http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2016/ ... tenti.html

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:37 pm

'Silence' opening on December 23rd.

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2016/ ... tenti.html
Interesting

Paramount got a busy scheduile but happy to push this to the front. Suppoused to be long. No poster. No trailer. But it has a release date.

Any thoughts?

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:10 pm

"The Wolf of Wall Street" crashed the Oscars but "Silence" is going to have to go some with that very late release date if "Arrivals" and "Fences" get a headstart with various critics awards. Paramount may want to have three horses in the Oscars race rather than just two.

Liam Neeson is getting the early notices despite apparently only being in two fairly short scenes but we'll have to see.

"La La Land" goes into 'evens' favourite after winning the audience award at Toronto but there's a fairly long way to go.

Notsofastmyfriend
2yo
Tips

Re: 2017 Oscars

Postby Notsofastmyfriend » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Over the years I have had some success picking the Best Picture winner. I don't always get it right of course, but often do.
So now is the time of year I start looking at the runners and picking my winner. Usually a winner needs to be running from November through to February.
Any later than that, say a film coming out in the New Year; and it's running out of time to gain exposure and popularity.
One needs to always bear in mind the mature traditional profile of the judges. So I always try to view the films through the eyes of say a 65 year old American judge, and not my own perspective.
With that in mind, La La Land is the winner and a worthy odds-on favourite. Traditional, American, love story, musical so different; it ticks all the boxes.
Critics laud it, public laud it, and so the judges will too. Looking at the other runners I don't see any of them coming close.
It is not always the case; but sometimes one can clearly see the winner at this stage. Last year Revenant stood out for me at the same time. I don't usually back Best Director, or Best Actor; but on this occasion I did as I was certain Revenant would win all three. And so it did.
Personally the film isn't something I would watch, nor would I vote for it as a judge. But that is why I take the judges perspective.
With specials betting, one should never let one's heart rule one's head; that is a quick route to the poorhouse.
I never get emotional with betting, win or lose. Never chase a loss, or bet based on emotions. Just think clinically who is best fit to win? More often than not, that will be the winner. One's personal opinion shouldn't come into it.
So although I personally dislike La La Land, I am backing it to win Best Picture. I think now is the time to do so, before the odds drop in the New Year.
Best Actor I tip Casey Affleck (Manchester By The Sea).
Best Actress I tip Emma Stone (La La Land).
Usually I like to bet on Best Director, but next year I will give it a miss; as there isn't a clear winner.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:17 pm

The race for the Oscars is building up. A lot of buzz is circling La La land to win Best Picture but before everyone goes wading in with their hard earned cash, bear this in mind.

Not since Million Dollar Baby in 2004 has a film been released in December and gone on to win the Best Picture Academy Award.

December is proving to be a busy month this year with a lot of films primed for a tilt at the Oscars being released. Along with La La Land there’s Patriots Day which has earned some positive reviews, Jackie which tells the tale of Jackie Kennedy when she briefly became First lady and the Denzil Washington vehicle which he directs and stars in by the name of Fences.

Then throw in Martin Scorsese’s labour of love Silence, Hidden Figures which details the involvement of African American women in the space race and Ben Affleck’s crime epic Live By Night and it’s a crowded race.

Don’t forget there’s been a host of Academy Award friendly films already released. Manchester By The Sea, Arrival, Sully, Hell or High Water, The Jungle Book, Moonlight and Loving all have a chance of featuring.

Of the films released earlier, I like the look of Manchester By the Sea. Hard to think it’s only director Kenneth Lonergan’s third ever film since he made his debut in 2000. Casey Affleck is gaining superb reviews as a man who returns to his old town after the sudden death of his brother.

Manchester By The Sea Best Picture Oscar

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Silence has a trailer. And it looks amazing!

Andrew Garfield takes centre stage, not sure lot of Adam Driver. Could this now be the favourite to win Best Picture?!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:47 am

Well, I'd say it's certainly in the mix but I would say that the 'big two' right now are "Fences" and "La La Land" with "Arrival" (will get a lot of nominations but likely won't win anything), "Lion" (the Weinsteins are backing it!), "Manchester By The Sea" (the one that critics might embrace the most despite Casey Affleck being Nate Parkered right now) and "Moonlight" ("Fences" likely has it beat but Mahershala Ali might end up getting Supporting Actor) not too far behind.

I don't think "Silence" will be golden.

Plummeting like a stone? "The Birth of a Nation" (people can't get over Nate Parker's personal history) and "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" (the reviews have not been good).

Not too many bookies bothering to price categories still.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:37 pm

Golden Globes nominations are out and it looks like a three way race so far between "La La Land", "Manchester By The Sea" and "Moonlight" as to Oscars traction.

"Silence" pretty much a late declaration. It should still be a player for the Oscars though. "The Founder" looks DOA.

Guild nominations are announced soon.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Gutted about The Founder. It looks like it many different release dates may have hampered it's chances along with lukewarm reviews.

As already mention by Stereoman it appears if Liam Nesson's role in Silence isn't that much.

Going to hopefully study this later on. And once I'v done a bit more digging I'll post a tip for the 2018 Oscars!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:18 pm

"Hacksaw Ridge", "Manchester By The Sea" and "Moonlight" get boosts from SAG whilst "La La Land" takes a hit.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/2017-sag-aw ... 201870382/

GeorgeTheBettor
Listed Class
Tips

Postby GeorgeTheBettor » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:21 pm

is it just me or I have a feeling the odds this year are lower for Oscar? maybe when we.ll be closer to event they'll change. For now I.m reserved.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 am

ACE Awards nominations are out...

Drama ~

Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

Comedy ~

Deadpool
Hail, Caesar!
The Jungle Book
La La Land
The Lobster

Writers Guild of America nominations are out...

Original Screenplay ~

Hell or High Water
La La Land
Loving*
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight*

Adapted Screenplay ~

Arrival
Deadpool
Fences
Hidden Figures
Nocturnal Animals

* Not eligible for the corresponding Oscar but they are in Adapted Screenplay instead.