2019 Movie Awards

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

2019 Movie Awards

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:23 pm

I know, I know...

2018 hasn’t even been done yet and it’s probably too early to say what’s going to be in contention next year.

But the early bird sometimes catches the worm!

I’m going to try and keep an up to date eye on stuff for next year. Just now Sundance is in full swing which is an indication of how films may fare award wise next year.

But there’s s few films that I think will have an impact on awards next season.

These are...

Mary, Queen of Scots

A historical epic said to feature a modern slant audiences can relate to it features two of the most respected young actresses in Hollywood today, Margot Robbie and Saoirse Ronan.

I’m particular Ronan is in fire just now. She’s got an outside chance winning an Oscar this year but even she was to be nominated for Lady Bug that would be theee nominations. Don’t rule out a fourth next year.

First Man

Damien Chazelle dazzled Hollywood with his first two films, Whiplash and La La Land. Here he directs his La La Land Star Ryan Gosling who’ll be playing astronaut Neil Armstrong.

It will be interesting to see how Chazelle handles a non musical film but one thing Academy voters live when t comes to Actors is the winners playing real life people.

I reckon that ten of the last thirteen best actor winners have played characters based on real people.

Boy Erased

Actor Joel Edgerton goes behind the camera to tell the tale of a young man (Lucas Hedges) who comes out only to be forced to attend a programme to convert him. His parents are played by Russel Crowe (remember him?!) and Nicole Kidman (best actress working in Hollywood just now) while the head therapist is played by Edgerton.

With its acting talent and it’s September release this could feature heavily.

Bohemian Rhapsody

The often delayed biopic about Freddy Mercury has had its share of troubles with director Bryan Skngwr recently leaving the film.

But Mr Robot Star Rami Malek looks impressive as the Queen frontman. With a Boxing Day release film bosses are hopeful.

Backseat

Adam McKay who brought us Anchorman and other comedy classics stays a little bit more dramatic after the hugely successful The Big Short.

This time it’s his tale of former Vice President Dick Cheney played by Christian Bale.

His wife is played by Oscar bridesmaid Amy Adams while the rest of the cast is cracking including Sam Rockwell as George W Bush and Steve Carrell as Donald Rimsfield.

Like The Big Short And other strong ensemble films such as American Histle and Silver Lining Playbook this could feature. But can someone stand out from the crowd to gain a nomination?

Beautiful Boy

Steve Carrell again as he teams up with thhis years hottest prospect Timothy Chalamet about a Dad helping his son battle drug addiction.

The Women Of Marwen

Steve Carrell again! This time starting in technical wiz Robert Zemeckis film of a man dealing with he effects of being a victim of an attack.

There’s no doubting the director is an effects marvel but this might be a bit more difficult.

Of those and playing it as a numbers game on previous nominations Amy Adams could be a contender and Steve Carrell looks to be in with a shout.

Thinking caps on!!!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: 2019 Movie Awards

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Paddy Power, my usual go to bookies for Oscar bets, have come back to say they’re not offering odds. Boo!

I’d they did I’d throw the name of Laura Dern into the mix. She stars in a story of abuse called The Tale rhats harrowing and unforgettable.

More Sundance chat soon!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm

Paddy Power? I would suggest it is because they have no heart in their novelty markets any more and they have piddly limits. Think I was restricted to TEN PENCE for the SAG awards! You would be better off asking Betfair who are prepared to lay a bet if not only because they also share the same odds compilers.

Ladbrokes have some film fans. William Hill may oblige if you're lucky. Good luck asking around for other firms to price things up.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Cheers for the advice!

Paddy Power have served me well but you get the feeling that they’re not daft and offer lower odds even if they’re unsure just to prevent losing a lot. Which makes sense!

Hoping for a return when about August time bookies start posting Oscar fields, that’s what happened with Jared Leto and Matthew McCaunagh a couple of years ago

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:54 am

They're mad keen on working out next year's Best Picture winner at the 2019 Oscars are the folk over at Betway...

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 am

I see Ladbrokes also have odds up...

Widows 10/1
Black Panther 16/1
If Beale Street Could Talk 16/1
Beautiful Boy 25/1
Boy Erased 25/1
The Irishman 25/1
Backseat 33/1
First Man 33/1
Mary, Queen of Scots 33/1
Solo: A Star Wars Story 100/1
Toy Story 4 100/1

Meh. Doubt any of these will win and "Black Panther" will get a few technical nominations and that's about it. No way will it "Get Out" its way to a Best Picture nomination.

I'm surprised "Widows" is an early favourite if you can call it that. "If Beale Street Could Talk" seems a sombre affair but it could easily score Oscar nominations across the board. Could there be a *GASP* a first ever black winner for Best Director if it's Steve McQueen and Barry Jenkins at the forefront!? Possibly.

There seems to be quite a handful of homosexcual themed films but "Moonlight" casts a long shadow and "Call Me By Your Name" was lucky it was in a fairly uncompetitive category to nick an Oscar a few weeks ago.

"The Irishman" will have to fight bias against Netflix despite the studio winning a few minor Oscars such as Documenarty Feature for "Icarus". If the VFX are good for the deaging then maybe Martin Scorsese will return competitively after the general silence towards um, "Silence". Amazon did win two biggies for "Manchester by the Sea" though I feel there is fear from traditional studios towards the new blood.

"First Man" and "Mary, Queen of Scots" appear to be the more typical Oscarbait fare but who knows if AMPAS will bite!?

Between Betway and Ladbrokes, that's most of the far-too-early-at-this-stage hype covered but there are possibly more than a few films we won't see coming. All eyes on Cannes in May and Venice in August.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 am

I’m going to disagree but I think Black Panther has got a great chance of being nominated!

Rarely has a film captured the publics imagination in such a commercial and critical way, an amazing fete when you consider that most of the cast are black females.

If I was to take a pick from that list I’d go for Backseat or First Man.

:?

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:06 pm

Vanity Fair have had a shot at trying to predict the Best Picture contenders from this far out...

https://twitter.com/HWD/status/977660323506409475
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... redictions

I imagine if Betfred/Totesport have odds up for what will be nominated for Best Picture again then "Black Panther" may receive some fairly stingy odds as I think they lost some money underestimating "Get Out".

EDIT: Skybet want in as well! Not a huge array of options on offer.

Widows 10/1
Black Panther 12/1
If Beale Street Could Talk 14/1
First Man 18/1
Boy Erased 20/1
Beautiful Boy 25/1
The Irishman 33/1
Toy Story 4 100/1

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:54 am

You wonder if the success of Black Panther is going to have a negative effect on the new Avengers film? It will need to be really good and do really well to be seen as anything other than a flop? And if it does well will it be an Oscar contender?

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am

I’m sure I saw some places tout Spielberg’s offering The Kidnapping Of Edgardo Mortara as a favourite. If it is it’s unlikey to be next year as he’s not cast it yet!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Spike Lee throws his hat into the ring with BlackKklansman the true story of a black man becoming part of the Klu Klix Klan.

It’s narrowly lost out to the win the big prize in Canne but ended up with the Grand Prix.

Interesting!!!!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat May 26, 2018 2:39 pm

SportingBet have a few props up:

* Will "Black Panther" win an Oscar for best movie? Yes 14/1, No 1/100
* Will "Black Panther" be nominated for an Oscar for best movie? Yes 4/1, No 13/100
* Will Ryan Coogler be nominated for an Oscar for best director? Yes 3/1, No 1/5
* Will "Black Panther" be nominated for an Oscar for best costume design? Yes 1/2, No 7/5

No, no, no and yes in that order. I still don't think "Black Panther" can "Get Out" its way to the Oscars.

* Will "Solo: A Star Wars Story" be nominated for best movie? Yes 10/1, No 1/100
* Will "Solo: A Star Wars Story" be nominated for best visual effects? Yes 2/5, No 17/10
* Will Damien Chazelle be nominated for best director? Yes 11/5, No 51/20
* WIll Ryan Gosling be nominated for best actor? Yes 33/100, No 2/1

No, very likely (ILM seems to have a bloc vote to always get nominated) and sight unseen in regards "First Man" so I'll abstain on that.

* How many Oscars will "Solo: A Star Wars Story" win? Over 0.5 3/1, Under 0.5 1/5

It will win squadoosh, a big fat zero.