BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2017

garlicsauce
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Re: BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2017

Postby garlicsauce » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Surprise as Mo Farah wins the title.
Strictly voters brought Jonnie Peacock into third place and a winner @13's on the blog! https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=413268
Well done to those on surprise winner Mo Farah, Jonathan Rae who came runner up and Jonnie Peacock!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Hmmm. I would usually scream "SHENANIGANS!!" and I still will. Was not paying attention but after James McClean somehow winning the RTE equivalent last night, I felt something odd would happen but definitely not this.

Mo Farah winning after years of being ignored wins what is obviously a lifetime award but was there a very late plunge in the odds indicating that this was on the cards though!? I don't recall any "Vote for Mo Farah" campaign being bandied about.

This is probably the biggest odds that a BBC SPotY winner has ever been.

Jonathan Rea isn't surprising but the lack of appetite to vote for Lewis Hamilton kind of is. "Strictly..." fans hijacking it for Jonnie Peacock to somehow finish third narrowly ahead of Anthony Joshua is bizarre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42387099

Am assuming if an Anthony Joshua vs. Tyson Fury fight ever happens then maybe the winner might be considered favourite for 2018.

danbradley
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby danbradley » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm not usually that interested in SPOTY but this result shocks me - surely this is Mo's worst year for some time? Missing out on the double? How AJ is fourth bemuses me. Guess when you give vote to the public it becomes more of a popularity contest, although I guess perhaps the personality of the year is different to the top sportsperson of the year...

garlicsauce
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby garlicsauce » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm with you on Joshua. Not to win was a shock, but not to be in the top 3 was crazy. As you said stereoman, Jonnie was helped towards third place by Strictly. The competing celebrities and professional dancers had a bit of a campaign going for him on social media. I should imagine that the bookies are laughing all over their faces! Well done to those on Mo, I know I wasn't!