2018 Oscars

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

2018 Oscars

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 pm

I know, I know... :D

The nominations haven't yet been announced for his years awards but it doesn't stop me getting interested in next years ceremony. Especially when I've made such a mess of picking winners this year!

I've tried to get a price on a 2018 winner and the only bookie to come back with one was Paddy Power. Here goes!

Gary Oldman to win Best Actor Oscar 2018 5/2

Let's start with the reasons as why its a bad bet. The odds are short for a film which is still being made and when you don't know what he'll be up against.

Its from director Joe Wright who has done well with the likes of Atonement and then not so well with that n
Peter Pan film!

Oldman will play Winston Churchill in the early stages of World War 2 as he tries to stop Hitler in the movie called The Darkest Hour. Actors playing real life characters have a great record of winning the Best Actor Oscar, I'll produce stats when I get a minute!

Churchill has been portrayed by many actors over the years but theres one publicity shot and he looks the part. He shouild be able to put in a performance which helps him stand out although others like Anthony Hopkins in Nixon and Leonardo Di Caprio in J Edgar Hoover.

I just think Oldman deserves this. He failed to get even a nomination for Tinker Taylor Solider Spy which was a travesty. There's a danger that people will associate him with big budget films and it may be too political. But he'll also have Ben Mendleson acting alongside him whose one of the best.

Its a risk. A big one. And after being burned by both Michael Keaton and Adam Driver this year its a risk I shouildnt be taking.

But I am!

Someone mentioned that the odds seem to be low for this years Oscars and bookies seem to be scared of pricing awards up too soon. But in some instances the early bird catches the worm!

Gary Oldman to with e Best Actor Oscar 2018 5/2.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: 2018 Oscars

Postby stereoman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm

I remember reading an article on Digital Spy in November thinking "OOOH!! Sneaky late shot at Supporting Actor this year!?" but releasing the film next year is very wise.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... -dropping/

He really looks the part and even more so than Albert Finney did, who portrayed him in 'The Gathering Storm' TV movie and he won loads of awards. Lots of hype, the due factor...it might just be the ticket for Gary.

Best Actress looks like a corker. Natalie Portman as Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Emma Stone may be defending a newly won Oscar with her role as Billie Jean King in 'Battle of the Sexes' and Cate Blanchett in 'Manifesto' have caught the eye of a few very early on.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:01 pm

This years one hasn't even been but next year is hotting up!

After Deadpool failed to wow Academy voters, I wonder if there will be a backlash of sorts?

Patrick Stewart could have been in contention for Green Room but it was a little too dark. He looks I impressive in the trailer for the new Wolverine film Logan.

This one is darker in tone and could do well.

Also, what's peoples thoughts on the late, great Carrie Fisher getting an Oscar for Star Wars?

Enrique125
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Enrique125 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:02 pm

way to early to talk about it.. but if my favourites don't win in 2017, I cross my fingers for next year.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Sundance has been and gone but there's not been a lot of hype about the films. Ones to watch out for include Crown Heights, I doint Feel At Home In This World Anymore and Beach Rats.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Early, early days. But the reviews for Logan have been really good with some asking if this will be the first superhero film to be nominated for best film at next years Oscars.

Some talk for Hugh Jackman as best actor but I'd watch out for Patrick Stewart in the supporting actor stakes.

Too early but interesting!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:15 am

Some tipping Dunkirk to do well next years. I'd be worried that its summer release is too early.

Also, don't think Harry Styles will! Be up for an award!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm

I think the stigma of being in One Direction is enough putting people off for voting for him with the last musician/actor to do well being Jared Leto for 'Dallas Buyers Club' so Harry Styles will need universal praise. Also, Christopher Nolan has still yet to be nominated for Best Director so he has his own stigma (bagging over $150m for directing three Batman films will bring out the green eyed monster and get people asking "Does he really need an Oscar?" and there's the $20 million PLUS a percentage of the gross profit that he's getting to direct 'Dunkirk' as well!).

Screen International lazily puts out some contenders and 'Dunkirk' obviously is one of them.

http://www.screendaily.com/5115388.article

I think what should be noted about the last two Best Picture winners is that they likely have to appeal to actors, get a SAG Ensemble nomination at the very least, at least get a writing nomination and support from the WGA, not be that divisive, possibly be the frontrunner since Telluride but not so much that they become an odds-on 'monster' that people will want to root against yet possibly be the critics favourite as well as be the 'socially conscious' and 'hip' film to get behind.

The preferential ballot plus the influx of 'new blood' in the voting base of AMPAS I think means that there is even more of a disconnect between Best Picture and Best Director and that the last four of the five years have proven this as there have been splits ('Argo'/'Life of Pi', '12 Years a Slave'/'Gravity', 'Spotlight'/'The Revenant' and now 'Moonlight'/'La La Land').

The right wing press should generally be ignored. Toby Young is a scumbag suggesting as long as you aren't a white male you'lll win an acting Oscar and conveniently forgets that Casey Affleck won. Tucker Carlson is not much better blaming 'political correctness' for 'Moonlight' winning...which I think is a half-truth.

Was 'Moonlight' winning a response to #OscarsSoWhite!? It can be seen that way. Some would say that the 'best' film won despite generally no previous form (the only clue perhaps being when it won Original Screenplay at the WGA awards over 'La La Land' and 'Manchester by the Sea') in the precursor guild awards apart from wins from critics groups.

If 'La La Land' won Best Picture and Denzel Washington won instead of Casey Affleck, I don't think there'd be much of a change apart from various negative thinkpieces about 'La La Land' and how progressive AMPAS is but there's still a long way to go. If 'Moonlight', Barry Jenkins, Denzel Washington, Viola Davis and Mahershala Ali had all won then wow, that's possibly just too much of a coincidence.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Paddy Power have odds on who will host the 90th Oscars...

Will Jimmy Kimmel repeat!? I wouldn't be against it and he generally had favourable reviews unless you were like the curmudgeons over at Jezebel but they may easily go for someone else.

http://jezebel.com/the-oscars-should-fi ... 1792820653

Grobler
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Grobler » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:51 pm

I have a Cineworld card...I watch a lot of films.I've just come back from watching Logan....my wife likes this sort of childish nonsense..and I read that this might be an Oscar possibility(so I went).I admit I had never seen one of these "Marvel" comic films before...but my opinion (for what its worth)...there is no way on this earth that any of the actors in this film will get anywhere near any awards . ARE YOU SERIOUS??? This is a comic book stupid film that should only be watched by children. Just because there is swearing in this...doesn't make it a thinking adult film. If anyone is thinking of putting money on this (or the actors) to win an Oscar....DONT !!!!
C'mon you Irons......

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 am

Paddy Power have odds on who will host the 90th Oscars...

Will Jimmy Kimmel repeat!? I wouldn't be against it and he generally had favourable reviews unless you were like the curmudgeons over at Jezebel but they may easily go for someone else.

http://jezebel.com/the-oscars-should-fi ... 1792820653
James Corden looks a big price...

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:41 am

I have a Cineworld card...I watch a lot of films.I've just come back from watching Logan....my wife likes this sort of childish nonsense..and I read that this might be an Oscar possibility(so I went).I admit I had never seen one of these "Marvel" comic films before...but my opinion (for what its worth)...there is no way on this earth that any of the actors in this film will get anywhere near any awards . ARE YOU SERIOUS??? This is a comic book stupid film that should only be watched by children. Just because there is swearing in this...doesn't make it a thinking adult film. If anyone is thinking of putting money on this (or the actors) to win an Oscar....DONT !!!!
While not a cert the buzz surrounding Patrick Stewart could see him sneak a supporting Oscar nomination. Like others before him he could get a nod for previous work, such as Green Room.

I've not yet seen Logan but looking forward to it. Also, along with Deadpool it represents a change in direction of superhero movies to a more adult market.