Sports Personality Of The Year

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:18 am

APROPOS OF NOTHING: Roy Brindley complaining on Twitter that SportingBet apparently rescinded on a £500 bet he had at 14/1 on Katarina Thompson-Johnson and that he has a portfolio of SEVEN (the tweet's been deleted since) as to who will be this year's BBC SPotY. It then turns out that it will be honoured even though he's Irish and placed the bet using a UK debit/credit card.

https://twitter.com/RoyTheBoyF1/status/ ... 08?lang=en
https://twitter.com/RoyTheBoyF1/status/ ... 60?lang=en

I can only realistically see three (Froome, Hamilton and McCoy) plus the odd one or two 'out of nowhere' surprises between now and December NOT seven. I don't think a cricketer will factor into it unless there's a VERY strong campaign isolating a particular one for support.

No idea who set up this Twitter account...

https://twitter.com/KJT4SPOTY?lang=en

I can't see KJT winning this year's SPotY either.

Tony McCoy has a documentary film about him 'Being AP' to be shown at the Toronto international Film Festival.

http://tiff.net/festivals/festival15/tiffdocs/being-ap

If there's a similar campaign as to when he won SPotY in 2010 then Tony McCoy has a chance.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:38 am

KJ-T couldn't even record a score for the long jump and goes from first to nowhere fast. It leaves Jessica Ennis-Hill more-or-less a free shot at gold with the other double-barrelled surname Brianne Theisen-Eaton her nearest rival now.

Ouch, Roy.

OT: It was some Wikipedia funster who put Deep Blue as having won the BBC Overseas award back in 1997. It was of course, Swiss miss Martina Hingis who actually won it.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Updated odds:

Can't imagine KJ-T would have jumped to the top of the queue if she had won so what makes JE-H so special!? Roy had the right thinking but backed the wrong one...doubt the JE-H gamble comes off though.

Usain Bolt proves the doubters wrong and moves in to 5/2 second favourite behind Serena Williams who is 8/11 to win the Overseas award. He surely won't win this year as they'll save it for NEXT year for Bolt's 'retirement'.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 pm

Tony McCoy's odds have plummeted off a cliff as he's gone to 14/1 and worse. The liabilities must be smaller as the faith is not keeping that it will be his year.

The ten seem to be getting more cemented though:

Jessica Ennis-Hill (the only female worthy of consideration so far this year)
Mo Farah (will cement his place if he wins the 5,000 metres)
Chris Froome (duh)
Tony McCoy (duh)
Adam Peaty (two swimming golds is surely enough?)
Joe Root (man of the series at this year's Ashes so cricket's focus)
Greg Rutherford (career grand slam in the um, long jump)

I think there are three more places after that and one or two will likely go to females. Dina Asher-Smith being nibbled at, at around 50s as she's got a live chance in sneaking a win in the women's 200 metres (think it's going to Dafne Schippers, myself though).

Boxing must have a representative considering there are numerous world champions but who gets the focus!? Someone's going to have to get the boot off my list of seven if England somehow wins the rugby union World Cup.

Lewis Hamilton isn't home and hosed yet for a third F1 title.

Will Stuart Broad be favoured over James Anderson?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Ashes_series

Serena Williams 5/4 and Usain Bolt 11/8 for the Overseas award. If Serena wins the US Open and they still give to Usain Bolt then wow, the power of having 'saved' athletics is mesmerising. If Serena loses the US Open then wow, that gives the BBC every justification to give it to Usain for a FOURTH time.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:08 am

After last night it's no surprise Tyson Fury has tumbled in odds to 5/1 to win. Judging by his singing or confidence I wouldn't rule him out of winning X Factor and getting a number one at Christmas too!

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:40 am

What about Jamie vardy. 11 consecutive games scored. At what point does he get into the reckoning?

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:43 am

After last night it's no surprise Tyson Fury has tumbled in odds to 5/1 to win. Judging by his singing or confidence I wouldn't rule him out of winning X Factor and getting a number one at Christmas too!
Personality wise he's a nightmare though. Openly homophobic, hated by a lot of people and rightly so.
Euro 2016 -Name The Finalists
Euro 2016 -Poland Preview - 50/1?
Follow me on Twitter - @w2dyer

bobslay13
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby bobslay13 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:44 am

Has to be Andy Murray for me. Brought the Davis Cup back to life for British fans.
Euro 2016 -Name The Finalists
Euro 2016 -Poland Preview - 50/1?
Follow me on Twitter - @w2dyer

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:31 am

I I it's quite open this year. Jessica Ennis Hill, Andy Murray, Tyson Fury, Lewis Hamilton, Jamie Vardy and maybe even Rory McIlroy all have a shout.

More so than my original selection of Sam Burgess!

:lol:

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:01 am

Agree with LustForLeith
it's quite open this year...

First don t forget about Frankie Dettori. what a season he had and Golden Horn.
Which i have already taken ages ago..
Can t believe Frankie price is drifting.

Just shows what a couple of weeks does..
Someone out of the pack come from nowhere..
Such as now: Tyson Fury, and Davis cup team.

Love to See Andy Murray win it, and Davis cup team.
Know can t wait for it, as now getting nearer..
But of course be rooting on for Frankie.. :hope: :cool:

The Shark
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Shark » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:56 am

As with similar markets such as X Factor, I'm A celeb etc. it isn't about who we think should win or who is the best, its about the demographic watching and who they will vote for.

Cycling, Tennis, F1 have always been very popular with the BBC audience.

Hamilton clearly has a lot of fans and voters in this, with 1 win and 2 runner up spots so perhaps there could be some Each Way value there at around 14/1? In fact there hasnt been a British F1 world champion who hasnt been placed 1 or 2 in this in he same year since 1964.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:40 pm

As with similar markets such as X Factor, I'm A celeb etc. it isn't about who we think should win or who is the best, its about the demographic watching and who they will vote for.

Cycling, Tennis, F1 have always been very popular with the BBC audience.

Hamilton clearly has a lot of fans and voters in this, with 1 win and 2 runner up spots so perhaps there could be some Each Way value there at around 14/1? In fact there hasnt been a British F1 world champion who hasnt been placed 1 or 2 in this in he same year since 1964.
Great insight there Shark. BBC give a lot of coverage to F1 too as well.

Jamie Vardy didn't make the shortlist :shock: