NME Awards

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

NME Awards

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Alright,

I've posted a blog on the NME Awards and on the back of it here's my tips.

Bear in mind it's an awards ceremony voted for by the public. The on line vote needs to be do e through he NME for which you need to register or do it through Facebook. There's over twenty categories so if you wanted to vote for up just one you e got a lot of clicking to do to vote!

Best International Band - The Foo Fighters 11/8

The Foos have won this twice already while Dave Grohl has also won the Godlike Genius Award. Grohl came back after breaking his leg and he's a general all round nice guy.

The Killers are also nominated in this category and they've won it numerous times. They're probably The Foo Fighters biggest rivals but I think this belongs to Grohl and co.

Best Live Act - Foals 5/1

I like the Foal and not just in this category. They are a cracking live act who've moved to the heralding arena tours and won't you look out of place headlining festivals. The Libertines are in this and have a passionate following but Foals have won two of the lat three Q awards for best live act, like this voted for by the public.

Villain of the Year - Donald Trump 13/8

Politicians do well in this category or not so well depending on how you look at it. George W Bush has won this five times and David Cameron, nominated this year is a previous winner.

I think Donald Trump is a contender this year. The American presidential candidate has been hitting the headlines for his stance on Mexicans, Muslims and the British. He's not very popular and in many peoples eyes is a prize villain!

Best New Act - Halsey 7/2

I'm not an expert on the nominations this year but I have heard of the American singer songwriter. I think a bit things in her favour is her popularity. She's got over 1 million Twitter followers, more than the ret of the nominations combined. It doesn't transfer into success but it does give her the potential to have a lot more votes cast. She tweeted her nomination and the link to vote and it got over 4000 retweets.

Hero of the Year - Taylor Swift 50/1

Jeremy Corbyn is odds on favourite and it's quite a tough category. Abeles in it, everybody loves her. Dave Grolh and two Glastonbury stars in Florence Welch and Kanye West are in it too. But I think Taylor Swift is great value.

If this was a popularity contest Ms Swift would walk it. She has 67 million twitter followers and there's already been a mention of the competition. She also has twitter followers who post links to voting competitions like this.

It seems crazy to think that someone like Taylor Swift would be seen as a hero to the NME and it's fans. But she's the biggest pop star in the world just now and is well liked, even by that cool and the hipsters.

The odds are big but I think she has a great chance to win. Cast your mind back to faience years ago. Lady Gaga was the biggest pop star in the world who everyone liked. Not only that but she had millions of followers on Twitter, ones who knew how to vote.

And vote they did because unlikely as it seemed five years ago Lady Gaga was voted the hero of the year in the NME awards...

Meant to say all prices were from Paddy Power

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:24 am

Don't really follow this with any conviction but it seems to be a 'you turn up because you've been told you have won' type of affair unless it's a pre-recorded acceptance speech by video such as over at the Brit Awards.

The odds from Paddy Power:

Best Album ~

The Maccabees - Marks to Prove It 7/4
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly 7/4
Tame Impala - Currents 10/3
Grimes - Art Angels 4/1
Foals - What Went Down 5/1
Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool 9/1

I'd say Foals or The Maccabees likely have a big enough fanbase to take this down.

Best Track ~

The Libertines - Gunga Din 6/5
Coldplay - Adventure of A Lifetime 7/4
Foals - What Went Down 10/3
The Weekend - I Can't Feel My Face 5/1
Wolf Alice - Giant Peach 9/1
Skepta - Shut Down 10/1

Traditionally Coldplay have some sort of mad fanbase who are organized but I may be wrong.

Best British Band ~

The Libertines 8/13
Wolf Alice 5/2
Foals 4/1
The Maccabees 6/1
The 1975 8/1
Catfish and the Bottlemen 14/1

The Libertines have to win something, right? It's such a disparate year though with essentially no solid consensus.

Best International Band ~

Foo Fighters 11/8
The Strokes 9/4
Tame Impala 4/1
The Killers 6/1
Alabama Shakes 7/1
Run The Jewels 7/1

Hmmm. Who have the NME invited? Some painfully hip bands here with the 'hippest hipster' vote likely going to Run The Jewels. Foo Fighters if this is genuinely down to a fanvote though.

Best Solo Artist ~

Adele 4/7
Noel Gallagher 5/2
Skepta 5/1
Florence Welch 5/1
Ed Sheeran 9/1
Charli XCX 10/1

Could be Adele for gatecrashing 2015 but Noel Gallagher or Florence Welch are more likely to turn up.

Best International Solo Artist ~

Kanye West 11/10
Kendrick Lamar 9/4
Lana Del Ray 4/1
Grimes 5/1
Courtney Barnett 7/1
Taylor Swift 10/1

Hipster picks? Kendrick Lamar and Courtney Barnatt. Grimes also has an accompanying Best Album nomination and could be a spoiler though.

Best New Artist ~
Hinds 13/8
Lapsley 7/2
Halsey 7/2
Ratboy 5/1
Yak 5/1
Formation 6/1

Am so 'out of the loop' that I have no idea who any of these are supposed to be even if you dangled £1 million under my nose. Male, female, group...nope, not without the use of a search engine, would I know who they were.

Best Live Band ~
The Libertines 4/7
Maccabees 10/3
Foals 5/1
Wolf Alice 6/1
Royal Blood 8/1
Catfish and the Bottlemen 10/1

Have never rated The Libertines as good but the thing is...have they got enough fans to stuff the ballot? I dunno. Foals are a good shout. Royal Blood who can act as a spoiler seems so 'last year' now.

Hero Of The Year ~

Jeremy Corbyn 1/3
Adele 9/4
Dave Grohl 6/1
Florence Welch 10/1
Taylor Swift 50/1
Kanye West 100/1

The 'right-on' pick is Jeremy Corbyn. How is anyone on this shortlist of six a 'hero' though?

Villain Of The Year ~

Kanye West 5/4
Donald Trump 13/8
David Cameron 3/1
Simon Cowell 6/1
George Osbourne 9/1
Chris Moyles 16/1

The 'right-on' pick has to be Donald Trump and is the only one out of any of these that I'd willingly bet on . Simon Cowell has been one of the forces behind the decline in quality of British entertainment but he is ITV's hero.

Last year's nominees and winners:

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/74862
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/75736

Mod edit: The forum rules clearly state NO discussion of money on the forum,thank you.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:10 am

Mod edit: The forum rules clearly state NO discussion of money on the forum,thank you.
Have to laugh that the 'dangled £1 million under my nose' isn't edited then though.

Hmmm. If anyone was wondering what it was that was edited, it was the limits that Paddy Power would allow me for betting on Donald Trump which I feel is a legitimate point if anyone is going to state that they bet more than that amount (not the £1 million being dangled under my nose though!). You're hardly betting obscenely high amounts of money and if anybody has then they've likely been lying and I've just stated what the likely limits were.

Overzealous in the extreme, mods.

DAVIDADAN
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby DAVIDADAN » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:35 am

Stereoman, please keep the discussion on track as regards the forum topic.
Use the contact form if you wish to raise any concerns as regards your comments been edited, Thank you.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:45 am

Where is the contact form then?

Also, I have been 'on track'. Discussing in brief detail what the limits of an amount that Paddy Power will accept is being 'on track'.

DAVIDADAN
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby DAVIDADAN » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:57 am

Stereoman, the rules are you cannot discuss money, simple.
There is however nothing wrong with stating you were limited,which you did not refer to.
If the thread continues to veer off topic then i shall lock it.

As regards the contact form you can find it at bottom of the main page: here is a link.

http://www.olbg.com/contact.php

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:01 am

OK, in the future I will state my stakes were limited if such a situation arises again. You should have stated that in the first place! Simple.

What about the £1 million dangled under my nose though!? :lol:

Also, I have never been 'off topic'. Simple.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 pm

A coup coup points of interest.

Firstly, Taylor Swift has been names as one of the NME's People Of The Year for being the worlds most powerful pop stars. Doesn't' have a direct bearing on this this it's voted for by the public but she's been shortened from 50/1 to 10/1.

Also Paddy Power don't appear to be taking bets on Villain of the Year. Has Donald Trump got it sewn up already?

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Best New Artist ~
Hinds 13/8
Lapsley 7/2
Halsey 7/2
Ratboy 5/1
Yak 5/1
Formation 6/1

Am so 'out of the loop' that I have no idea who any of these are supposed to be even if you dangled £1 million under my nose. Male, female, group...nope, not without the use of a search engine, would I know who they were.
Without wishing to sound like a hipster I know a few of these and I'm not just saying it because I prefer Lapsley but I feel she is the standout here in price and in music ability too. Only 19 years old as well which might help her in terms of how impressive her breakthrough is.
Euro 2016 -Name The Finalists
Euro 2016 -Poland Preview - 50/1?
Follow me on Twitter - @w2dyer

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Best New Artist ~
Hinds 13/8
Lapsley 7/2
Halsey 7/2
Ratboy 5/1
Yak 5/1
Formation 6/1

Without wishing to sound like a hipster I know a few of these and I'm not just saying it because I prefer Lapsley but I feel she is the standout here in price and in music ability too. Only 19 years old as well which might help her in terms of how impressive her breakthrough is.
Cheers for the input!

The only acts I'd heard of are Hinds and Halsey. I'm sticking with Halsey because of the following she has but really have no idea!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:05 am

Hmmm. 17th February and they've invited Coldplay as this year's recipient of the Godlike Genius Award!? Britain's run out of 'godlike geniuses' to get to Coldplay then.

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/90835

OT: All the value at the Brit Awards have been taken. Looks like Adele will win at least two, James Bay wins British Male and Coldplay wins British Group.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Hmmm. 17th February and they've invited Coldplay as this year's recipient of the Godlike Genius Award!? Britain's run out of 'godlike geniuses' to get to Coldplay then.

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/90835

OT: All the value at the Brit Awards have been taken. Looks like Adele will win at least two, James Bay wins British Male and Coldplay wins British Group.
Contemplated The Brits but odds were horrendous. Almost as much as some if the nominations themselves!