2018 Oscars

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: 2018 Oscars

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:23 am

The Golden Globes are a funny lot from the strange categorisation (Get Out as a comedy?!) To The shocks you often get.

I’m not a fan of them because of this. I think of it as the equavilant Of a pre season friendly in football, damned if you do win, damned if you don’t.

Personally I’m beginning to get worried about Gary Oldman winning the Oscar but I’ll take him losing this if he wins it.

It’s also quite hard to get any value as those certs are already at low odds!

But here goes!

Best supportig Actor In A Dramatic Role

Let’s just say the best actor category is already won in this and the Oscars. The supporting actor category is wide open.

When t comes to the Oscars it could be a fight to the end between Willem Dafoe, Sam Rockwell and Christopher Plummer.

Who’ll win? Who knows but I think Dafoe has this. There was talk that he’d be in the lead actor category but with Oldmans performance there’s a lot of people running scared. This meant that Dafoe has been switched to the supporting category which could be defined as confidence.

Willem Dafoe (4/6)

Best Picture

Dunkirk has been the early runner but it doesn’t seem to be holding up in awards season. Three Billboards was my initial pick but I’m more inclined to go for The Shape Of Water.

I’ve not had a chance to see it yet but I hear it’s a great film that’s also a technical marvel.

The Shape Of Water (7/4)

Best Director

And if the Shape Of Water wins best film, then I think it’s director Guillermo Del Toro could win his category.

Often working within the realms of fantasy, Hollywood could be about to award someone of a visionary.

Del Toro Best Director (5/4)

Best Actress

Another close race. Frances McDormand against Sally Hawkins. And although the Shape Of Water is my Tip for the big prizes I think Three Billboards five times nominated is finally going to get a win.

Frances McDortmand Best Actress (evens)

Best Supporting Actress

This is another close one. Laurie Mercalf for Lady Bug and Alison Janney for I, Tonya

I’m going for the later. Both performances have been praised by critics but it’s Janney for me.

Alison Janney (5/2)

Three out of five.

Roll on the Oscar nominations!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Those on fancy prices on "Lady Bird" and "Three Billboards..." must be looking a little smug as the HFPA generally played safe and followed their lead from various critics awards and what scored nominations at the guilds. I still think there's a twist in the tale though and the guilds haven't been 100% in the past few years but they are obviously a strong indicator as to where the proverbial wind is blowing. The Oscars generally don't like to follow directly what the Golden Globes have picked in the past few years though.

The #MeToo campaign seems to have meant that female led films have gotten more sway and the SAG Ensemble winner could be key whether the Best Picture Oscar is more likely going towards "Lady Bird" or "Three Billboards...".

I would guess the PGA winner might miss out on Best Picture at the Oscars again and that the DGA winner may be the strongest indicator this time around. The WGA could be a slight 'red herring'. BAFTA can be a help as much as a hindrance.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 am

BAFTA nominations are out...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42618239

...and "Three Billboards..." takes a slight lead over "Lady Bird" in terms of Oscar 'momentum' even if "The Shape of Water" leads in most nominations here.

pandabear123
Handicapper
Tips

Postby pandabear123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 am

James Franco in The Disaster Artist , for the best actor, and Margot Robbie in I, Tonya , for the best actress = these are my predictions for this year's Oscar festival.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 am

James Franco in The Disaster Artist , for the best actor, and Margot Robbie in I, Tonya , for the best actress = these are my predictions for this year's Oscar festival.
Robbie could have an outside chance. With various revelations, Franco might not.

But you never know!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Voting for the nominations ends today so if the recent revelations are anything to go by then James Franco will conveniently miss out.

I feel the final five will be: Timothee Chalamet, Daniel Day-Lewis, Daniel Kaluuya, Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington.

The DGA nominations were out last night...

* Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water)
* Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird)
* Martin McDonagh (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
* Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk)
* Jordan Peele (Get Out)

To take BAFTA and the DGA nominations at face value then del Toro, McDonagh and Nolan are 'guaranteed' to get an Oscar nomination but there are some whispering that Nolan could be vulnerable.

Luca Guadagnino (Call Me By Your Name) and Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049) seem to be on the outside looking in as are the likes of Steven Spielberg (The Post) and Joe Wright (Darkest Hour).

pandabear123
Handicapper
Tips

Postby pandabear123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Robbie could have an outside chance. With various revelations, Franco might not.

But you never know!
Well, now i can see Franco is probably out. Gore Oldman is the favorite.