BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2016

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:30 am

Some Olympians getting 'milestones' may be nominated such as Bradley Wiggins and Katherine Granger (respectively the most 'winningest' male and female British Olympians ever) but Greg Rutherford and Jessica Ennis-Hill won't be in the shortlist of (presumably) twelve.

If Andy Murray beats Juan Martin Del Potro to get another Olympic gold then he's already more of being in the box seat than most folks are...and he's got the US Open and the Davis Cup to come.

Unless a campaign can be mustered for I dunno say um, Mo Farah if he gets the 5000m Olympic gold to go alongside his newly won 10000m Olympic gold (best British track athlete ever?) then it looks ominous already that Andy Murray is your winner. Again.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:13 am

Max Whitlock. Double olympic champion, plus bronze in the all-around. Will that be enough to see off the Wimbedon/Olympic Double by Andy Murray?

Perhaps if Mo did the double then he might be close too.

Surely now a 3 horse race?

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Quite possibly but there are still various gold medals to be won. Andy's fanbase is obvious but Mo Farah's has been 'missing' in BBC SPotY voting over the years and Max Whitlock will need to get some newfound fans...the novelty of being Britain's first ever gold medal winner in a gymnastics event is great but having won another in the space of two hours might help!

Last year's voting figures:

1 - Andy Murray 361,446
2 - Kevin Sinfield 278,353
3 - Jessica Ennis-Hill 79,898
4 - Tyson Fury 72,330
5 - Lewis Hamilton 48,379
6 - Chris Froome 39,007
7 - Mo Farah 31,311
8 - Max Whitlock 25,952
9 - Greg Rutherford 23,492
10 - Lizzie Armitstead 22,356
11 - Adam Peaty 13,738
12 - Lucy Bronze 13,236

Updated outright winner odds from Ladbrokes:

Andy Murray 5/6
Mo Farah 4/1
Max Whitlock 5/1
Jason Kenny 10/1
Laura Trott 12/1
Gareth Bale 16/1
Anthony Joshua 20/1
Adam Peaty 20/1
Bradley Wiggins 25/1
Lewis Hamilton 33/1
Chris Froome 33/1
Becky James 33/1
Jamie Vardy 50/1
Justin Rose 50/1
Mark Cavendish 50/1
Carl Frampton 50/1
Dina Asher-Smith 66/1
Nicola Adams 66/1
Dame Sarah Storey 66/1
Wayne Rooney 100/1
Tyson Fury 100/1
Joe Root 100/1
Rory McIlroy 100/1
Stuart Broad 100/1

...and for 'Team of the Year':

Leicester City 1/7
Any British Olympic Team 5/1
Wales Football Team 7/1
British Olympic Cycling Team 8/1
England Rugby Team 16/1
European Ryder Cup Team 20/1
British Olympic Athletics Team 20/1
Team Sky Cycling 20/1
British Olympic Boxing Team 33/1
British Olympic Swimming Team 50/1
British Olympic Rowing Team 50/1

Not sure why there's odds on 'Any British Olympic Team' and then there are also odds for the Olympic athletics, boxing, cycling, swimming and rowing teams though.

Sort your wording and conditions out, Ladbrokes!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:34 am

We're getting closer and here are the latest odds for the main prize:

My suggested line up as to who ends up as the final twelve so far:

1. Andy Murray (obviously)
2. Mo Farah (GB&NI's greatest ever Olympic track athlete?)
3. Laura Trott (if they're pushing for a female to win then why not GB&NI's most winningest female Olympian?)
4. Jason Kenny (if not her then how about him?)
5. Max Whitlock (GB&NI's first ever gymnastics Olympic gold medalist!)
6. A boxer (possibly Nicola Adams but there's an array of world champions to fall back on)
7. Lewis Hamilton (will be on the list even if he pays Switzerland his taxes)
8. Chris Froome (would have strengthened his chances with an Olympic gold medal as winning three Tour de Frances means 'nothing'!)
9. Nick Skelton (he seems to be ahead of Charlotte Dujardin purely because of sentimentality)
10. Danny Willett (to leave him off the list would be a helluva snub especially if Europe somehow retains the Ryder Cup. I think US Masters easily trumps an Olympic gold medal so no Justin Rose here surely!?)
11. A female Paralympian (the Jordanne Whiley factor here but it may be someone like Ellie Simmonds again)
12. A male Paralympian (ditto David Weir)

I don't expect any footballers on the shortlist just in case a concentrated fanbase hijacks the vote. Gareth Bale is a Champions League winner and led Wales to the semi-finals of Euro 2016...people have won BBC SPotY for 'less' though.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Am moderately surprised Kadeena Cox isn't in the list of possibilities. Admittedly, I had never heard of her before the Paralympics but she ticks all the proverbial boxes now.

Won't win BBC SPotY but very likely to be in the shortlist now after winning gold medals in two different sports....Sarah Storey though, I suppose, though is the most winningest Paralympian of all time so that probably supersedes Kadeena.

Current odds from William Hill:

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Latest odds:

What a difference a week makes as some stunt between the Brownlee brothers propels Alistair into the news.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... lon-series

It helps that he's won consecutive Olympic gold medals and didn't end up on the shortlist last time around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_BBC_ ... Year_Award

Andy Murray ends the year badly despite trying circumstances (missing his maternal grandfather's funeral to play in the Davis Cup) but he may still have a huge fanbase. Lewis Hamilton is tanking but there are still six races to go. There may be question marks over certain people with 'therapeutic usage exemptions' (TUEs).

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2016

Postby stereoman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:36 am

What a difference six or seven weeks make...I wrote him off but he ends the year a winner by doing a 'Vijay Singh' and simply entering more tournaments and getting enough points than anybody else to become world number one and the first British singles player to do so. Is this really the age of Andy Murray as Novak Djokovic declines? We'll have to see...Andy Murray can blow his nose and the BBC would declare him the best thing since sliced toast.

Do find articles like this one by Sporting Life's Dave Tickner rather silly. Andy Murray is Britain's greatest ever sportsperson and he hasn't won the Australian Open or the French Open? Is the bar that 'low'?

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news ... ortsperson

Sports historians must be sniggering into their sleeves when there's Federer, Nadal and Djokovic easily overshadowing Andy Murray's achievements at this moment in time. He might EVENTUALLY be but right now!? An emphatic "NO!!". Fred Perry won ten Grand Slams (eight singles, two doubles) for goodness sake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Perr ... nal_career

Current odds right now:

Barring a campaign for somebody else, it's Andy Murray's to lose.

Leicester CIty's Champions League heroics surely further cements their case for 'Team of the Year' barring the BBC wanting to give something to an Olympic team.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:39 am

Huh. There are *COUGH* SIXTEEN contenders this year...will there be TWENTY contenders for 2020!? It could be if there's too much British sporting achievement to contain in just twelve or less contenders. Bizarre that Nicola Adams is the only one representing any form of combat sports but hey, there you go.

* Nicola Adams
* Gareth Bale
* Alistair Brownlee
* Sophie Christiansen (HUH!?)
* Kadeena Cox
* Mo Farah
* Jason Kenny
* Laura Kenny (nee Trott)
* Andy Murray
* Adam Peaty
* Kate Richardson-Walsh
* Nick Skelton
* Dame Sarah Storey
* Jamie Vardy
* Max Whitlock
* Danny Willett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/38128822

I'd be interested in a match bet of Gareth Bale vs. Jamie Vardy as to who polls higher. I'd assume Gareth Bale would be a favourite but who knows how mad Leicester City fans can be!?

I think Sophie Christiansen and Kadeena Cox are unfortunately the favourites to poll the least amount of votes.

Andy Murray the favourite but a mass vote for Gareth Bale or Jamie Vardy could easily make this look very stupid. Mo Farah would be my vote as he's arguably the greatest British track athlete of all time right now and won't necessarily repeat at Tokyo 2020...give him the award whilst you can. Andy Murray is going to win more Grand Slams unless Novak Djokovic gets his act together and the idea that Andy Murray wins BBC SPotY for the third time in such a short space of time as well is just ridiculous.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:51 am

Is it 1-2 terms in the betting?

If it was 1-2-3 i thought Max Whitlock was overpriced, he seems a humble nice guy and depending on coverage he gets could sneak into a place?

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Ugh. This starts in less than 10 minutes and I completely forgot all about it. All the money seems to be on Nick Skelton to finish in the top three. Racing Post are tipping Laura Trott without Andy Murray and Adam Peaty as a longshot.

Some equestrian event was broadcast on BBC Two this afternoon and I assume there's been a campaign of some sort for Nick Skelton. Alistair Brownlee and Nick Skelton are the only ones who are blue right now. Will put up some screenshots from Oddschecker even though it's far too late now so it'll be a post-morten...have not really bothered with this as I haven't got an angle to bet on. Andy Murray is almost assuredly going to win this as they had some documentary on Radio Five touting him and his amazing year so he is the BBC's chosen one. Again.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:05 pm

The 1, 2, 3 finish...

1. Andy Murray (given to him by Lennox Lewis in Miami!)
2. Alistair Brownlee
3. Nick Skelton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_BBC_ ... Year_Award

The late money proved kind of accurate. Mo Farah was in Dubai. Leicester City win 'Team of the Year' despite some late money on any Olympic team. In a minor surprise, where no bookie dared to put odds up for it, it was Simone Biles who won the Overseas Sports Personality of the Year award...Michael Phelps has never won it! He gets fobbed off with a lifetime achievement award instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/38304289

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:45 pm

The odds for 'outright winner' as they were around 6pm.

The odds for 'without Andy Murray' as Alistair Brownlee defies a late gamble on Nick Skelton.

Odds to place in the top three.

The voting figures.