins had a clear upper hand with home venue - which they've shown time and time again this season - but I understand the points you made. It made me look twice at my view on the match but in the end I did stick with the Skins.
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Next up are the Cowboys. I'll do a deeper piece in the next few days but being at home and having Romo gone for the year looks like a big advantage to the Redskins. However, Redskins - Cowboys games are never predictable and always capable of throwing up a shock - I'll put money Jim Brown throws the Cowboys in his underdog blog this week :wink:
I don't know what you mean by that at all, Gman :P

You'll just have to wait and see lol. I was truly surprised you went for the Giants last week, to be honest. I felt the Skins had a clear upper hand with home venue - which they've shown time and time again this season - but I understand the points you made. It made me look twice at my view on the match but in the end I did stick with the Skins.
I've still got issues trusting my own team (w've had some tough years but I do believe they're going in the right direction, I just want to see more consistency) and the Giants are the team I hate playing more than anyone, they usually seem to suck the life out of us or just make us look ordinary when we've been playing well. The Giants injuries to their O-line have killed them though as Manning was getting pressure all day and they couldn't run the ball at all.

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:30 pm

I know what you mean. When you're a good fan of a team it is hard to separate the objectivity from the subjectivity. For years, when younger, I lost money because of the loyalty factor - following favourite horse and teams blindly, for example. As I do this now, and for the last 10 or so years, I've learned to set that mental aspect aside and only look at objective data. What helps is writing blogs and tip comments, because if you can't SAY why you fancy something and make it believable then you're on the wrong track lol
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Wish I could have had that money on JB putting the Cowboys in his underdog blog :lol:

So the Redskins head to MNF to take on their arch rivals the Dallas Cowboys. At first glance this looks like a game the Redskins should be heavily favoured in. They're at home where they are 5-1 this season (and have won five straight) and are coming off a big divisional win against the Giants that leaves them on top of the NFC East and in control of their own destiny at this point. The Cowboys come into this game having just lost Tony Romo for the season and having received a hammering at home by the Carolina Panthers on Thanksgiving. However, in this rivalry things are necer that easy so I'm preeching caution rather than total optimism!

Here's my five keys to the game:
1, Be stout vs the Dallas running attack: An interesting match-up this because whilst Dallas hasn't been the running beast it was in 2014 it has shown flashes of what it is capable of and Darren McFadden has shown - when healthy - he can break the creases he gets for some nice gains. The Redskins are thin at ILB with both Perry Riley and Keenan Robinson injured so it's down to Will Compton (who will keep one of the starting berths when either of the other two return) and Mason Foster who was signed as a free agent earlier in the season. Behind them too is literally nothing with the team having to activate Carlos Davis off of the practice squad yesterday.
2, Breeland vs Bryant: Bashaud Breeland is coming off a real good game against the Giants and he first got noticed for his potential in this match-up last year when he had a real good game vs Dez Bryant. He'll need to do it again as Bryant will be the big play option for Matt Cassel.
3, Don't let Matt Cassel settle: Cassel isn't Tony Romo but he's experienced and no mug and if he's given time the likes of Bryant, Jason Witten and Terrence Williams can hurt the Redskins. They need to keep an eye out for McFadden as an outlet receiver too.
4, Don't give Dallas life early: The Cowboys have had a tough old year and must feel like the football gods are against them. If the Redskins make mistakes early then it'll fire them up early and give them momentum. I've mentioned it previously but in this fixture last year - in Dallas on MNF -the Redskins came into face a Dallas team on top of the East with their back-up QB and seemingly little to play for. They won. These games have a habit of throwing up shocks and seeing the underdog perform well.
Consistency, do the same things well for more than one week: The Redskins haven't won two on the trot this year and have rarely played well for two consecutive games. Obviously this has to change to get the win here. I do believe last weeks win can give them belief and momentum to finally get some consistency.

Prediction: I am cautious that this isn't as easy as it appears on paper. The Cowboys are a better team than their record, the Redskins are likely over-performing just a bit on where they should be so this is closer than it appears. However, whilst I wouldn't be shocked if Dallas pulls of the "upset" I do think if the Redskins play as they are capable they can win. I'm going to back my team to get the win.

Redskins 24 - Cowboys 17

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:36 pm

So the Redskins slipped and blew a great chance to take advantage of the Giants also losing but with that loss combined with a Cowboys win and an Eagles victory the division is wide open once more.

The Cowboys did a good job defensively especially running stunts which caught out the Redskins young offensive line at times and they got to Kirk Cousins early which I do think affected him as he did miss a couple of deep shots in the game.

Defensively conceeding only 19 points, only 1 TD and forcing 3 turnovers looks good but the D didn't really stop the Cowboys much in the 2nd half (they punted only once) and it's clear the run D is still an issue. It was disappointing that special teams took a bit of a backward step after being solid in recent weeks following a rough start to the year. Dallas had several good returns, Hopkins missed a very makeable FG and DeSean Jackson fumbled a punt return. Only Ross' decent kick return helped by a penalty saved their blushes completely.

Let's be honest, no team in the East really deserves a play-off spot but one will get in. Basically the Redskins are a better team than last year but the rest of the division has regressed (and for various reasons).

The team lost another player for the rest of the season when DE Stephen Paea was placed on IR with a turf toe problem. His spot has been taken by former Saints RB Pierre Thomas who had one game with the 49ers this season. he might see action right away this Sunday as Chris Thompson has a shoulder issue and looks unlikely to go. Thomas fits that role as his strength is as a receiving option out of the backfield.

Going back to Paea's injury it does create a worry for the D-Line as Jason Hatcher has missed practice this week with a pinched nerve in his neck but hopefully he'll be ok to go against the Bears. More might be needed from reserves like Frank Kearse and Kedric Goldston though.

This week the Redskins are back on the road so surely it's a guaranteed loss right? Especially against a Bears team that has receovered well from a poor start to the season. However, if you're going to break a losing road streak a team that's 1-5 at home might be the time to do it! I'm sure the Bears see the same opportunity though.

1, Get pressure on Cutler: Cutler can slice any D on his day, especially if he doesn't get pressured but get him off the spot and he can make mistakes. DeAngelo Hall got 4 picks off of Cutler in this same match-up a few years ago!
2, Be better on 1st down: Part of the 'Skins rushing issues are on first down so they need to improve this or it gets their options limited on later downs. Get 5 yards and your whole playbook is open. get 1 or 2 yards and you are turning one dimensional and looking to pass.
3, Breeland vs Jeffery: Thus could be a key match-up. Alshon Jeffery is the Bears big play dynamite. If he can stretch the D it opens up things underneath and all the Bears RB's are pretty dangerous receivers.
4, Move Cousins around: It's something I don't think Gruden and McVay do enough of, spirints, rollouts, bootlegs. The disadvantage is it cuts the field in half a lot but especially early in the game when the D will respect play action more it's something that should work.
5, Take advantage of turnovers: The Redskins already have one more turnover than they did have all of last year which is good if you also note that the first three games only brought one turnover. What they aren't doing is punishing opponents when they make a mistake and I'm not sure of the exact stat but it's something like they have the least points off of turnovers this season in the league. Turnovers should bring opportunity and momentum.

Prediction: I'm going to do it again...predict a Redskins win. I'm not confident but I'm ceetainly not without hope and if they are going to break their road jinx this is as good an opportunity as they'll get. The Bears are no mugs and are extremely well coached but they failed to put away the 49ers last week and like the Redskins, they've still got a ways to go in their rebuild.

Bears 17 - Redskins 20

Bets: I talked about Pierre Thomas previously and looking on oddschecker no one is quoting him in the TD markets so it might be worth going with the 22/1 for "any other Redskin" to score first and 7/2 to score anytime as this adds on things like defensive TD's and special teams (depending on who it is of course)

Any "other" Redskin player to score a TD first, 22/1 with Ladbrokes.
Any "other" Redskin player to score a TD at any time, 7/2 with Ladbrokes.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 pm

The Redskins have won a road game! Yes, you've read that right, it's not a mirage!!

They made hard work of it, blowing a 14-0 lead (and at 14-0 they forced a turnover they got no points off...again!) and the Bears missed a FG at the end but with 6 wins now they've at least hit the target I had for them before the season begun with 3 games to go.

They also got their fair share of luck, if you get a chance to see the Matt Jones catch off a deflection he then went for a "Plaxico Burress" moment (good memory if you know what I mean by that and put the ball on the ground when untouched but he managed to get it back.

I'm not convinced the Redskins can go on and win the division even if results go their way, still too many issues with this team but it's nice to stay in the race this long.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Last week seen me get as close to a correct prediction on this thread as I ever have. 3 point margin of victory, tight game, just slightly off on the score.

This week the Redskins return home for the last time this (regular) season to face the Buffalo Bills who have an idential record at 6-7. The last time the Redskins beat the Bills was 23 years ago although it was a reasonably important game - Super Bowl XXVI! Since then the two teams have met six times in the regular season and the Bills have won all six including a 23-0 victory last time when they played in Montreal. The Redskins started John Beck at QB that day :lose:

This promises to be a tighter affair, the Redskins are obviously still in the thick of the NFC East title hunt and whilst the Bills are pretty much out of the play-off race in the NFC they have played pretty well at times this season and look to have plenty of potential going forward. Here's my five keys to the game.

1, Stop the run: The Bills offense is based around a strong running attack with Shady McCoy, rookie Karlos Williams and QB Tyrod Taylor featured in both terms of scrambling and designed run plays. During October and November the Redskins run defense really slide after a strong start to the campaign. It's been better in recent weeks but possibly helped by game situations in that both the Giants and Bears got down early and were forced to use the pass more. The Bills want the balance, Taylor is a more effective passer with the running game working where he can use play action and also his own running ability on bootlegs and sprints. If the Redskins are to have success here they must make the Bills one dimensional.
2, Watch Sammy Watkins - especially going deep!: The Bills running game leads to this next issue - stopping the big plays Sammy Watkins can bring. The Bills love to take shots down the field and Watkins is usually that target. He's averaging over 18 yards per reception for the year and has 7TD's despite missing three games with injury. If the Redskins DB's get caught peeking in the backfield they might see Watkins fly right by! T. Taylor leads NFL with 10TD passes over 20yds; Redskins have given up 10 such TDs tied for most.
3, Kirk Cousins must maintain his improved play: I fully expect the Bills D to try and make Cousins beat them. They haven't been a brilliant pass rushing D this year but they'll have seen the issues the Redskins have had with sacks in recent weeks and that's been down to Cousins who has sometimes struggled vs a good zone coverage. Rex Ryan is usually aggressive with blitzs and man coverage behind but I expect him to change things up here and play a lot more zone or at least coverage combinations. Cousins must avoid getting caught out mis-reading coverage as he did once for a poor int vs the Bears.
4, Special teams: The Redskins have been better in this department this season. Not perfect or a unit to fear but they've gotten steadier, made some plays of their own (2 kick returns, a blocked punt TD) but also a few howlers. They could really do with a teams edge here, Buffalo have a solid unit.
5, Consistency: If there is one thing more than anything the Redskins have lacked this year it's consistency. be it game to game or quarter to quarter they never look like the same team for a prolonged period. Several times this season they jumped out on opponents only to let them back in pretty quickly or even end up losing or they've got behind too quickly because of slow starts. For them to make post season by taking the division they need to develop that consistency - stringing some wins together and being more consistent (in terms of playing well, not bad!) during games.

Prediction: I was surprised how on my own I was in this weeks NFL Experts blog as I was the only one from six to go against the 'Skins but as stated previously, despite being at home the Bills running game and Tyrod Taylor worry me and I think they might be able to expose the Redskins weaknesses on D whilst not allowing them too much on offense.

Bills 27 Redskins 20

Bets: Kirk Cousins has four rushing TD's this year and the Redskins rushing attack has struggled at times in short yardage so QB sneaks and the odd fake off the read option are plays that have worked better. Cousins can be had at 8/1 to score anytime.

Kirk Cousins to score a TD anytime, 8/1 with Coral.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:42 pm

The Cousins bet just came in :win:

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Well well well. after breaking the road jinx the Redskins only go and manage to win two games in a row for the first time in over a year! It feels good!

Interesting how my keys to the game worked, the 'Skins didn't stop the run as they allowed 240 yards but it didn't hurt them too badly because of their fast start and the fact that Tyrod Taylor got a bunch of yards because he had to scramble because of the coverage downfield. The Bills also stuck with the run even when the game was out of reach and got some cheap yards as the 'Skins D was playing off the line thinking pass first. At the same time allowing a 60 yard run is never a good thing.

They also let Sammy Watkins get some big plays which I stated was something they needed to stop. However, it wasn't until the 3rd quarter that Watkins got a look in.

Special teams was a factor in that it stopped the game being a blow out early. Up 21-0 and forcing the Bills to punt from inside their own 5 Jamison Crowder goes and muffs the punt. Had he just held on the 'Skins O would have been set fair inside the Bills half. as it was the Bills drove down the field but failed on 4th down from the one yard line. On the plus side the kick coverage from the 'Skins units was excellent, twice the Bills returned it and twice they got pinned well inside the 20.

Kirk Cousins enjoyed a superb game. Usually I can pick a hole or two in even his better games but not this one. He was on the money for nearly all his passes, hit big plays to Jackson and Reed, made a massive 3rd and long conversion to Garcon and added in a rushing TD to boot (which even meant I had a winning bet this week!).

The return of DeSean Jackson is certainly a factor in Cousins improvement. Since his return in Week 9, Cousins has been 152 of 214 (71 percent) for 1,888 yards, 13 touchdowns and three interceptions! His ability to take the top off a defense has to be respected and it gives better options underneath.

The 'Skins also showed the consistency I talked about, there was a slight lapse in the 3rd quarter where they allowed two quick scores but they retook the momentum quickly and sealed the game with an excellent drive for the final TD.

So now it pretty much comes down to one game - vs Philadelphia - on Boxing Day. Win and the 'Skins are in even if they lose the finale to Dallas and only make it to 8-8. Lose and Philly takes it's destiny into its own hands and the Redskins would need to win in Dallas and see the Eagles slip to the Giants.

I'm just delighted to see the team where it is at the moment, it'd be wonderful to top it off with making the play-offs although I don't think they'd go far in post season as they are still a ways behind the likes of the Panthers, Seahawks, Cardinals and even the Packers. Yes the weaker division has played a part in their rise to competing for the division title but this team has definitely improved. It's pass offense has been excellent in recent weeks, special teams are much better (but can be better still) than last year and the D has at least made some plays even when it has leaked yardage. The team has also not being the soap opera it has been in recent years with the #You Like That being about the biggest talking point. No one really talks about that other QB anymore...

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:03 pm

The busy Christmas period and playing a day early means I've not had much time to get a preview ready for tonight's game but I'll quickly do my 5 keys and I'm sure whether your a fan of the Redskins or not you're aware of the important of tonight's game.

My 5 keys:
1, Pressure Sam Bradford: if you give him time he'll find the open man on the Eagles system of slow developing routes, especially the deep crosses. DC Joe Barry doesn't blitz much but it might be worth sending some extra pressure at times here.
2, Go deep: The Redskins O looks so much better with DeSean Jackson involved and his threat opens up everything else underneath but they must continue to take the shots to him.
3, Don't get down early: they can't start slow here or the Eagles will get the crowd on side and it'll be frenzy like. The 'Skins road issues are well known but if they can start well or at least stay close it takes out the effect of the crowd.
4, Consistency: it's started to come at the business end of the season but it must remain now and not just disappear and say 2 games was enough or they'll be home in the 2nd week of January.
5, Sieze the moment: the last two years have been tough, you never know what's around the corner. Believe and win because if you do you're in and you get to use next week vs Dallas as a prep/practice rather than desperate for a win and hoping the Eagles slip up.

Prediction: it'll be close but I think the 'Skins can do it. Expect it to be a bit cagey at times but we'll get pockets of point explosions.

Redskins 27 - Eagles 23

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:54 am

With their destiny in their own hands the Redskins went into Philly and took the opportunity presented with both hands. They are your 2015 NFC East divisional Champions!!

Some thoughts on the game:

- Defensively it started poorly with an easy first drive for Philly but credit the coaches for making some adjustments and getting after Bradford more which made a big difference.
- The Redskins were certainly helped with the Eagles mistakes and missed opportunities - drops, turnovers, missed throws - but that's why the Eagles are where they are this season because for me it's between them and Dallas for the most talent on the roster. Dallas can point to injuries (so could the Redskins to be honest), especially to Romo and Dez Bryant.
- The Eagles feel like an extension of their head coach, they've got lots of good ideas but the execution isn't always there.
Preston Smith was a beast!
- Pierre Thomas! One of the things that's made a difference this year is having a GM who finds guys off the street who can help. Thomas goes on the list now with Will Blackmon, Dustin Hopkins and Mason Foster.
- Cousins was superb except for one play so lets address that first - boneheaded. No other explanation for it. It wasn't costly in the end and he deserves credit for not letting it set him on a downward spiral like bad plays have in the past but it left points on the field and is just a major brain fart on his part.
- However, outside of that he was superb. He had a couple of passes that might have gotten picked but one was Jordan Reed not turning around and the other he just led Crowder a little but Crowder still had a chance at it. Before the Knee the passes he threw down the sideline to get them into that position were sweet and his pre-snap reads are getting better and better. he feels so at home in this offense now and he's going to cost a pretty penny to re-sign long term but I've no doubt that that is going to happen. say hello to $100m Mr Cousins!
- Jordan Reed is on fire right now. The Eagles did take him away a little after his fast start but by then the damage was done and it just opened things up for Garcon and Jackson.
- We're a passing offense right now, the running game still isn't working great and is used to keep the D honest if nothing else. Missing Matt Jones (a late scratch last night) hurt but Morris just doesn't burst into the holes all the time and has got a case of happy feet much of the time. I love the kid but he doesn't fit well in this offense.
- Winning on the road has been an issue all year and even vs the Bears it nearly came undone. That was easily the best road performance of the season.

It feels good to be division champions baby!!

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:35 am

The final week of the regular season sees the Redskins go down to Dallas in what is actually a meaningless game as the Cowboys can't get to the play-offs and the Redskins can't change their post season situation. However, it's not really meaningless as this is Redskins - Cowboys, divisional warfare!

1, Win: Eh! That's the ain of the game isn't it? Of course it is but winning keeps confidence and momentum for the play-offs and being 9-7 is a lot better mindset -wise than 8-8.
2, Avoid injuries: Several guys aren't going to play (Goldson, Dunbar, Matt Jones) but I'd also expect Cousins to only play maybe a half and for Trent Williams to be given the night off. The 'Skins will be thin in areas like the secondary.
3, Keep doing what they've been doing: ie, be aggressive. It's been a key to the last three weeks, going for the big play, getting the ball downfield and letting play makers make plays.
4, Learn from last time: Dallas ran a good defensive gameplan, especially causing confusion with the young OL players running lots of stunts and twists. Prove they've learned from it.
5, Work on the running game: We'll need it in post season, keeping working at it and find things that work.

Prediction: I've gone for the Redskins in the Expert picks but honestly this could go anyway as the Cowboys will want to send the Redskins into post season with a bloody nose and the Redskins want to win for momentum. If the Redskins start resting lots of starters despite Dallas' injury issues they may struggle but I just think at present they're playing with confidence and momentum and that counts for a lot:

Redskins 27 Cowboys 20