BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2017

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2017

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 pm

I actually backed Lewis Hamilton at 20/1 for this last weekend.

I can't see Joshua winning the BBC Sports Personality of the Year although that's just my opinion he may be a nailed on cert for it but it's ten years since a boxer last won it.

Hamilton last won it in 2014 when he won his first world championship and I feel if he can overturn Vettel in this campaign that 20/1 will be into a price around 5/2 or 3/1.

Only a small stake in a novelty market.
Hamilton could be a shout. I just don't think a boxer will do it although I coukdbe wrong!

craig01706
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby craig01706 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Jermain Defoe is getting some backing for this also ? Could he be a contender ?

otbc canary
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby otbc canary » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Defoe's friendship with and constant support for Bradley Lowery (may he rest in peace) is no doubt the reason for why he may receive the SPOTY award this year. In many ways this would be widely applauded and would perhaps revert to the original reason imo why someone should receive this award rather than to merely glorify a sportsman whose 'only' qualification is that he is extremely good at what he does and for which he gets paid an enormous amount of money.

Whilst not wishing to detract from the sentiments in hoping that Jermaine Defoe will win I would like to give belated thanks to Jaydubs and Stereoman for highlighting the value of Johanna Konta earlier this year. I heeded their advice and placed a few pennies on Konta at the 20/1 available at that time with Sporting bet (EW 1/5 1-2-3). Whether she manages to get past Venus Williams on Thursday remains to be seen.

ids81o
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ids81o » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Don't think Dafoe should even be nominated, its about doing well in sport.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Scoring double figures for a woeful Sunderland side & getting back in the England side at 34 after a 3 year absence is pretty impressive.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Chris Froome wins his fourth Tour de France but barely moves the needle as he's still in double digits as 'low' as 10/1 and the fourth favourite behind Anthony Joshua, Jermain Defoe and Mo Farah (!?).

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm

Chris Froome gets my vote but because he participates in a "less popular" sport he will sadly not get enough votes, even if he makes the shortlist.

ids81o
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ids81o » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:54 am

Cycling is tainted by illegal substance use, don't trust any cyclists.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Lewis Hamilton has effectively won this year's F1 title barring some ridiculous circumstances if he doesn't get at least a fifth place finish in the Mexican Grand Prix and even then there's three races left.

Hard to get excited about but next Saturday, it gets even stodgier as Anthony Joshua defends against some nobody they've dragged from out of the street two weeks ago called Carlos Takam (35-3-1) to replace Kubray Pulev (25-1) who was already a so-so opponent to begin with.

I can't get excited about any of this year's contenders. It seems primed for Anthony Joshua still unless the cycling community get behind four time Tour de France champion in Chris Froome ahead of petrolheads supporting their four time world champion Lewis Hamilton. If Lewis hadn't beaten Rory McIlroy back in 2014, I'd have thought the upset was more likely but there has been no excitement or thrill as Lewis has cruised to victory after an early stumble. It might not stop any late gambles though.

Updated odds from William Hill:

ids81o
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ids81o » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am

Harry Kane seems worth considering in a pretty open field.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 am

Trying to think which women might feature for BBC SPotY this year and handily enough there's the Sunday Times Sportswoman of the Year awards tomorrow night. Odds from Betway.

I'd vote for Tammy Beaumont if only to represent the women's cricket but it likely won't work out like that considering some of the cricket has gone over to BT Sport. Imagine Elinor Barker might justify the slight favoritism as dictated by the odds. It shouldn't go to Jodie Taylor or Johanna Konta though.

A breakdown of the contenders over at Sky Sports: http://www.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows ... f-the-year

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:10 pm

England have just lost the second ODI against Australia in this year's Ashes but I don't think Tammy is winning this award tonight....the time difference just to have her accept the prize by live video seems slightly unfair.

'Team of the Year' for this year's BBC SPotY should be interesting as arguably you have the England women's cricket team and the England women's rugby union team as two frontrunners.

Strongly believe what with the BBC's infatuation with tennis that Roger Federer seems ominous to win the Overseas award yet again although they might wait until he retires before they give him another one. They may try and go for someone like Katie Ledecky instead even if they did ignore Michael Phelps.