Sports Personality of the year (Overseas)

Dammo Qwirky
Stallion
Tips

Postby Dammo Qwirky » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:17 pm

If the award is voted for by Brits, surely Warne wont win it either. Altho its really the result of several consecutive victories, having Armstrong as winner of foreign sports personailty of year just for winning the one main race may not register with a few people. Fed has been pretty good most of the year but with Nadal coming thru like he has, has slightly taken gloss of his year. Seems good value tho all the same.

Graham V Green
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Graham V Green » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:13 pm

I was under the impression that this award was chosen internally at the BBC. If anyone knows for sure, please confirm.

I'm on Armstrong @ 6/4 & was none too pleased when the drug allegations cropped up. If the allegations are not substantiated, I cannot see how this would negatively influence the decision of the BBC.

The fight against Cancer, the charity wristbands and winning the physically demanding Tour so many times makes him a worthy favourite. Factor in the retirement and he should be nailed on.

As for Woods and Federer, they're going to be around for a few more years yet. Furthermore, nothing achieved this year that they personally haven't achieved in previous years.

A few months back, SkyTv did a programme, the greatest sportsman of all time. I was told Muhammed Ali won, with Armstrong 2nd.

zagreb
Stallion
Tips

Postby zagreb » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:31 am

Watching the 5th test i am backing Flintoff for Sports personality of the Year and the way he is going may well have him for the xmas number 1 and Grand National :lol:

Dammo Qwirky
Stallion
Tips

Postby Dammo Qwirky » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:15 pm

Its in the bag alright but absolutely no value in 1.2. Whoever it was that said vaughan would win it cant be too confident any more!

Will8ace
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Will8ace » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:07 pm

Ricky Ponting has to be in with a shout. No?

Antony OLBG
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Antony OLBG » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:01 pm

Anyone think Armstrong might be value now at 3.1 given
- the Ashes hype will die off by the end of the year and while Warnes been great he has been on the losing side (probably!)
- Armostrongs drugs issues seem to be going away a bit in the last few days

Graham V Green
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Graham V Green » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:51 pm

If we assume that Freddie wins the individual award and England the team award, I think it's too much asking a cricketer (Warne) to win the overseas award. Maybe Warne will win it in a couple of years , when he retires after the Ashes series in Oz.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO VOTES FOR THIS AWARD?
I'm sure it's decided internally at the BBC.

I'm seriously considering going in big, on Armstrong again @ 11/5.[/b]

John the Baptist
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby John the Baptist » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:26 pm

Im sure that the only award the public vote for is the Sports Personality of the Year (going by previous years). That means that the others (Team, Overseas etc...) are probably decided by the 'experts' at the BBC.