Biggest Grossing Film of 2016

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re:

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:47 pm

I've contacted Betway> again by chat and they say it's up until the end of the calendar year with the winner declared on 1st January 2017.

Me: It's a bit of a weird question but it's in regards to a specific market and is likely more suited to the traders who put up the odds but I was wondering about what the conditions of the 'Highest Grossing Movie of 2016' bet are? It's under Specials > Movies > Box office. It seems a bit vague. I'm assuming it's 'biggest worldwide gross at the end of 31st December 2016' or something like that but I'm not really sure.
Neil: YEs I can see the market, what is confusing about it?
Me: The conditions of the bet aren't clear as there are none just a sentence of 'Highest Grossing Movie of 2016'. Is it 'highest worldwide gross at the end of 31st December 2016' (which is what I'm assuming it is), just US/Canada (it might be instead) or is it another criteria...I'd like it to be made as clear as possible, please.
Neil: It will be the highest Grossing movie world wide.
Me: ...by 31st December 2016?
Neil: No the 01/01//2017
Me: Alright then, thanks. No idea why there isn't a disclaimer. It's a bit vague.
Neil: The market time frame is listed above the selections.

It's not particularly clear what the conditions of the bet though is it!? Cheeky sort.

Betway> still have odds up for this until the end of the year. Small limits whatever the case.

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' made $742m after three weeks...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... rwars7.htm

...so 'Rogue One' surely is not going to make more than $1.147b between December 14th and the end of the year!?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/cha ... 016&p=.htm
So...I contacted Jetway as the bet hadn't been settled. Then then came back to say Finding Dory was the biggest grossing film of the year then Rouge One then Captain America..!

They've gone with US and Canada!

I went back to them saying the terms and condictions said it was worldwide which contradicts this. Then then said it will be settled this week in a bit of a snotty reply with a general thing about other promotions that they're doing.

Hmmmmmm. Watching this with interest.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Biggest Grossing Film of 2016

Postby stereoman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Looking at the screenshot, it doesn't suggest a thing that it was just US & Canada...that's why I asked. Shenanigans indeed.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Still waiting on it being settle by Betway as the got a third party checking it for them.

Not sure what exactly they're checking...

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Betway paid out! 2/1 winner confirmed!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:34 am

"NOICE!!" Well done for persisting, Lust!

I wonder if they didn't pay out on 'Finding Dory' then!? If they paid out on BOTH results then Betway are not strong-willed enough as that was NOT the right answer AND their liability on 'Finding Dory' must be in four figures plus.

If they had put the stipulation up as 'total worldwide' instead of 'US & Canada' (they didn't do either!) as say, a bookie like Paddy Power would do to make it absolutely and completely 'idiot-proof' or 'liable to not be misinterpreted' then really there shouldn't have been a problem.

If their chat/help or odds compilers said 'US & Canada' not 'worldwide' to other punters then it's a big "OOOPS!!" on their behalf.

I would say 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' could win this year's highest grossing film worldwide but I don't know if any bookie is willing to price it up.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:20 am

Not worth opening a new thread but BWin have a "Which movie will have the highest grossing opening weekend in the USA in 2017?" market up...

EDIT: That doesn't seem to be loading for whatever reason. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stereom ... sort=3&o=0

'Star Wars Episode VIII' is the prohibitive 3/10 favourite and rightly so but there might be one or two lively outsiders and they probably have that considered in the betting with 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' 10/1, 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' 14/1, 'Transformers: The Last Knight' 14/1, 'Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2' 20/1 and 'Beauty and the Beast' 25/1!

'Fifty Shades Darker' is inexplicably quoted at a skinny 14/1 (the original made $166m in it's opening weekend!) and considering it's opening against 'The Lego Batman Movie' and 'John Wick: Chapter 2' (66/1!? I wouldn't bet on it at 666/1!) this weekend, it's surely not going to get a mega $150m weekend let alone anywhere near $200m which is the likely minimum requirement this year.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:19 am

Not worth opening a new thread but BWin> have a "Which movie will have the highest grossing opening weekend in the USA in 2017?" market up...

EDIT: That doesn't seem to be loading for whatever reason. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stereom ... sort=3&o=0

'Star Wars Episode VIII' is the prohibitive 3/10 favourite and rightly so but there might be one or two lively outsiders and they probably have that considered in the betting with 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' 10/1, 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' 14/1, 'Transformers: The Last Knight' 14/1, 'Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2' 20/1 and 'Beauty and the Beast' 25/1!

'Fifty Shades Darker' is inexplicably quoted at a skinny 14/1 (the original made $166m in it's opening weekend!) and considering it's opening against 'The Lego Batman Movie' and 'John Wick: Chapter 2' (66/1!? I wouldn't bet on it at 666/1!) this weekend, it's surely not going to get a mega $150m weekend let alone anywhere near $200m which is the likely minimum requirement this year.
Great find Stereoman. Star Wars should have the biggest opening following the last two movies, the hype and Carrie Fishers untimely death.

Beauty and the Beast at 25/1 is a cracking bet though.thinking cap on..!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Ugh. It won't load. Can't figure out Photobucket.

Imagefree upload pictures

Got it wrong about the first 'Fifty Shades...' film. It made $83m in its first weekend in the US making $166m in its domestic run.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... ofgrey.htm

'Fifty Shades Darker' expected to make around $46-50m this weekend, 'John Wick: Chapter Two' $30m and 'The LEGO Batman Movie' around $52m according to Box Office Mojo.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm

'Beauty and the Beast' sets an early marker being the first film this year to get a $100m+ opening weekend with an estimated $170m but I think when that figure is revised, it has to be a high $160m something instead.

I think nothing more than $200m will win this. Admittedly, I have not had a bet on this as it's at *COUGH, SPIT* BWin but I thought it'd be of interest. I'm sure 'Star Wars Episode VIII' aka 'The Last Jedi' was 3/10 but in that screenshot, it's 3/20 instead. Hmmm.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:23 pm

I mentioned 25/1 was a cracking shout! Never backed it though!

Still think Star Wars will be the top performing of the year.