The Next James Bond

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

The Next James Bond

Postby Gman84 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:31 pm

Daniel Craig has made some recent comments that seem to indicate he's had enough of the role although I suspect the studio will attempt to get him to change his mind and do one more before he goes off into the sunset. Apparently things will start in motion for a new movie in Spring this year with the aim of having it out at the back end of 2017. There is a market available and it makes interesting reading:

Tom Hardy - 6/5 William Hill
Aidan Turner - 6/1 Ladbrokes
Damian Lewis - 13/2 Betfair
Henry Cavill - 7/1 Ladbrokes
Idris Elba - 7/1 Betfair
Michael Fassbender - 16/1 Ladbrokes

Personally, I just don't see Tom Hardy as Bond. He has an action pedigree and the "Britishness" you'd like but he just doesn't ooze superspy to me. However, he's popular with young Bond fans winning 22% in a recent poll so maybe I'm letting personal judgement cloud things here but he's no bet at that price for a job that may not even exist.

Poldack star Aidan Turner is also popular but I think he needs more films and a bit of exposure in the States before he can be seriously considered. At 33 he's just a touch on the young side too.

Damian Lewis has good American TV exposure but his film roles tend to be more low key. I couldn't care less but a "ginger" Bond will draw the same sort of talk that the "Blond" Bond of Craig drew.

I'm a massive Luther fan and Idris Elba is building up a very nice film portfolio but whilst I don't see any issue with a black Bond I'm sure some would based purely on the history of the role in film and the books. My issue for him is I think he's too old at 44. By the time it gets to screen he'd be 46/47 and you want a guy that can follow the role up for 10 years which takes him into his late 50's.

Henry Cavill was considered back when Craig got the job in '05 but was considered too young then so he'd be perfect now right? Possibly but does he want to do another high profile gig with the Superman role as well (which looks like it has legs with possible Justice League follow ups to the about to be released Batman vs Superman)? My guess is no.

Michael Fassbender might be the bet at the price. He is slowly building up a nice rounded set of roles, from action hero to Shakespear. The German/Irish actor has won critical acclaim for some of his roles but this would be the role to take him to the top of the film acting tree and possibly open even more doors for him in between Bond films. At 38 he's the perfect age for the role.

Of those not listed I'll offer a quick mention to Tom Hiddlestone who has a good profile from the Avengers/Thor filsm and has openly stated he'd love to do the role. He's got the dapper look the role requires but he may lack a little on grittness that the role, especially in modern times, requires.

For me the bet is Michael Fassbender at 16/1 with Ladbrokes.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm going to watch this from afar.

As far as I know Daniel Craig is under contract for one more film. He's not a fan of doing interviews and I think recent comments were more to do with his mood at the time than his intentions.

He's signed up for a new TV series but think he's got one more Bond in him.

Tom Hiddlestone will put himself right into contention with the spy series on the BBC soon and his fan base is massive.

I'd even through in Benedict Cumberbatch whose beefed up for Doctor Strange.

I'm not going to bet but Dan Stevens appeals. He's got a decent profile from Downton Abbey but it's his appearance in 1980s inspired action pic The guest that could make him a contender. Not only that he's got time on is side too.

Watching from a safe distance just now!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Lust there in that the Radio Times caught Daniel on a bad day (the 'wrists' comment). It'd be silly of Daniel Craig not to do 'Bond 25' (he's throwing away £30 million at least!) but maybe, just maybe, the producers are trying for something different and that it's not up to Daniel.

It's been a bit of a 'grimfest' so far and to me, he can't deliver a one-liner. Other than that the films have the bizzo at the box office and that's all you can really ask for.

It'll eventually be someone 'on the up' who they can tie down to at least a four film deal.

Odds-on quotes of Tom Hardy is very silly imo. I think Michael Fassbender is equally volatile although he's not afraid of being in a big movie franchise.

I believe there was supposed to be a gamble on James Norton ('War and Peace' and the villain from BBC1's 'Happy Valley') not too long after news was announced on Monday that Daniel Craig was doing 'Purity' that US TV series.

Watch from a safe distance indeed. It'll almost certainly be someone British but not particularly high-profile though.

I'd take 'the field' over the ten that The Sun have highlighted though.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... chise.html

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Going to be in the minority but I don't rate Craig as an actor.

In Layer Cake I thought he was terrible and he hasn't really brought a lot to the role of Bond. But that's just my thoughts. He might think I'm a terrible tipster and he'll have a point!

Can see them shaking it up. Someone younger but with an appeal already (can't see Tom Hardy doing well) . Wouldn't be surprised if they addressed the diversity argument as well.

Would love to see big Idris in the role imagine THE SHOUTING but can't see it.

garlicsauce
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby garlicsauce » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:30 pm

I saw somewhere that it was between Hardy and Lewis. I have to say, I wouldn't mind either, but I do like stereoman's shout with James Norton. 12/1 with SkyBet and has been really good in what I've seen him in.

torriejeremyopic
2yo
Tips

Postby torriejeremyopic » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:54 am

What is Leonardo di Caprio became the next Bond since he already won his first Oscar. :lol:

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:02 am

...so anyway, just thought I'd put up the odds as to who will sing the next James Bond theme.

I think someone with taste and more importantly, knowledge of who it was between, almost nobbled the bookies when they tried to place a fairly large amount of money (on what is a niche market) betting on Radiohead. William Hill smelled a proverbial rat and wouldn't accept the bet...hindsight, of course, suggests they should have.

Sam Smith sung one of the worst ever theme songs but it was the first to become a number one single in the UK singles charts and it still won an Oscar...so the producers will pick someone popular and possibly preferably British. I wouldn't rule out the likes of Sia or Lana del Rey though.

I say they'll ask Adele again. It either ends the Daniel Craig era or it begins someone else's...either way *WIN-WIN* for the producers.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:19 am

Off the top of my head the artist on that list who'd interet me most when it came to a Bond theme would be Sia.

Am I right in thinking that Radiohead were asked or maybe did a Bond theme for Spectre? Might be wrong!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:01 pm

You're not wrong as Radiohead's song for 'Spectre' was released by them not too long after the film was released.

It was 'always' going to be Sam Smith (worst kept secret as he kept on denying it before the song was leaked) until the mystery punter tried to put their bet on Radiohead with William Hill making some people scratch their heads as to what was happening.

Maybe Michael G Wilson and/or Barbara Broccoli had a change of heart? Whatever, it worked. It was a horrible horrible song but it got the rewards it did not deserve to get. Well done everybody...drinks all 'round.

...at the end of the day with the James Bond franchise, it's how much money (much like most of the film business) it makes.

I'd imagine Sia could easily be a back-up plan if they can't get Adele. She's got the 'industry cred' to perhaps get a shot at a third 'Best Original Song' Oscar in a row for EON. Sia is so kooky with her "I won't show my face in public!" schtick though.

Wallsendlad
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Wallsendlad » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:22 am

Just thought I would put in a late shout for actor Tom Hiddleston (The Night Manager) a far more credible choice as Bond than Idris Elba or Tom Hardy.

93Treesa
2yo
Tips

Postby 93Treesa » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:15 am

I have only one man in my mind as James Bond and that is Pierce Brosnan.I can\'t imagine any other person in his place.Die another day is still in my mind.So the best is Pierce.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun May 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Huh. Coral suspended betting after taking bets on Tom Hiddleston?

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/james ... e-slashed/

Everybody else has been scared off though and has taken evasive action as though it's a done deal. I'll believe it when I see it.

EDIT: Here's Betfair's very long list...

Tom Hiddleston
4/6
Aiden Turner
5/2
Tom Hardy
8/1
Idris Elba
8/1
Damian Lewis
14/1
Henry Cavill
14/1