Mercury Prize 2016

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Mercury Prize 2016

Postby stereoman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:59 am

Very late to this but I generally don't care for the award any more. I've usually cared enough to put up what the odds were ante-post but this year, nope.

A fairly large amount of money collectively on David Bowie to become the first posthumous winner of the award but I can't quite see it even if there will be on the night, someone performing songs from 'Blackstar'.

It's the 25th anniversary so I suppose David Bowie winning wouldn't be out of the unusual with the last few winners generally being absolute duds (James Blake!? Young Fathers!? Benjamin Clementine!?) but I do suggest to keep a watching brief as to the odds. Occasionally more of a hindrance and red herring but sometimes gambles do land.

I'd be surprised if Anohni or Skepta (REALLY!?) were actual spoilers. I'd probably see Michael Kiwanuka (Richard Osman's tip as soon as the nominations were announced) or Bat for Lashes might provide the opposition instead.

David Bowie would be a very popular winner though (even if it goes against the general ethos of the award to reward unheralded acts that deserve a bigger platform and more attention) and I'm sure that the new sponsors Hyundai wouldn't mind the huge amount of press it would generate so betting wise, I'm keeping my money in my pocket as I'm thoroughly expecting the gamble on David Bowie to be landed but not so much that I'm putting any money on it.

If an upset occurs, I'm looking at Anohni, Michael Kiwanuka or Bat for Lashes to provide it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... -shortlist
http://www.redbrick.me/music/mercury-pr ... -reaction/

The winner will be announced at around 10pm on Thursday 15th September.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Kano being bet into 6/1 second favourite at Ladbrokes!? Um...I really can't see it happening though. :?

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Nothing really to report on but it\'s Skepta who is providing the seemingly unlikely opposition to what appears to be an almost inevitable David Bowie win.

Skepta now a best price 8/1, David Bowie a best price 4/7 and 10/1 bar.

Will be dumbfounded if Skepta wins. Four straight years of absolutely useless winners if it happens although some will cite that grime as a genre will finally have been recognised.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:18 pm

I had a dream law night that Skepta won it!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:24 pm

Forgot about the twist that the shortlist of twelve gets reduced to six on the night with the public having a vote as well.

Seems they\'re announcing the final six in ten minute increments with three more to be announced before the winner is crowned at 10pm.

Would say thank God, this isn\'t decided by the the public as The 1975 won the public vote...absolute final nail in the coffin of the Mercury Prize being taken seriously if that happened.

Laura Mvula and Skepta are also through to the final six.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:38 pm

David Bowie, Radiohead and Michael Kiwanuka are in there as well...do not tell me that Simon \'I love Radiohead, I do!\' doesn\'t have a vote.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:57 pm

And the winner is...Skepta!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:07 pm

And the winner is...Skepta!
Should have backed him after dreaming it last night!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:43 pm

You and me both, fella!

Have somehow still got the William Hill page up and the odds prior to them shutting up shop were apparently...

David Bowie 'evens'
Skepta 2/1
Kano 5/1
Anohni 7/1
Michael Kiwanuka 9/1
Radiohead 14/1
The 1975 16/1
Savages 20/1
Bat for Lashes 33/1
Laura Mvula 33/1
Jamie Woon 33/1
The Comet Is Coming 50/1

I'm guessing through aftereventing that someone was forewarned that one of Kano or Skepta was going to win hence the weird gamble on Kano over at Ladbrokes yesterday but a more informed gamble on Skepta today.

Another ante-post favourite that goes into odds-on gets clobbered as David Bowie joins the likes of Artists for War Child (got beaten by Pulp), The Streets (beaten by Ms. Dynamite), Bat for Lashes (beaten by Klaxons), Burial (beaten by Elbow), Florence and the Machine (beaten by Speech Debelle), Laura Mvula (beaten by James Blake) and FKA twigs (beaten by Young Fathers).

The Mercury Prize sure do pick some stinkers. Hyundai must be wondering what they've got themselves in for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Prize

This new shorter shortlist format is odd. I hope the Man Booker Prize doesn't adopt it.